Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
Very interested in finding out which terminal they are using and how early you can arrive and how the terminal is laid out. In particular, where the supervisors station is at, once you get to the check in area. We are on the May Panama Canal cruise and are hoping to upgrade at the port.
Many Thanks,
They use Terminal F, which is near the end closest to downtown Miami and the basketball arena. The luggage/drop off area is a mess, and you just have to find someone to take your bags. You enter and go upstairs, through security, and then down another hall to the check in area. It's like at an airport with the check in stations along the windows on your left and seating areas directly in front. The supervisor's desk is the first window to your left, the castaway club the next 8 or so, and the regular check in all the remaining windows. We got there about 11 and they were letting everyone in. It was rather crowded, but our cruise was full (CHristmas) so lots of kids, strollers, carry on bags. It isn't anywhere near as big as Port Canaveral.

To board the ship, there is another escalator at the far end of the terminal, and then you walk back along a gangway a level above the check in windows, so everyone can see you boarding (characters are often walking up there too). There is a photo area, then another KTTW check in, then another twisting gangway, and finally you board on to the 4th deck of the Wonder.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer
 
Shazzasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
I just got off the Wonder. What would you like to know?
Thanks! Just interested in approximately how long it took to get off the ship - the lines to get off and the customs process. I know it will vary by cruise, just trying to figure what time to have the car service pick us up. We are thinking of aiming for 9am.

We did a Dream cruise last April out of PC, and the only bad part of the trip was disembarkation. It was a zoo getting off and a long wait for customs (which I understand isn't the norm).
__________________
Sharon
Shazzasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd

Thanks! Just interested in approximately how long it took to get off the ship - the lines to get off and the customs process. I know it will vary by cruise, just trying to figure what time to have the car service pick us up. We are thinking of aiming for 9am.

We did a Dream cruise last April out of PC, and the only bad part of the trip was disembarkation. It was a zoo getting off and a long wait for customs (which I understand isn't the norm).
9 might have been a little early for our cruise because we got into miami a little later then usual due to the weather. Also your breakfast time is assigned from your dinner time. Early seating was assigned 7am breakfast and 2nd seating had an 8:15 breakfast assignment. We went to breakfast @ 815 and while we were they they cleared the 1st people to go around 8:45 or so. You have to wait for your luggage tag color/character to be called. Which I'm sure is tied to your breakfast time.

It probably took maybe a half hour or so once cleared to leave ship, find luggage and wait for customs. The lines were moving at a nice pace.

Then all hell breaks loose when you get outside where everyone is waiting for their rides.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
9 might have been a little early for our cruise because we got into miami a little later then usual due to the weather. Also your breakfast time is assigned from your dinner time. Early seating was assigned 7am breakfast and 2nd seating had an 8:15 breakfast assignment. We went to breakfast @ 815 and while we were they they cleared the 1st people to go around 8:45 or so. You have to wait for your luggage tag color/character to be called. Which I'm sure is tied to your breakfast time.

It probably took maybe a half hour or so once cleared to leave ship, find luggage and wait for customs. The lines were moving at a nice pace.

Then all hell breaks loose when you get outside where everyone is waiting for their rides.
I agree. I think we cleared customs at 7:15, but we were in the LAST luggage group to clear and it was almost 10 before we got out. There was a big stoppage, they told us to get in line, and then we didn't move for about 20 minutes.

If you need to be in the first luggage tag group, ask. Our tablemates didn't understand, and also had the last luggage tag group. They couldn't retrieve their luggage, but got 'earlier' tags so could get in the line earlier. If you have a flight or need to get moving, you can either do 'self-walk off' and keep all your luggage with you, or you can get the earliest tags from GS.

If you need to do early breakfast, ask your head waiter or just go to BBB.

Outside, just get a taxi! The shuttles are crazy.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer
 
Shazzasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 343

Thanks for the advice. We may adjust our time.

We aren't worried about eating breakfast - would just prefer to get off as easily as possible. We have a car picking us up, I imagine that will be a nightmare finding it.

We've lots of experience with the Miami airport, and it can be a zoo. I can only imagine the terminal.
__________________
Sharon
Shazzasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Melissa S
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 613

Can anyone confirm if there was express check off at MIA? We did it NYC and loved it. We had breakfast at the buffet and were off the boat by 7am and DH was on time for work. Although in March we won't have the pressure of being at work that day, it was nice not having to wait for luggage and try to make it through the crowds.
__________________
Magic May 10, 2015 (5 night)
Magic September 27, 2014 (7 night) (first cruise as gold! )

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S
Can anyone confirm if there was express check off at MIA? We did it NYC and loved it. We had breakfast at the buffet and were off the boat by 7am and DH was on time for work. Although in March we won't have the pressure of being at work that day, it was nice not having to wait for luggage and try to make it through the crowds.
Yes they had it, BUT because of the weather we didn't get to Miami until around 8:00. Nobody was cleared to leave the ship until maybe 8:30-8:45ish.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
Can anyone confirm if there was express check off at MIA? We did it NYC and loved it. We had breakfast at the buffet and were off the boat by 7am and DH was on time for work. Although in March we won't have the pressure of being at work that day, it was nice not having to wait for luggage and try to make it through the crowds.
Yes, there were people who toted their own luggage off at 7:15. One thing that is very different than Port Canaveral is that the porter are not as plentiful and not as helpful. In PC, we were asked 10 times in the luggage room if we needed help, and not once in Miami. I had a pocketful of $$1, and no takers. I also thought the customs people were a little slower in Miami.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
liz4820
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
I just got off the Wonder. What would you like to know?
hi just wondering if there's a specific order they let you off to the islands in? Does it get really crazy when you're getting off in Cast Away cay? I have 3 kids and just want to know what to expect.
liz4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz4820
hi just wondering if there's a specific order they let you off to the islands in? Does it get really crazy when you're getting off in Cast Away cay? I have 3 kids and just want to know what to expect.
We didn't go to CC. We went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. In Grand Cayman you need to go to the BV theatre and get a tender ticket. The tender were leaving with hardly anyone on them. We were in the theatre about 8:30 and waited with about 60 for the next tender. All said about 100 because we're on the tender. The whole process from the time we went to the theatre till we hit land was about 30 minutes.

In Cozumel you left whenever you wanted too. Just walked right off.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999
 
cwdefouw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
They use Terminal F, which is near the end closest to downtown Miami and the basketball arena. The luggage/drop off area is a mess, and you just have to find someone to take your bags. You enter and go upstairs, through security, and then down another hall to the check in area. It's like at an airport with the check in stations along the windows on your left and seating areas directly in front. The supervisor's desk is the first window to your left, the castaway club the next 8 or so, and the regular check in all the remaining windows. We got there about 11 and they were letting everyone in. It was rather crowded, but our cruise was full (CHristmas) so lots of kids, strollers, carry on bags. It isn't anywhere near as big as Port Canaveral.

To board the ship, there is another escalator at the far end of the terminal, and then you walk back along a gangway a level above the check in windows, so everyone can see you boarding (characters are often walking up there too). There is a photo area, then another KTTW check in, then another twisting gangway, and finally you board on to the 4th deck of the Wonder.

Nancy
Thanks for this very good description. Now I know exactly what to expect.
__________________
DCL Platinum Castaway Club
DVC Member since 1999

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
Thanks for this very good description. Now I know exactly what to expect.
Except that I screwed up - the supervisor's desk is the first on the RIGHT. All the check in windows are on the RIGHT as you walk in from security.

Sorry.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran
 
RedxPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 1 hr to WDW :: 30 mins to PC
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz4820
hi just wondering if there's a specific order they let you off to the islands in? Does it get really crazy when you're getting off in Cast Away cay? I have 3 kids and just want to know what to expect.
When we visited CC on the Magic last year, debark was quick, not what I would consider crazy. The ship docks at CC, so just wait for the all ashore announcement and walk off in line with everyone else. Getting back on is even easier... as they don't have to check you nearly as closely because you are on their island not a foreign port.
__________________
Kristina - CM Summer of '01 - Main Street, MK || Marc || Sofie (1.5)

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
Gracies Moms
Mouseketeer
 
Gracies Moms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 118

Shipping a box to Miami Port

For those of you that sailed out of Miami - Did anyone mail anything to the port ahead of time? Any issues? Have any info?

We're thinking we MIGHT have to ship our FE gifts ahead of time.

Thanks!
__________________
Gracies Moms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.