Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.
 
Radiorox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 554

Been there, done that, bought numerous t-shirts. I am one of those - start and stop - workout persons... It goes well for a while and then I hit a wall... a big wall and it derails all of my efforts.

I am going to eradicate that this year by setting small goals and once achieved I set another small goal... and onward.

I also do a breathing technique.. Sit quietly and breathe in what you "want" and breathe out what you don't want. Something like *breathe in* "Eat Healthier" *breathe out* "Addiction to junk food." Sometimes those techniques help balance me.

One of the doctor's that I work with gave me a good piece of advice that I am starting to rely on more and more. "Don't TRY to do things, just do it... To try is to lie, to do is to be true." He was correct, when you 'try' at something that means you are mentally setting yourself up to fail. When you 'do' something, you are in motion, no matter how small the activity to goal is.

Keep your chin up, just find the time here and there. You only have 10 mins, fine! Do 10 mins! It's better than doing nothing.

Good luck!
Jackie
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work
 
RangerPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 3,767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Phooey
What gets me back on the wagon is the realization that I can no longer do what I was able to do before.

When I'm really REALLY down, I listen to the first few episodes of the Running to Disney podcast. The first marathon episode is particularly inspiring. I love it because he is a mere mortal, an overweight slowbie just like me, and he finished the marathon. And it just brings out that "Yeeeeeeah! I can do it too! I gotta get to work!" feeling.
I feel the same way. I've also made too many excuses (family, work, obligations, etc) but decided that I need to do something for me, and get close to what I was on ex able to do.

Thanks for the tip about the podcast, I'll have to look those up...after I figure out how to download them. Ya I'm technologically challenged.
__________________
Keri

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
BackstoryWorthy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Every one of us started somewhere and had a rude awakening (at least once!).
What you did in the past can't be changed but what you do going forward can change everything. Even small changes are worthwhile. Even small steps get you closer to the goal. Even small victories should be celebrated. YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!!!!
This is so true. I started with a goal last year that I actually (or "only" if I am beating myself up) reached the 50% mark of and because life happened and I did not make the self-imposed deadline of my goal - well, I let that failure derail any more forward progress. My last trip to Disney was still as Chubs McButterpants as far as I was concerned, regardless of the weight I had lost.

And this month, much to my family's (ahem and neighbors') surprise , I think I may be now having a mid-life-crisis to my benefit because I have been sticking with my Galloway training into week 4 - even with windchill into the -degrees (to be fair, I only did my intervals for 25 minutes and I was in cozy layers today). I recently was talked into a 5k run/walk in March to get 1st event jitters out of my system in a more relaxed setting as I had already signed up for a "bigger" 5k RUN later this Spring.

It just feels different this time. It is about progress not perfection. I get the urge to quit, to STOP THIS, every 5th step through the first 3/4 mile every time, but it passes. It really is mental, especially for newbies, the slow goers like me. I get HUNGRY now - how to diet and Galloway? Well, the baggies of cooked chicken and sweet potato and broccoli - they may be dumb and unimaginative but they help when I am hungry and working and need to EAT and the drive in would be the only other choice. I make turkey chili by the gallon. I love turkey bacon as much as my dog does. I make beans and greens. I eat. I actually am WANTING to do this now - what clicked? But it clicked.

No embarrassment. No excuses. YOU have this. It WILL click.

Read these WISH boards for inspiration - I have read Princess on the Run's and Buckeye Cinderella's posts (and so many others...I just don't recall all the names) and I am amazed at what training and sheer will can result in. I may never run a half marathon, but I will keep on this path, even if it just means I beat my husband in a 5k one day

Last edited by BackstoryWorthy; 01-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
BackstoryWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
shannon006
DIS Veteran
 
shannon006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703

Wow, I have read all these posts, and you are an amazing bunch. I will be 44 in April, and desperately need to get myself and my DH healthy and active. I will be staying on the WISH boards for encouragement and to help encourage others.

For me, I would LOVE to look better of course, but as I said I am almost 44, the mother of 6, ages 5-24, and want to live a LONG and HEALTHY life for my children and grandchildren. I want to be the granmmy(thats what I hope to be called , one day when I am a grandmother, lol) who attends all the grandkids events, takes them on vacation, of course to WDW, and has fun overnighters. I fear at the weight I am, needing to lose 50 lbs, I won't be able to do those things. So that is my motivation, and this time I WILL DO IT!
__________________
Offsite 1995,,2000,2002,2009, CBR 1995, CR 1995,ASMO 1998,AKL 2010, POP 1/12, POP 5/12 POP 9/13 AKV 1/14
shannon006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,325

Got that right Shannon! You will do it. We ALL can do it.

I made a lot of excuses for a lot of years, and felt sorry for myself plenty of times. The thing is, that gets you nowhere. You can't do anything about the time that is gone. All you can do is go from here. You can do anything if your head is in the right place. If I can do this, I know anyone can.
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran
 
runsandjumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 704

I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I am in day 7 of not making excuses and not getting down on myself. Even with a party this weekend I have managed to lose inches.

Although my body is sore from going from nothing to at least 1 hour a day. I am proud of myself for not letting anything get in my way! Some days I would do a 1 hour class and then the weight room.

I am starting to feel like my old self again.

The energy is incredible!
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran
 
Quicklabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,737

Yay for you! Your positive energy comes through your post.

Enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps View Post
I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I am in day 7 of not making excuses and not getting down on myself. Even with a party this weekend I have managed to lose inches.

Although my body is sore from going from nothing to at least 1 hour a day. I am proud of myself for not letting anything get in my way! Some days I would do a 1 hour class and then the weight room.

I am starting to feel like my old self again.

The energy is incredible!
__________________

A house without a dog is just a shelter.
Wag more; bark less[
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran
 
Quicklabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,737

Love the way you're using mindful breathing.

Isn't it amazing the difference breathing in and breathing out this way makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
Been there, done that, bought numerous t-shirts. I am one of those - start and stop - workout persons... It goes well for a while and then I hit a wall... a big wall and it derails all of my efforts.

I am going to eradicate that this year by setting small goals and once achieved I set another small goal... and onward.

I also do a breathing technique.. Sit quietly and breathe in what you "want" and breathe out what you don't want. Something like *breathe in* "Eat Healthier" *breathe out* "Addiction to junk food." Sometimes those techniques help balance me.

One of the doctor's that I work with gave me a good piece of advice that I am starting to rely on more and more. "Don't TRY to do things, just do it... To try is to lie, to do is to be true." He was correct, when you 'try' at something that means you are mentally setting yourself up to fail. When you 'do' something, you are in motion, no matter how small the activity to goal is.

Keep your chin up, just find the time here and there. You only have 10 mins, fine! Do 10 mins! It's better than doing nothing.

Good luck!
Jackie
__________________

A house without a dog is just a shelter.
Wag more; bark less[
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps
I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I am in day 7 of not making excuses and not getting down on myself. Even with a party this weekend I have managed to lose inches.

Although my body is sore from going from nothing to at least 1 hour a day. I am proud of myself for not letting anything get in my way! Some days I would do a 1 hour class and then the weight room.

I am starting to feel like my old self again.

The energy is incredible!
Congratulations!
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
BackstoryWorthy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps View Post
I am in day 7 of not making excuses and not getting down on myself. Even with a party this weekend I have managed to lose inches.
Although my body is sore from going from nothing to at least 1 hour a day. I am proud of myself for not letting anything get in my way! Some days I would do a 1 hour class and then the weight room.
I am starting to feel like my old self again.
BackstoryWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Iris82
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23

Congratulations. I think you need to take one day at a time and not expect too much of yourself.
When I feel a bit de-motivated I go for a walk with my headphones on and just doing that exercise makes me feel better about myself, it just takes one tiny act of will power, like turning down some cake, to get me back on track.
Iris82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran
 
Quicklabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,737

That's the spirit, Shannon!

You are going to make it!



Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon006 View Post
Wow, I have read all these posts, and you are an amazing bunch. I will be 44 in April, and desperately need to get myself and my DH healthy and active. I will be staying on the WISH boards for encouragement and to help encourage others.

For me, I would LOVE to look better of course, but as I said I am almost 44, the mother of 6, ages 5-24, and want to live a LONG and HEALTHY life for my children and grandchildren. I want to be the granmmy(thats what I hope to be called , one day when I am a grandmother, lol) who attends all the grandkids events, takes them on vacation, of course to WDW, and has fun overnighters. I fear at the weight I am, needing to lose 50 lbs, I won't be able to do those things. So that is my motivation, and this time I WILL DO IT!
__________________

A house without a dog is just a shelter.
Wag more; bark less[
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.