Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
sparklechicks
It's all about the Mouse!

I love a good surprise...

We just surprised our little ones this past Christmas Eve. I sent them on a scavenger hunt with clues and the final clue led them to the TV and to press play. I had put together a video to the music that Disney used last year for their vacations "Good Life." The video was pictures of all of us from our past trips to WDW and then from our past cruises. I ended it with a slide of the Disney Dream saying.... "now go pack your bags we have a flight to catch in 24 hours".. for our magical NYE Dream Cruise. They freaked out! The video of them isnít really very good b/c all you can see and hear is them screaming and jumping up and down.

One year I handed the kids Valentineís Day cards that had money in them and they opened it and went to put the money in our "Disney Fund" and "surprise" there were their Magic Express tickets for later that day.

Another time we were celebrating my husbandís birthday and I wrapped 3 extra presents for him. When he sat down to open them and the kids were sitting watching he asked them if they would like to help. Of course they jumped at it and ripped open the boxes for him only to find their luggage tags for the trip leaving 4 hours later.

My personal favorite was when my husband told the kids we were going out for my birthday dinner so they just sat in the back and we pulled into the airport parking and they kind of looked around and said "wait what are we doing arenít we going to dinner?" My husband replied "yes but we have some time since our reservations at Chef Mickey isnít until 7:30pm"

We never tell the kids when we are going on any vacations. I love the element of surprise and I know they do too. 3 successful surprise cruises and 5 successful WDW trips. The hardest part is not cracking but I love the big "reveal" which makes it worth the wait.

now I need a creative idea for our Aulani trip in July. I havenít been able to come up with a good one.. If anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.
MNSSHP/Beach Club Sept 2011
Boardwalk/Disney Fantasy Western June 23, 2012
Disney Dream NYE Dec 28, 2012
Aulani Resort July 12, 2013
MNSSHP/Disney Fantasy Eastern October 19, 2013
proud DVC Member at BWV ....Everything is better with a Disney trip planned b/c It's Just Magical

sparklechicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

We drove to California from Texas last March. We told my daughter we were going to enjoy So Cal and meet up with her grandma. We didn't tell her much and kept it a secret for 1 year. We had a friend who had a daughter that was doing a Flat Stanley project and we took him with us cross country and told the girls we were going to take him to get pictures of him with some boats and the ocean. Well we showed up the morning of our cruise without telling the girls about the cruise. In the port of LA you can basically pull up right next to the boat. Here is the video. They aren't screamers but it is fun to watch it dawn on my 8 year old that she was actually going to go on the cruise.

Oh and for a little info we told her we might take her on a Disney cruise when she was older because she would ask to go when she saw the commercials. She picked 11 for some reason that is why she says that in the video. This was our first cruise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7uUPlsyZrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrTwLJTeuHM
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

We told our 3 DDs about our Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska at about a month out. We'd been planning it for well over a year, but then DH lost his job and we weren't sure if we could pull it off. By some miracle, and many sacrifices, we were able to pay in full and save some money for excursions.

Since we live near Seattle, where the Wonder was sailing out of for the summer of 2012, we took the girls down to a park overlooking the pier and the ship to watch is sail off a few weeks before our departure date. I had some gifts for the girls, binoculars, cosmetic bags and finally a countdown calendar. They had no idea until they opened the countdown calendar and my 10 year old read it and started crying. They were all so excited and happy. It was a fun month leading up to the cruise once they knew.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

We went on a 3 day Disney Cruise a couple of years ago. We used to have a two-day fall-break like time frame in October in the schools so we scheduled it then, which happened to also be over Halloween. We packed for the kids who were 5, 3 and 1 at the time, so they didn't know.

We picked them up at school on Wednesday and the first thing they noticed was that I was picking them up along with my wife. The kids asked why and I said I just wanted to get them ice cream. Well, two hours later when we arrived at the airport, the oldest said, "I thought we were getting ice cream?" The middle kid says, "I want to go on an airplane." So I said we could do both. At that point, my oldest kid starts crying, balling in fact. We didn't tell them where we were going yet, but she had made all these "plans" with her friends for Halloween.

So we flew into Florida and still didn't tell them anything. Upon our arrival near port, my oldest starts yelling things we're going to do, "are we going fishing? are we going to the beach?" She's still kind of upset as APPARENTLY, she hates surprises. As we get closer to the terminal, my younger child yells, "I SEE THE DISNEY CRUISE SHIP!" "Let's see if we can get on it," I say. "REALLY!!!!!!" they shout. We had a very fun three days.

And I guess my oldest doesn't really hate surprises anymore. We surprised her with a birthday present that was pretty nice this year for her ninth birthday. We took her to the Olympics in London. We had a birthday party for her and her last present was event tickets to diving (we didn't have the gymnastics tickets in hand yet, which would have really made her flip out) and copies of the boarding passes. She went crazy excited and started balling in a good way. She still thanks us for the trip half a year later. We actually left the next day after her party and everyone at her party knew but her (including her now six year old sister who kept the secret for the two weeks we had been planning the trip).
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: