Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

Question for Catholic Cruisers

I've read (don't recall where) that if a Catholic priest is on board the ship a Sunday Mass is celebrated. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you find out that a Mass would be celebrated?

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

That is one of things that is great about sailing HAL... Daily Mass!
Miss Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

It will be in the Navigator. We were on the Christmas cruise and there was Mass every day, on Christmas in WD theater and other days in Buena Vista.

There was also information about Shabbat on Friday night, and said it was 'self lead' so I don't know if those who wanted it just asked for a time/room, but it was in the Navigator.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

Great! I told the hubby and kiddos we need to pray for a priest on board. I'd love to have daily Mass! Thanks for the info!

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
I've read (don't recall where) that if a Catholic priest is on board the ship a Sunday Mass is celebrated. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you find out that a Mass would be celebrated?
We are Catholic and sailed in October during Halloween on the Wonder in 2011. I read the Navigators pretty throughly and do not remember Mass being celebrated; perhaps only on the bigger ships? We also did sail from Sunday to Sunday. I will go check the Navigators that I saved and see if I missed something.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Okay, I went over all the Navigators from our trip and no Mass during that sailing. (There was mention of a spot for the Jewish Sabbath).

Upon reflection, I do remember having one of our favorite visiting priests over for dinner and his next 'assignment was to be the priest on a cruise. This was many years ago and I would imagine that these assignments are pretty few and far between since most parishes need more priests. (He was from Canada and escaping the Winter months.)
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
Great! I told the hubby and kiddos we need to pray for a priest on board. I'd love to have daily Mass! Thanks for the info!

I think it is not common except for Christmas and probably Easter. The priest we had had done it several times, and he introduced his niece as a CM or somehow involved with disney. I got the impression he got a free cruise every Christmas and Disney made a lot of people happy for a Christmas cruise.

We went to midnight mass, and there weren't very many passengers in the WD theater, but there were a ton of crew members.

Now there are many churches near the ports, so you might be able to find mass on port days.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
TrixieM
Earning My Ears

Easter Mass

We are sailing on the 3/29 Magic cruise from Galveston. I confirmed with DCL that there will be a Catholic Mass on Easter. I didn't ask about daily Mass.
TrixieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

We have attended daily Mass on a cruise that included Ash Wednesday. The CM who assisted told me that DCL brings a priest for Mass on all cruises that include Christmas, Easter, or Ash Wednesday. In addition, there may be a Mass offered on other cruises, if a priest happens to sail with DCL. I have never been able to confirm that a priest will be offering Mass onboard for cruises other than Christmas, Easter, or Ash Wednesday, in advance, despite calling DCL to inquire when we were considering other cruises. Thus, there might be times when Mass is offered other than Christmas, Easter, or Ash Wednesday, but I don't know how to identify which cruises would offer this, in time to reserve the cruise. Thus, we cruise when we can be certain Mass is celebrated onboard (Christmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday) or when port days allow for Sunday Mass.
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Don't plan on a mass unless you are on a sailing during a major Catholic holiday (Christmas and Easter). We've sailed 7 times. I have never seen a mass scheduled during any of our sailings. And we're Catholic so it would have stuck out to me.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

A cruise friend of ours is a Catholic priest and he said Mass when he was on the cruise - only on the Sunday, though, not daily.

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Mass on regular Sunday

We were on the repo cruise in 2011 from LA to Vancouver and there was a priest on the ship who said Mass on Sunday which was an at sea day. We were in the movie theater and the place was standing room only a lot of crew in addition to us Catholic travelers. I learned about it from a Dis member whose family was sailing with her brother the priest. It was in the navagator so if there is priest on board DCL does its best to make it work. I must say it was really neat to have Mass on the ship.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

been on 9 cruises
there was daily mass on our last cruise the Xmas cruise
i was on one other I believe it was the 15 day canal that there was daily mass
i think other then hoildays unless there is a priest who is crusing there is no daily mass

8/99 4day Magic
4/02 7 day Magic
8/03 7 day Magic
11/05 4 day wonder pin cruise
8/06 7 day Magic
8/08 15 night Panama Canal
8/09 7 day Magic
8/11 Alaska
12/12 Christmas on the Fantasy
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

If cruising during a major holiday, I think DCL tries to schedule appropriate clergy to be onboard and conduct services. If cruising any other time, my understanding is that DCL will provide space if a member of the clergy is booked and requests space to hold a service.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On major holidays, DCL tries to book an appropriate clergy person to perform services for guests. This will be noted in the Navigator. They do this for most Jewish and Christian holidays.

If an appropriate religious official (of any religion) is on board and OFFERS to perform services, space will be provided and a notice placed in the Navigator. Whether these services are daily, once during the cruise, or whatever is up to the volunteer.

On cruises with no clergy, DCL makes space available on Friday evenings for Jewish services and Sunday mornings for Christian services. These are a situation where all interested individuals may have a "do it yourself" service.

There are no services or space available on cruises beginning or ending on a Sunday. There is a list of churches available at Guest Services for individuals who may wish to attend at a church near the terminal.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: