Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #91
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

~After seeing what Disney did with Narnia at DHS, no thank you!!! I don't want any more of that! I don't care if people don't like Cameron or his ego.

~I have high hopes for Avatarland, in part, because Cameron is on the team. I know we won't get another "recreated" ride with Na'vi's on a stick & blue glow in the dark clam shells.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #92
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
I still give it about a 25% chance of actually happening
That much?
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #93
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

FWIW I have a close friend and his dad was one of the chief ride engineers (Imagineers) for TSM and is getting ready to go to Paris to work on their version.
He received an email last night stating he would be taking the lead on Avatar.
I know there will be doubters but this guy has always been right in the past with what he has told me . . . . .
His dad also said we haven't seen anything yet in terms of what My Magic+ can do.
Dznefreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #94
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Yay!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek View Post
FWIW I have a close friend and his dad was one of the chief ride engineers (Imagineers) for TSM and is getting ready to go to Paris to work on their version.
He received an email last night stating he would be taking the lead on Avatar.
I know there will be doubters but this guy has always been right in the past with what he has told me . . . . .
His dad also said we haven't seen anything yet in terms of what My Magic+ can do.
~We have a Disney insider (sort of)!!! Thanks so much for the awesome update!!! I can't wait for more details to come out!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #95
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
It is my opinion that Disney hasn't produced anything to match or exceed Spider Man at Universal from a technology standpoint. It debuted 13 years ago. Since then, Universal has created yet another ride, Harry Potter, that hasn't been matched or exceeded by Disney.
I completely agree. Disney is securing the stories for their rides (like Star Wars and Avatar) but that's only HALF the battle. They have to have the "up-a-notch", breakthrough technology to compliment these ride themes and take them above what Universal is doing. Universal is putting the money into these technologies (like KUKA arm for HP), they get it. Disney needs to do the same thing and go all the way on this or else they might as well not have ever purchased these story rights.

The first time I went on Star Tours, the story AND the new technology, wow. I'm tired of getting on "new" rides now like Monsters Inc. and Mermaid that are just the same dark ride technology as what was there in the 1950s.
I want Disney to do more. Because I am there, 90%, for the technology. Thanks for the awesome post!
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #96
KaylaSue22
Earning My Ears

I think Disney adding an Avatar attraction will be awesome! I loved the movie and I know that Disney can do amazing things!
KaylaSue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
Hollowellfam6
Earning My Ears

Disney is like Apple, everyone expects great things, and when they just make rides that are technology based , but you can't see the technology then everyone thinks they are a flop. These guys are not stupid, they have great things in store, but to speculate on the "Next Big Thing" is purely that speculation. Just wait and see....I can assure you it will be magical, even if you don't understand it.
SSR 2006, 2011, 2012
OKW 2008(2), 2009
VB 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Pop Century Oct 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
All Star 2011, 2012, 2013

DH(46) DW(46) DS(23) DS(21) DD(18) DS(7)

DS CP program 2012, IP program 2013
Hollowellfam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #98
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
Yeah, how dare a movie portray a position on an issue that isn't absolutely 100% neutral
There's no problem with a movie that wants to project a certain political point of view.

To each his own, if you don't like it, don't watch it, etc.

But I think some of us are questioning Disney's decision to create a land that offends 50% of the audience.

Avatar is a political movie. By saying that I'm not trying to create a conspiracy or be "titilating" or anything. I'm just stating a fact. Go to google and type "James Cameron says Avatar is Political" and you'll see for yourself that he INTENDED the movie to carry a political message.

There's nothing wrong with a movie doing that, and I'm sure 50% of the country was like "Yeah James Cameron! Way to speak the truth about the EVIL of oil drilling and corporate greed!" but I think Disney would be unwise to build a major area around a political theme.

For the record I think a "Farenheit 9/11" themed land would also be a bad idea.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #99
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
There's no problem with a movie that wants to project a certain political point of view.

To each his own, if you don't like it, don't watch it, etc.

But I think some of us are questioning Disney's decision to create a land that offends 50% of the audience.

Avatar is a political movie. By saying that I'm not trying to create a conspiracy or be "titilating" or anything. I'm just stating a fact. Go to google and type "James Cameron says Avatar is Political" and you'll see for yourself that he INTENDED the movie to carry a political message.

There's nothing wrong with a movie doing that, and I'm sure 50% of the country was like "Yeah James Cameron! Way to speak the truth about the EVIL of oil drilling and corporate greed!" but I think Disney would be unwise to build a major area around a political theme.

For the record I think a "Farenheit 9/11" themed land would also be a bad idea.
is 50% a factual number or is that just you trying to make a point? he also states in an interview "at the end of the day you re still making a movie to entertain" far different from Fahrenheit 911

im moderately conservative so me and james probably dont agree on much politically but im completely for this land based on the visuals and theming that could be created
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #100
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

50% is based on the assumption that over a long enough time period 50% of the population is Republican and 50% of the population is Democrat. Between 1976 and 2016 we'll have 20 years of Republican white house and 20 years of Democrat white house. So it looks like a 50/50 split to me.

It's stupid for Disney to promote a political message.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #101
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Avatar is much more-so a technological achievement and imaginative story than it is a political film. Disney wanting to make a land for it has nothing to do with politics, and I honestly don't see how you could be offended by the film anyways. All films carry a message, yes even Disney movies, and if you are seriously that easily offended by a film's message and want total neutral opinion I advise you shield yourself from all media... I honestly can't believe politics were brought into this.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

Last edited by DizCaptain; 01-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.
DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #102
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat
50% is based on the assumption that over a long enough time period 50% of the population is Republican and 50% of the population is Democrat. Between 1976 and 2016 we'll have 20 years of Republican white house and 20 years of Democrat white house. So it looks like a 50/50 split to me.

Im a republican and was fine with it. Its just a movie... i mean i get what you are saying... i ve at a point in life that if i were to boycott any liberal message or artist i would have tough time enjoying the entertainment business lol

like i ve been saying im all about the visuals and environment that is pandora
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Last edited by twebber55; 01-22-2013 at 02:45 PM.
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #103
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowellfam6 View Post
Disney is like Apple, everyone expects great things, and when they just make rides that are technology based , but you can't see the technology then everyone thinks they are a flop. These guys are not stupid, they have great things in store, but to speculate on the "Next Big Thing" is purely that speculation. Just wait and see....I can assure you it will be magical, even if you don't understand it.
If their example of a "Next Big Thing" was that Fantasyland dud, we are in trouble . For me that was a waste of time, money and space.

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #104
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
If their example of a "Next Big Thing" was that Fantasyland dud, we are in trouble . For me that was a waste of time, money and space.
Am I the only one that thinks Fantasyland wasn't a total "dud"? I mean they came out with, to me, a very good restaurant in BOG. They kept alive Dumbo and made more of a themed area for the ride. The Mermaid ride, I think is solid, not overly impressive but it goes along with the type of attractions Fantasyland has to offer. I like how they did some respect to 20K Under the Sea. Some nice thought there. And the Dwarves coaster, we will see.

I would think a "Next Big Thing" as you call it, something to compete with Harry Potter over at UNI (as some are comparing things too) might should come in the form of like something Star Wars at HS. Again, I am not high on the Avatar deal, I think Disney should come up with something else on their own for something like that at AK. But I am interested to see what they do either way.

That's how I view it.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #105
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
Ugh...explains why Disney dropped the ball with Narnia, but is going full steam with Avatar.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: