Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Musicalmommy
Earning My Ears

Dining Dress Code for kids?

How strict are they with little boys and pants at dinner.

My boys are 3 and 5, and they have cute navy blue and white striped polo shirts and tan cargo shorts I hoped to pack for the trip. Is this dressy enough for dinner?

I see Jeans are ok, but the tan shorts on little boys actually come across as more dressy in my opinion. They are also better than swooshy pants which I think would be ok, according to the dress code. But would not look nearly as nice.

Honestly other than one pair of ill fitting black formal pants each, that I am trying to avoid packing, they don't have dress pants. We are on 4 night and there is only one dress up optional night.

Will they be turned away in their cute little matchy outfits because of the shorts?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicalmommy View Post

My boys are 3 and 5, and they have cute navy blue and white striped polo shirts and tan cargo shorts I hoped to pack for the trip. Is this dressy enough for dinner?

I see Jeans are ok, but the tan shorts on little boys actually come across as more dressy in my opinion. They are also better than swooshy pants which I think would be ok, according to the dress code. But would not look nearly as nice.

Honestly other than one pair of ill fitting black formal pants each, that I am trying to avoid packing, they don't have dress pants. We are on 4 night and there is only one dress up optional night.

Will they be turned away in their cute little matchy outfits because of the shorts?
They will not be turned away. Enjoy your cruise!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
ALSBC91
Mouseketeer

I've never seen anyone turned away at the main dining rooms for what they are wearing.

That being said, in my family, we follow the DCL dress code. DH and I have decided it's a good lesson on dressing for the appropriate occasion. My kids are all teens now. The boys wear a pair of khaki pants for dinner on regular nights, semi formal is suit pants, shirt & tie, formal night is full suit. I found cheap pants at WalMart as well as a few second hand/ consignment shops. It also helps that their school uniform requires either khaki or navy pants! LOL!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicalmommy View Post

Here is the dress code from the DCL site:

Question What should I wear to dinner?
Answer Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements.

It doesn't make any distinction based on ages.

Yes, they will not turn anyone away from the MDRs who doesn't follow the suggested dress policy, but it's your call as to whether you go with your hosts request.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I received this from Disney this morning.

Thank you for your interest in a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general,
most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- jeans, khakis and capris are permitted;
however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing shorts, swimwear or
tank tops in the dining rooms.

Below is the recommended attire for your cruise itinerary and is subject
to change:

On 8-night Bahamian cruises out of Galveston:
*Nights 1, 3, 4, 5, & 8: cruise casual
*Night 2: "formal night": formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for
women: gown or dress
*Night 6: pirate night with deck cruise casual or bring your
best pirate outfit!
*Night 7: "semi-formal night": semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket;
for women: dress or pantsuit

These requirements are not mandatory for the rotational dining
restaurants on the ship; however, in order to re-create a classic and
memorable dining experience for you and all our Guests, we recommend the
attire schedule that is planned for your upcoming cruise.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
BrennaM
Mouseketeer

I saw a man in a tanktop and shorts on formal night once. They will not turn you away from the dining room.

I like that they are flexible with this, but I do think the man took advantage in that circumstance. My hubby will wear a golf shirt and shorts on most nights except for semi formal and formal night. On those nights he has to wear pants. heh
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
~Walt Disney

2004 - Port Orleans - French Quarter | 2005 - Beach Club Resort | 2008 - Grand Gathering @ Animal Kingdom Villas | 2010 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | 2012 - Disney Land & Sea - Animal Kingdom Villas & 5 day Bahama Cruise | 2012 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Alaskan Cruise | 2013 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Summer 2014 - Adventures By Disney - Ireland | Winter 2014 - Family New Years @ Animal Kingdom Villas | Summer 2015 - Disney Cruise - 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise
BrennaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Tabologist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSBC91 View Post
... DH and I have decided it's a good lesson on dressing for the appropriate occasion...
I agree How you present yourself shows respect

Tabitha Audiologist, Wife & Momma to boy/girl twins
December 2010 Cabins at Fort Wilderness ~ July 2013 Disney Dream
DVC members Saratoga Springs since December 2013
Tabologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is no "dress code" in the main dining rooms. There is "suggested attire" and "requests." No difference is made for kids vs. adults. The only thing that will get you turned away is no shoes or overt, obvious swimwear.

Adult dining venues do have an enforced dress code.

DCL requests no tank tops or shorts at dinner. Have I seen lots of people in both--yup. We try to abide by the suggestions, but honestly, someone else who wears shorts in the dining room isn't going to ruin my evening. Now, if he is wearing shorts as a way to thumb his nose at DCL and prove that he can do whatever he wants, that may infer a certain sort of attitude and behavior.

If your kids are reasonably behaved at dinner, no one, including me, cares what they are wearing.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

IMO, "dress codes" are the most anxiety-provoking aspect of cruising for first-time cruisers. On any forum, there will always be people happy to tell you that you're a crass hooligan for not buying yourself and your infant dress clothes to go to dinner. Plenty of people skip "formal" or "semi-formal" nights in the dining room to avoid the hassle or anxiety.

Whenever we cruise, our servers always tell us to please feel free to be comfortable and not worry about "dress codes," that we are always welcome and they'd miss us if we skipped a night. I've never seen anyone banned from a cruise ship MDR. There is a vast array of socioeconomic strata, ages, geographic origins, and body type and weight represented in any dining venue, and a dizzingly array of wardrobe choices. Despite the howling of the "dress code police," the suggested attire is just that, suggested, and your servers want you to enjoy your cruise and not stress out about what you're wearing.

The outfits you describe sound cute. I would not worry in the least. Nor would I go to the trouble of buying special occasion clothes for a single wearing when kids outgrow sizes so quickly at that age. Don't worry about it.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
saraheubanks1
Earning My Ears

My boys were your boys ages on our first cruise and they wore "dressy" shorts every night. They wore polo shirts or tropical button up shirts, not just t shirts. I thought they were dressed very appropriately esp after seeing other little boys. It's what they wear to church in the warmer months. Don't see the difference in that and girls wearing little sundresses. Have fun!
saraheubanks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
What a wonderful way for them to describe their policy!
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicalmommy

Even those of us in the "dress code police" don't have a problem with 3 and 5 year old boys wearing nice shorts and shirts. I'm sure they will be cute; take lots of pics, they grow up too fast!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
IMO, "dress codes" are the most anxiety-provoking aspect of cruising for first-time cruisers. On any forum, there will always be people happy to tell you that you're a crass hooligan for not buying yourself and your infant dress clothes to go to dinner. Plenty of people skip "formal" or "semi-formal" nights in the dining room to avoid the hassle or anxiety.
We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks and I completely agree with this statement. I'm most concerned about the semi and formal nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post

Thank you for your interest in a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general,
most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- jeans, khakis and capris are permitted;
however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing shorts, swimwear or
tank tops in the dining rooms.

Below is the recommended attire for your cruise itinerary and is subject
to change:

On 8-night Bahamian cruises out of Galveston:
*Nights 1, 3, 4, 5, & 8: cruise casual
*Night 2: "formal night": formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for
women: gown or dress
*Night 6: pirate night with deck cruise casual or bring your
best pirate outfit!
*Night 7: "semi-formal night": semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket;
for women: dress or pantsuit

Thank you for posting. We are going on a 8-night Bahamian cruise 2/15. Your post has made me adjust my nursery hours/nights.

Does anyone know if the menu change on semi-formal and formal nights?
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
Does anyone know if the menu change on semi-formal and formal nights?
The menus change every night. The three rotational restaurants have their own menu, and the other nights will be themed, each with its own special menu (in all 3 dining rooms).
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
oatway
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY

We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks and I completely agree with this statement. I'm most concerned about the semi and formal nights.
I agree as well. Not so much for me (I'd go white tie every night if I could), but for my parents. They almost declined to join us on our upcoming cruise because my dad is not comfortable dressing up. I only remember ever seeing him in a suit at my wedding, and my brother's. He will be fine for the cruise casual nights, but on formal night and semi-formal night they will likely dine in my suite. This is the only way they would agree to come.

Would someone please clarify for me if formal and semi-formal attire is required/recommended on those nights after dinner when out at the shows or lounges, walking about the ship, etc.? I presume the dress code applies to the entire evening.
oatway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: