Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

GTY rates: When?

Is there any rhyme or reason as to how long before a cruise date GTY rates appear? Looking at a 4 day in early December and hoping for a GTY rate.

Thanks.
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua
Is there any rhyme or reason as to how long before a cruise date GTY rates appear? Looking at a 4 day in early December and hoping for a GTY rate.

Thanks.
GTY rooms are available once a certain percentage of rooms in that category sell out.

I think you are looking for VGT/OGT/IGT rates which do not come out until closer to sailing, usually after paid in full.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 01-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post

Thanks.
GTY is not a rate. GTY has to do with room availability. For example I am booked on the Dream in May and I wanted a 9A but there were not available to be assigned at that time so I am guaranteed (GTY) a 9A or better.

Maybe you mean IGT/OGT/VGT. These are rates that are released much closer to the actual sail date and come with lots of restrictions. You will not find these right now for a December sailing. They are usually offered after the paid in full date. Hope this helps.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

While there have been a very few cases where the restricted *GT rates were available 6 months before a cruise, it is most common to see them after the penalty period starts. For most cruises, this is 74 days before sailing.

That's when you'll see specials if the ship is not full.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
swissgirl66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
GTY is not a rate. GTY has to do with room availability. For example I am booked on the Dream in May and I wanted a 9A but there were not available to be assigned at that time so I am guaranteed (GTY) a 9A or better.

Maybe you mean IGT/OGT/VGT. These are rates that are released much closer to the actual sail date and come with lots of restrictions. You will not find these right now for a December sailing. They are usually offered after the paid in full date. Hope this helps.
Where did you see that you would get a GTY for your cruise on the dream in May? Before you finalised the booking? I made a booking for the Dream July 21 and only when I received the confirmation did I realise that I got no certain cabin nr assignet, but instead got a 8B gty. But when I looked at the system, Disney still sells 8B for this cruise. Does not make sense to my, any ideas?

Wanted to find out I would have seen that there are no cabins available in the requested type. I am clueless and try to find out if I just missed it or made an error

: DW 47, DH 46, DD 9
swissgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgirl66 View Post
Where did you see that you would get a GTY for your cruise on the dream in May? Before you finalised the booking? I made a booking for the Dream July 21 and only when I received the confirmation did I realise that I got no certain cabin nr assignet, but instead got a 8B gty. But when I looked at the system, Disney still sells 8B for this cruise. Does not make sense to my, any ideas?

Wanted to find out I would have seen that there are no cabins available in the requested type. I am clueless and try to find out if I just missed it or made an error
While I was visiting the DCL site, I selected the cruise and room category that I wanted and hit "continue". I think it is on the next page (or maybe the following page) that you can select a specific room if you want and I clicked on that. It showed me that there were no 9As available but that I could book GTY. This was fine with me because I will be assigned a 9A or better for the same price.

They are still selling the 8Bs at GTY and when they start assigning them if their is not one when they get to you, they will give you a better room category. At the very least you will get the 8B that you paid for. I hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
swissgirl66
Mouseketeer

thanks for your answer, so I just wait and see, I really can not rembember clicking the accept gty

Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks for your answer, so I just wait and see, I really can not rembember clicking the accept gty
I only saw that GTY was available because I wanted to see which staterooms were available. I don't think it tells you that unless you try to select a specific stateroom. I did not book on the DCL website so I can't say for certain that they show it unless you try to pick a stateroom.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
swissgirl66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I only saw that GTY was available because I wanted to see which staterooms were available. I don't think it tells you that unless you try to select a specific stateroom. I did not book on the DCL website so I can't say for certain that they show it unless you try to pick a stateroom.
Thanks so much, this is exactelly what happend, only when you try to select the room, you will get that "warning message", so by progressing with the booking, you are not really aware of the shortage of that cabin type.

As I wanted really a cabin on deck 9, I made change of reservation to a 5a, and when I checked on Disboard cabin review if 9560 was good, I found my own review from our cruise in 2011, so we will be sailing in our "previous" cabin again, how lucky , it was perfect for my husband and girl to see fireworks on pirates night from the cabin and we never used elevators to go up on deck.

Thanks again, without you I would not have found out what went wrong.

Regards from Switzerland in deep snow.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much, this is exactelly what happend, only when you try to select the room, you will get that "warning message", so by progressing with the booking, you are not really aware of the shortage of that cabin type.

As I wanted really a cabin on deck 9, I made change of reservation to a 5a, and when I checked on Disboard cabin review if 9560 was good, I found my own review from our cruise in 2011, so we will be sailing in our "previous" cabin again, how lucky , it was perfect for my husband and girl to see fireworks on pirates night from the cabin and we never used elevators to go up on deck.

Thanks again, without you I would not have found out what went wrong.

Regards from Switzerland in deep snow.
I am so glad that I could help you and I hope you and your family have a great cruise!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
While I was visiting the DCL site, I selected the cruise and room category that I wanted and hit "continue". I think it is on the next page (or maybe the following page) that you can select a specific room if you want and I clicked on that. It showed me that there were no 9As available but that I could book GTY. This was fine with me because I will be assigned a 9A or better for the same price.

They are still selling the 8Bs at GTY and when they start assigning them if their is not one when they get to you, they will give you a better room category. At the very least you will get the 8B that you paid for. I hope this helps.
Is this something new? I've done this hundreds (minimum!) of times and I've never seen this page.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
Is this something new? I've done this hundreds (minimum!) of times and I've never seen this page.
Not sure what part you are asking is new, however, when I was searching for my May cruise I selected a cat 9A and hit continue. On the following page it will list your category and beside it says "change". If you click change it gives you the option of selecting your stateroom number, if there are none of that category available it will let you know and give you the option of GTY.

Last edited by tweis; 01-20-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Not sure if this is new or not just my experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: