Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Im an adult that cruises with no kids. I enjoy this. This is what Disney is. Its about being a kid again. Its not having a care in the world. For those 5 minutes all the parents see is their kids smiling and having a ball. Not worrying about the 2nd mortage they took out for this trip or how much their wife speant at Treasure Ketch or She Sells Sea Shells n Everything Else earlier that day! ( ...usually myself, not my wife). Weve been on a few cruises (not as many as lot of you!) and it seems most of the servers love working for DCL. The pay is better than industry average and there is something to be said to work for a company that strives for customer satisfaction. I wish my employer felt the way Disney does! If you (or the cast members) dont want to do this, go to Palo...which is awesome as well but alas, rant over!

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

The servers have done this on every cruiseline I've sailed on. It's a part of the job. It has never occurred to me to be embarrassed for the servers. I've been to restaurants where the severs have to dance & sing when certain things happen in the place. You know what the job involves when you take it. Plus, it's a happy thing. The people in the restaurant are happy, why wouldn't the servers be happy? They might get bored of it, but that's true of anything they might have to do on the ship. Why would they be embarrassed?

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Not embarrassing exactly but am I the only one who is a little grossed out by everyone waving their dirty napkin in the air? Last cruise our tablemate had a bit of chewed steak that they had discreetly hidden in their napkin. She forgot about it, threw her napkin in the air, and the chewed steak flew through the air and landed on my son's plate! He looked over and said "mom do I still have to finish my food?" We all had a laugh but still ewwwww
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
Not embarrassing exactly but am I the only one who is a little grossed out by everyone waving their dirty napkin in the air? Last cruise our tablemate had a bit of chewed steak that they had discreetly hidden in their napkin. She forgot about it, threw her napkin in the air, and the chewed steak flew through the air and landed on my son's plate! He looked over and said "mom do I still have to finish my food?" We all had a laugh but still ewwwww
Never ever thought of that! LOL, makes me kinda

My kids loved cheering our servers on - to cheer the loudest for them when they waved to our table. Never thought of that...
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinwithmaandpa View Post

They also do this on RCL, NCL, and CCL, it's all part of the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

The servers have done this on every cruiseline I've sailed on. It's a part of the job.
Yep. I've seen it on RCI, HAL, Princess, and HAL. I don't remember if they did it on our Celebrity cruises, as we might have been at the upcharge restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

I've been to restaurants where the severs have to dance & sing when certain things happen in the place.
They did this when we ate at Joe's Crab Shack.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
They did this when we ate at Joe's Crab Shack.

Woody
O/T: I love when they dance to "Car Wash" at Joe's Crab Shack. My DD13 will get up and dance along..whooop, whooop, whooop Sorry.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Yes, they do it on all lines including Celebrity. I can say that as a former Downtown Disney Cast Member, what's embarrassing (and disheartening) is when you're trying as hard as you can to get people excited and let loose and have some fun, and people sit there with dour, irritated looks on their faces like they can't wait for you to stop . My dad gets stodgy sometimes and we always tell him, "Just go with it, Dad. You might accidentally have a good time" .

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Why would it be embarrassing?

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Jblever
Earning My Ears

Cute Picture!
Jblever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post
Yes, they do it on all lines including Celebrity. I can say that as a former Downtown Disney Cast Member, what's embarrassing (and disheartening) is when you're trying as hard as you can to get people excited and let loose and have some fun, and people sit there with dour, irritated looks on their faces like they can't wait for you to stop . My dad gets stodgy sometimes and we always tell him, "Just go with it, Dad. You might accidentally have a good time" .

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Why would it be embarrassing?

- Dreams
Some people feel embarrassed for others when the others are doing something that is silly (being concerned that the other person is embarrassed or feeling funny). I'm one of them. I can't even watch friends on stage or listen to them play music, since I'm always concerned that they will mess up and be embarrassed. (the one time I was honest with a friend about this, she dropped me...I know this isn't something that most people feel, and I know it isn't something that makes others happy, but I don't live my life for others) This might all stem from being in theater in HS and college, and having flubbed my lines horribly on stage, and never getting over it. (welcome to the therapy session LOL)

Anyway, I can't even watch sitcoms like Three's Company when they have the really embarrassing parts; I leave the room or scan it forward. DH thinks it's weird. DS does the same thing as me and has the same feeling I do, even though I try to not be obvious about why I suddenly need a drink of water during the high-tension sitcom scenes, LOL.

I don't like that kind of stuff either (you will NEVER see me at Whispering Canyon, and I wasn't a fan of the napkin thing at Chef Mickey that I've just now remembered they did), and now I have one more thing to be concerned about with this cruise. I don't remember anything like that happening on our RCCL Alaska honeymoon cruise, but maybe it was the evening we skipped the main dining room. Sigh.

(and I have been known to feel the same way for performing CMs at DLR and WDW. not all of them, but sometimes I wonder "how can they enjoy doing this?")

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
mimmi
DIS Veteran

Do they do that on every cruise? I can't remember waiters parading on pur Dream cruise last year.
I have to admit that I don't really like things like that, I usually feel like I'm obligated to cheer and clap when I just want to sit and enjoy a show, meal, whatever.
A parade that takes a few minutes is ok for me, I go with the flow and participate out of politeness, the stupid, fake excitement and over the top cheering and clapping during the Shamu show at SeaWorld on the other hand, was so painful for my entire family that we will never go back there.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #28
ladeeesquire
Mouseketeer

They didn't do it on the Fantasy a few weeks ago. They didn't do it on the Celebrity cruise we did last year. They always do it on Carnival.

No, I don't find it embarrassing.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
rance
DIS Veteran

I think in our case we were anxious to get out of dining room... Kids were restless. Waiter came to apologize that coffee and dessert will be delayed because he had to perform. The show maybe 10 minutes, but don't forget they have lots of tables so that 10 minutes is a 25 minute delay for dessert.
He was an older server, very good but very busy and I just felt bad for the guy.
Yes it's part of his job and yes he accepted the job but I would just rather the service.
There is tons of activities and entertainment on a cruise. I can go an hour at dinner without someone performing for me like a dancing bear.

Mind you in university I use to be a server and felt embarrassed singing happy bday at tables. So did 99 % of my co workers but as you say was part of job.
rance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rance View Post
I feel embarrassed for the servers when they make them parade around and put on a show waving napkins etc.
Also seemed to interrupt the dinner service and distract the servers flow.
Their job is busy enough, if I want a show ill go to the theatre.

Anyone else feel this way or am I getting old and grumpy lol.
Meh...kinda but I get it..it's enjoyed by most and a lot of the servers probably enjoy it too. I used to be a restaurant manager at the MGM Grand and we had to do this ridiculous Conga line thing..I'm sure it went over well at night, but I worked days and I don't think all the hungover guests really wanted that blaring into their heads, but we still had to do it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: