Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
NCConch
Mouseketeer

Plan to disconnect, however...

I plan to have my family of four disconnect for our quick 4-day cruise meaning no contact with the "real world" via phone or other electronic devices. However, what if the "real world" needs to contact us? Will there be number for them to call the ship as they would a hotel?

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Your documents will include a page of tear out perforated cards with the ship's emergency contact info printed on it. This is a ship to shore line that costs $7 per minute and they will need a credit card to use it.

I honestly do not give out this number. Many times, I don't even tell extended family that we are going on a cruise. Reality is that there is essentially nothing that could happen that I could do anything about while I was on the ship; I may as well enjoy my vacation stress free and hear about any "disasters" when I get home. The flip side of that is that I'm cruising with the family members that I could do something about. But then, each family situation is different.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We did the same thing even with family in poor health. We were going on the cruise to get away and destress from that. There was nothing that couldn't wait until we returned.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When my DMIL's mother was 106 yrs young, three of her "kids" decided to cruise europe. We did have an emergency contact number for them, but they figured if grandma passed on, the mortuary could keep her on ice til they got back. (She lived another three years.)

A few years ago DH and I were sailing out of Boston harbor to begin a ten-day cruise when our DD called our cell phone, having a meltdown over a minor fender bender, and actually wanted us to come home. um, hullo? DH told her to call her uncle and/or grandma. DD learned some coping skills. I was ready to throw the phone overboard.

On a cruise last fall, some people on board were from the New Jersey coast, which was being pummelled by Sandy. They decided not to call the neighbors to see if there was anything left. There really wasn't anything they could do til they got home, so they figured they might as well just enjoy their vacation (as best they could.)

I firmly believe that getting away from it all means getting away from it all.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

The one exception is when DH and I cruise and leave our preschoolers with the grandparents. Then we leave them the contact info on the understanding she will only call if there is a real emergency.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
NCConch
Mouseketeer

Thanks

Thanks for all of the sage advice.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCConch
I plan to have my family of four disconnect for our quick 4-day cruise meaning no contact with the "real world" via phone or other electronic devices. However, what if the "real world" needs to contact us? Will there be number for them to call the ship as they would a hotel?
We left DD with my in-laws for our honeymoon. Gave them the emergency contact card. We found out after the fact that she had started vomiting before we'd even sailed, and they kept it to themselves so we wouldn't worry or try to cancel the trip. Having reared three kids, two of whom I respect a lot and the third I chose to marry, they were quite capable of handling a sick toddler for a week and frankly, that time alone was easily one of the best gifts they've ever given us.

Now we cruise specifically to disconnect.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Another option is text message. Set your cellphone's call forwarding so it goes directly to voice mail so it doesn't ring, then leave it on during your cruise. You'll receive text messages whether in port or at sea and can respond or ignore as you see fit. Best of all, it's incredibly cheap. With AT&T, if you have a text plan at home, it's completely free to receive texts on the cruise, even when at sea on the ship's system. That is, the total cost per received text is $0. I heard that Verizon charges $0.05/text. Now, sending a text will cost you $0.50, but you'd only do that in an emergency.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: