Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #1096
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd report back on our breakfast and dinner experiences at 'Ohana as a gluten-free vegan.

We had dinner first, and it was great! The allergy chef came out and spoke with me, and we determined I couldn't eat anything on the menu except the veggies. DD is allergic to tree nuts, and we aren't sure whether she is allergic to coconut, so she couldn't eat the bread. He said they have allergen-free rolls, and he had those brought out for us. He made me an appetizer plate, with raw broccoli and 2 dips. One was a garlicky dip, one was a red pepper dip. Both were fantastic. DS loved the garlicky dip, too. He also made me an amazing stir fry, and an ice cream cookie sundae.

The rolls, and the broccoli and dips in the background:

The stir fry:

Dessert! This was tofutti ice cream and Enjoy Life cookies. This was fantastic, but I couldn't eat much because I was so full!

I will say that the service was very slow for my food. It was a busy night, so maybe that's it, but it did seem overly slow.

The service was much faster at breakfast. Again, I couldn't eat anything on the menu except the fruit, so they made me a stir fry. It was delicious! I would eat this stir fry any time of day!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #1097
danijake
Vegan Cupcake Baker Extraordinaire!

I'm currently planning a Disneyland trip, so I've been researching vegan options. I have been in contact with one of the Disneyland chefs, and he said Dole Whip has been reformulated and is now vegan! This is great news!!

http://www.precisionfoods.com/foodse...=795055&id=103

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site) . WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century) . WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site) . WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century) . WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
danijake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #1098
berryinDC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::Snow_White::

Pecos Bill Veggie Wrap. Just lettuce, tomato, and cheese in a tortilla, pretty blah, should've went for the veggie burger!
thanks for this. I was considering making a special trip over to pecos bill for this wrap and it definitely doesn't sound like it's worth that. Disappointment averted!

2013 AKL, 2010 POR, 1998 BWI, 1996 ASM, 1993 Swan
berryinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #1099
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijake
I'm currently planning a Disneyland trip, so I've been researching vegan options. I have been in contact with one of the Disneyland chefs, and he said Dole Whip has been reformulated and is now vegan! This is great news!!

Yay!!!!
msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #1100
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijake

Will you share your info on a new thread. My family is vegan and we will be visiting DL in Sept.

I'm VERY interested in your finding!
msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #1101
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Would this apply to the WDW Dole Whips too? I've never tried one and now I'm curious!!

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #1102
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbatchelor5 View Post
Will you share your info on a new thread. My family is vegan and we will be visiting DL in Sept.

I'm VERY interested in your finding!
Hi there! I'm visiting in September too.

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site) . WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century) . WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site) . WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century) . WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #1103
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
Would this apply to the WDW Dole Whips too? I've never tried one and now I'm curious!!

Teresa
I would assume that since Dole reformulated their product that it would be available in WDW too. The only reason I could imagine it wouldn't be vegan at WDW was if they still had old packages of it in storage before it was reformulated.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #1104
bryana
Mouseketeer

Hello all! I just found this thread last night and am so happy about it!

I am leaving on saturday for a long weekend at Disney and it will be my first time there in 2 years and my first on property visit in probably 4 or 5. Does Disney carry any milk alternatives, specifically almond milk? I am hypothyroid so I try to avoid soy milk if possible, especially in the morning when I take my medication.

Also, I think I may have seen it somewhere but does Disney have greek yogurt or just standard regular yogurt? (Not vegan; I just hate regular milk.)
bryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #1105
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryana View Post

I am leaving on saturday for a long weekend at Disney and it will be my first time there in 2 years and my first on property visit in probably 4 or 5. Does Disney carry any milk alternatives, specifically almond milk? I am hypothyroid so I try to avoid soy milk if possible, especially in the morning when I take my medication.

Also, I think I may have seen it somewhere but does Disney have greek yogurt or just standard regular yogurt? (Not vegan; I just hate regular milk.)
They have rice milk, but I'm not sure about almond milk. I've also only seen soy yogurt in the past.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #1106
bryana
Mouseketeer

Thank you!!
bryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #1107
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryana View Post

I had greek yogurt at Kouzzina for breakfast (last week). I don't recall if I saw it other places.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #1108
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Would love Disneyland vegan info. Going in 2 weeks for the first time in years. I know I can get something custom at Napa Rose, but want to know other good options for the parks/hotels.
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #1109
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Blue Bayou at DL can accommodate vegans. The chef came out and offered me the portobello dish or a pasta dish. At the time I was not GF, so I chose the pasta, and it was great! I've had vegan and gluten free waffles at Minnie's breakfast and Surf's Up, too. I don't remember where else I ate last summer!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #1110
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

I am here now and am really terrible about taking pictures, but I thought I would share a quick review of where (and what) we have eaten so far.

Our arrival dinner was at Boma, which was as delicious as always. They are always so wonderful and accommodating. As luck always has it, they never have the Butternut Squash soup, but when I mentioned how much I love it, the chef ran in the back and got a nice piping hot bowl for me. Also on my menu were the hummus, the garbanzo bean and edamame salad, pap, chakalaka, spring mix with mango dressing, and couscous with nuts. I was just headed back for dessert (plate in hand) and noticed a boy about my son's age (7) up at the dessert pod alone. He was awfully close to them...looking, breathing on them, and then coughing. I quickly began to look around to see if anyone belonged to him, or was supervising him, when I heard a wretch and when I turned bac to look he was king his guts out all over the floor. So gross. The CMs really should discourage children from being up there alone. Yuck. Ick. Ew. Needless to say, I skipped dessert.

For breakfast the next day I had the Quinoa at Mara. It was-well. Quinoa. Basic, filling and good (I added brown sugar).

Lunch at Mara was the Falafel. It was decent, but not as good as I remember. I enjoyed the couscous it came with more.

Lunch at Sci Fi: We walked up for lunch today at 12:30 and lucked out on a car. I have looked at this place before because I thought the theme was neat, but the menu never appealed to me. My friend and I split the veggie burger and sweet potato fries, and I had a vanilla Coke. I was pleasantly surprised! Plenty of food for me for lunch and the burger was quite good. Dare I say, I would eat there again?! Certainly more appealing than any CS there...

I'll keep updating as we go along...tomorrow I will add our two dinners at Via Napoli and Tutto Italia!

ADRs we have planned for the rest of the week include Raglan Road, Flying Fish, and BOG.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR & AKL PHM!
12/2014 BC
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: