Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
sham10299
Earning My Ears

Kids checking self out of clubs?

At what age are kids allowed to check themselves out of clubs? I heard it is as young as 8. I am concerned about my nearly 9 yo checking herself out and roaming this massive ship. Anything could happen, ie predators, getting lost, general safety issues. Does DCL really allow this?
sham10299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

I think you have to sign them up for checkout privileges. Our son was 8 on our last cruise and we did not give him checkout privileges. We could barely find our way around the ship ourselves as adults! LOL
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

You as the parent will be the one who decides if you will allow your child to have self checkout privileges. This would allow them to roam the ship on their own.

You must sign a form that would allow them to do so, so unless you do, you would have to drop them off and pick them up. If they need you, CMs would contact you on your wave phone.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

yes as a parent you say if they get that privilage

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

You get to decide if you want your daughter to have sign out privileges or not. When our daughter was 9yo and 10yo on our previous cruises, we did not give her sign out privileges.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
squirrelgirl
Mouseketeer

What about an older child? My son will have just turned 13 when we cruise. Now that he is older and no longer eligible for Club/Lab, I am concerned. He has some developmental delays. We always had peace of mind with the system in place in the Club/Lab...and he did great. But he is not ready to roam, and while I can certainly tell him what is expected, we need to have a bit more control given his issues.

Can we ask that he is still required to sign in and cannot leave without a parent?
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
sham10299
Earning My Ears

That sound better. She will NOT have sign out privileges then. Thanks for the clarification.
sham10299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelgirl
What about an older child? My son will have just turned 13 when we cruise. Now that he is older and no longer eligible for Club/Lab, I am concerned. He has some developmental delays. We always had peace of mind with the system in place in the Club/Lab...and he did great. But he is not ready to roam, and while I can certainly tell him what is expected, we need to have a bit more control given his issues.

Can we ask that he is still required to sign in and cannot leave without a parent?
I don't think so. There is no sign in and out at the Edge.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

the Edge is totally come and go as they want

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

8 and older can sign out WITH parent's permission. Mom still holds all the power. ALL kids in the Edge have to be able to sign themselves in and out.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelgirl View Post

You can request that, but it will be up to him to tell the CM to contact you. They will not stop anyone from leaving the Edge since there is no CM at the front to check them in or out. There are not as many CMs assigned to the Edge as the lab. There is also no bathroom in the Edge like there is in the lab/club.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
squirrelgirl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the feedback. I will contact DCL directly to see what options might be available. We certainly would prefer the Lab due to the extra controls in place. But since he is now older, this is going to be a challenge.
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I will contact DCL directly to see what options might be available. We certainly would prefer the Lab due to the extra controls in place. But since he is now older, this is going to be a challenge.
I don't think that it has been mentioned, but if your son would enjoy spending time in the lab, that is an option during the open house times. An adult would HAVE to stay with him while it is open house, however.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think DCL will allow a 13-year-old into the Club/Lab. The overlap age is 11-12, meaning kids those age have choice of Club/Lab or EDGE, with many opting for the "older" experience. DCL revamped their kids club system and ages during the past year and has been fairly firm on keeping older out of younger spaces. As a PP mentioned, there is an "Open House" time where your 13-year-old would be allowed at the Club or Lab with a parent, but not as supervised programming.

You mentioned developmental delays... how well does your DS follow your family rules? If you made a rule with him that he had to ask the CM at Edge to call you when he wishes to leave, would he do that? Or that he MUST return to your stateroom if he leaves the Edge? Or you could pre-arrange that you would "pick him up" at a certain time (depending on which ship, I believe access to the Edge is restricted by KTTW card) - maybe meeting him by the elevator? My DD is very "by the rules" whether they are our family rules or more formal public rules, so those options would work for us, not sure if that's helpful for you.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
buglady11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy

You mentioned developmental delays... how well does your DS follow your family rules? If you made a rule with him that he had to ask the CM at Edge to call you when he wishes to leave, would he do that? Or that he MUST return to your stateroom if he leaves the Edge? Or you could pre-arrange that you would "pick him up" at a certain time (depending on which ship, I believe access to the Edge is restricted by KTTW card) - maybe meeting him by the elevator? My DD is very "by the rules" whether they are our family rules or more formal public rules, so those options would work for us, not sure if that's helpful for you.

Enjoy your cruise!
I can sympathize with the pp. This is our first cruise and I am very relieved that my special needs twins (age 11) cannot sign themselves out of the club. I am wondering... If I don't take them to the Edge, will they find out about that place from others? I am sure my ds would love the video game area (EDge right?) but he gets "stuck" so easily that I could see fits if he found out that was a "choice" for him. My 11 year olds are about at the level of 6/7 for common sense. I would love to have a rule follower but...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: