Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

asthmatic kids and smoking

Hi,
I'm trying to play our first trip as a family of six. Oy. We've got a couple of coughers and wheezers and really need to avoid cigarette smoke as much as possible.

I've been reading in various spaces that smoking poolside is ok at the DVC resorts like Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but prohibited in the Values/Moderates/Deluxe regular resorts? Is there any truth to this?

The villas are really what we need in terms of group size, but we can't be in a place where smoking is permitted at the pool. Not trying to start a debate or insult smokers, it's just a medical issue and I prefer not to be surprised or deal with crying kids because we can't allow them to go swimming. That would suck.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to play our first trip as a family of six. Oy. We've got a couple of coughers and wheezers and really need to avoid cigarette smoke as much as possible.

I've been reading in various spaces that smoking poolside is ok at the DVC resorts like Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but prohibited in the Values/Moderates/Deluxe regular resorts? Is there any truth to this?

The villas are really what we need in terms of group size, but we can't be in a place where smoking is permitted at the pool. Not trying to start a debate or insult smokers, it's just a medical issue and I prefer not to be surprised or deal with crying kids because we can't allow them to go swimming. That would suck.
Smoking is only permitted in designated areas at any park or resort. Check out resort maps like at allears and just don't sit near those areas. If someone is smoking where they shouldn't be, alert a lifeguard and let them deal with it.

But I've never heard of the DVC resorts to allow smoking at the pools.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Absolutely!

My kids' triggers' are smoking, and flora. The biggest culprit was ok the last trip but his asthma has gotten worse in the last two years. We don't go anywhere without the portable neb anymore :-/

I read the bit about smoking at the DVC pools on tripadvisor, several people complained about it. Who knows how legitimate of a source that is, you know?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Right now I'm trying to stay away from the Art of Animation and other value resorts. They seem to be the furthest from the parks and have the most unreliable bus service over all. If we need to beat a hasty retreat to an airconditioned room for a neb treatment, I don't want to have to wait half an hour for a bus, if that makes sense.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you decide to stay for any firework show, make sure you check which way the wind is blowing. I have asthma too, and one year I was standing in the wrong place to watch Illuminations. Ending up having to use my inhaler a lot over the next couple of days.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:

Absolutely!

My kids' triggers' are smoking, and flora. The biggest culprit was ok the last trip but his asthma has gotten worse in the last two years. We don't go anywhere without the portable neb anymore :-/

I read the bit about smoking at the DVC pools on tripadvisor, several people complained about it. Who knows how legitimate of a source that is, you know?
Honestly I find tripadvisor to be full of people who didn't do their homework and had expectations that were not possible to fulfill. I would say that there was most likely a smoking section near the pool and that people sat near it without knowing. Just have an idea of where the smoking sections are and avoid them.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

No, you can't just smoke anywhere at the OKW and Saratoga Springs pools. There are designated smoking areas.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right now I'm trying to stay away from the Art of Animation and other value resorts. They seem to be the furthest from the parks and have the most unreliable bus service over all. If we need to beat a hasty retreat to an airconditioned room for a neb treatment, I don't want to have to wait half an hour for a bus, if that makes sense.
You could budget for the occasional cab ride.

Serious question...do they not prescribe simple inhalers for children? I tend towards asthma, and have since college (though it was mainly in effect while pregnant and when I stupidly thought I could be an indoor cat owner), and I've had a nebulizer treatment exactly ONCE, when tremendously sick (and I don't even know that it was necessary...I have a feeling that a simple inhaler would have worked, but I hadn't had an attack in a long time and didn't have a rescue or steroid inhaler). Other than that it's just inhalers. Wouldn't that be safer, to have a plain rescue inhaler with you in your park bag in case of emergency?

And I don't trust the people on TA for even a second. Just from what they post about DisneyLAND hotels I know that they've just about all lost their minds.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
You could budget for the occasional cab ride.

Serious question...do they not prescribe simple inhalers for children? I tend towards asthma, and have since college (though it was mainly in effect while pregnant and when I stupidly thought I could be an indoor cat owner), and I've had a nebulizer treatment exactly ONCE, when tremendously sick (and I don't even know that it was necessary...I have a feeling that a simple inhaler would have worked, but I hadn't had an attack in a long time and didn't have a rescue or steroid inhaler). Other than that it's just inhalers. Wouldn't that be safer, to have a plain rescue inhaler with you in your park bag in case of emergency?

And I don't trust the people on TA for even a second. Just from what they post about DisneyLAND hotels I know that they've just about all lost their minds.

Oh heavens yes! We carry a rescue inhaler at all times! However, when he has a serious attack, he needs to have continuous albuterol/steroid nebulizers to prevent the next step, which can end up being in the emergency room for IV steroids and a shot of adrenaline.

The other kid has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts. We're a fun bunch, I tell ya

Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

And thanks for the feedback on the TA reviews. I knew there was a good chance it was completely bogus.

DH has the idea of instead of doing either a villa or a luxury, doing two rooms at a moderate. I priced that out...not bad!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

The little gal in the middle there so far does not seem to be allergic to anything OR have asthma. She has, however, cost us thousands in leg braces.

DH and I are joking that at least thus far the baby does not appear to be defective!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Oh heavens yes! We carry a rescue inhaler at all times! However, when he has a serious attack, he needs to have continuous albuterol/steroid nebulizers to prevent the next step, which can end up being in the emergency room for IV steroids and a shot of adrenaline.

The other kid has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts. We're a fun bunch, I tell ya
If your child needs neb treatments fairly frequently, I wonder if you couldn't bring the nebulizer with you to the parks and keep it in a locker or ask the park first aid center to hold it for you. Then if he needs a treatment PDQ, you could just go to the first aid center in the park. It might be a lot quicker than trying to get back to your resort.

Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If your child needs neb treatments fairly frequently, I wonder if you couldn't bring the nebulizer with you to the parks and keep it in a locker or ask the park first aid center to hold it for you. Then if he needs a treatment PDQ, you could just go to the first aid center in the park. It might be a lot quicker than trying to get back to your resort.

Just a thought.
That's not a bad idea, actually. I wonder if the Disney medics have nebs? then I could just bring the duovents to the park and borrow the machine if necessary

Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
And thanks for the feedback on the TA reviews. I knew there was a good chance it was completely bogus.

DH has the idea of instead of doing either a villa or a luxury, doing two rooms at a moderate. I priced that out...not bad!
The only thing to remember about doing 2 rooms is that you can NOT book connecting. It would only be a request and you would not be guaranteed to get them (no matter what your confirmation says). All Disney will guarantee is that you get a room on property and I have seen too many people who are told they will get connecting rooms and then do not. So, I just wanted to be sure you knew that.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
The only thing to remember about doing 2 rooms is that you can NOT book connecting. It would only be a request and you would not be guaranteed to get them (no matter what your confirmation says). All Disney will guarantee is that you get a room on property and I have seen too many people who are told they will get connecting rooms and then do not. So, I just wanted to be sure you knew that.
Good to know. Oy. I had read they were pretty accommodating when it was parents and minor children...no?

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: