Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
ivngtx
Earning My Ears

Parents of toddlers: Snacks from WDW resort to port in FL

I am concerned about the time frame it could take if we use WDW transportation from the resort to the port. I have a toddler and with a 90 min ride to Port Canaveral from POR, going through security and check-in, it'll be easy 2 1/2 - 3 hours later - he will be STARVING without something to eat. Are there vending machines in the terminal in FL? How do others traveling w/ small children handle snacks with kids under 5? If we can't figure out a solution, I see there is a McDonalds less than a mile away, so we figured if we use a private car we can do a small detour through their drive thru. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
ivngtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivngtx View Post
I am concerned about the time frame it could take if we use WDW transportation from the resort to the port. I have a toddler and with a 90 min ride to Port Canaveral from POR, going through security and check-in, it'll be easy 2 1/2 - 3 hours later - he will be STARVING without something to eat. Are there vending machines in the terminal in FL? How do others traveling w/ small children handle snacks with kids under 5? If we can't figure out a solution, I see there is a McDonalds less than a mile away, so we figured if we use a private car we can do a small detour through their drive thru. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
There are no vending machines in the terminal (that I recall). You know if your kids need food in that length of time. If you are traveling in a private car, I would say a stop/detour might be the best idea.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

There is a soda vending machine, but I don't recall if there was a food one. In any event, as a parent of a toddler, you should have snacks on hand. When we travel, we always have lots of snack packs such as goldfish, pretzels, gummi fruits, etc... on us. Always be preparred.
GoofyDisneyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Pack some snacks or buy some at the resort. I would try to get your kids to eat something before you get to the port because the sight of Mickey might have them tuned out until it is too late and they are starving. Maybe try and have breakfast a bit later than normal as well. If Cabanas is packed when you board head for the quick service by the pool, within moments you can have some chicken fingers and fries ready for them.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
ivngtx
Earning My Ears

thanks!

Thanks for all the quick responses!

I think we're going to go with the private car service AND purchasing some snacks @ POR that morning. We'll be arriving the Thursday before the Sunday departure so we'll be @ POR for quite a few days. I'm sure by then the few snacks we arrive with will be gone by Sunday.
ivngtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
txaggie94gigem
Cruisin' with Disney
Water is #1

Yes but Disney sells them too....they have Mickey head "goldfish" and Mickey pretzels....I don't mind spending a little money on snacks like these that I can't get anywhere else! Does the money difference between a private car and wdw transportation make it worth the difference and hassle of renting a car and returning it etc...?
Disney Magic 8 day Bahamas April 26, 2013; Disney Magic Anniversary cruise Feb 5, 2013; WDW 2012; Universal 2011 (the shame!); Disney Dream Dec 2011; Disney Dream Maiden Voyage Jan 2011; WDW Dec 2010; WDW June 2010; WDW May 2009; Disney Magic May 2008 Panama Canal; Disney Magic May 12, 2007 1st Transatlantic Crossing to the Med; Disney Magic Nov 2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip; Disneyland June 2006; Disney Magic Oct 2005; Disney Wonder Nov 2004; WDW Nov 2004; WDW Jan 1993; WDW May 1988

txaggie94gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

We are lucky to have a toddler that loves trail mix and granola bars. I always travel with these items! They come in nice small sealed packages and can be taken thru the various security check points without question. Plus they pack in nutritional value.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
sourberry
Earning My Ears

Eat before you leave the resort and pack extra snacks from home or buy some at the resort before you leave. DCL transfers are so convenient! Renting a private car in order to swing by McDonald is not worth the hassle IMO.

April 18 - 29, 2013 - 7-Night Eastern Carribean Fantasy and 1st visit to WDW! - PTR coming soon! May 14 - 18, 2012 - 4-Night Bahamian Magic
sourberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, port, snack, toddler, transportation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: