Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Earning My Ears
SoMosMom's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the Heartland.
Posts: 35

Originally Posted by BeerManZ View Post
I was on the Magic sailing out on the 12th. We drove in (all the way from Milwaukee, but had spent the night before at a friend's house in Houston). We were driving over the big bridge in Galveston when we got the automated phone call from Disney saying the ship was delayed due to fog, and we should arrive 4 hours after our selected check in time. It was around 9am (we were early) and we had a 11:00am check-in.. so we had a lot of time to kill! We found a Jimmy John's in town and sat there for a few hours. The parking lot was full waiting for passengers to disembark, so we couldn't just park the vehicle.

There is a website I was monitoring on my phone where you can see boats, their direction and speed. Once I saw out boat was coming in, I dropped my family off at the port and drove to park my car. The reps at the port said no one was being allowed inside the building until 4pm. Luckily, the parking company found me a spot and took me to the dock to hang out with the family. As a guess, this was around 3pm. Once I had arrived back at the port, staff had let people enter the building earlier than they said. As a bonus, this got us in boarding group 3.

We sat for some time and finally got another automated phone call from Disney.. this time it said to arrive 6 hours after scheduled check in time. After a couple hours, we were able to check in, then board the ship. Rooms were not ready yet, so we walked around the ship. We still had dinner (1st seating) which was pushed back a couple hours. No one was dressed well for that since they didn't have their baggage yet.

The captain said we would leave port around 4am I think. My wife and I awoke around that time, and we were still in port. I think it was around 4:30am by the time we left. Somehow, we still arrived in Grand Cayman on time. I am sad, though, that we didn't have the Sail Away party
Ditto most of that. I'd like to add a little more though. We received several phone calls - some automated and some from the concierge (my parents and our daughters were booked in concierge, we had a regular stateroom with our reservations linked). When the concierge was unable to reach my parents, they called my phone and then DH's phone. It was basically the same message either way (real live person or automated voicemail) but the personal calls from the concierge were a nice touch. The parking situation was a bit unsettling... When DF called DH to say the line to park was 3 miles long, we did not fully understand the seriousness of the statement. The line was long, unmarked and, yes, at a dead stop. People were getting out of their cars and making friends like it was a street party (a very sad dismayed street party). We sat there for about an hour and a half but once it started moving it moved at a decent pace. For $60 a parking space, though, DH thought it would've been nice if the parking lot had sent somebody around in a golf cart to let us know that we were indeed in the right place. We contemplated going back to the Hilton where we had stayed the night before because they offered free parking and a shuttle to the port, but I figured that by the time we did that we would probably still get there at the same time so we stayed put. We enjoyed the quiet time together since our girls were with the Grammy at the port already.
The down side was that we were so far back in line that we were in boarding group 22 (not sure how many there were, but by the time we were boarding the port was fairly well cleared out so I'm guessing maybe 25?)

I thought I heard that we left port around 3:30 but we were asleep so who knows... 3:30 am, 4:30 am.... either way, we were hauling you-know-what the next day to get to Grand Cayman. It was windy and chilly, but heck, it was the wide open sea.... GORGEOUS, Relaxing and Wonderful... err, uh.. Magical!

1TL Me and 5
2013: Disney Cruise, Galveston/Eastern Caribbean; Coronado Springs 2012: Grand Floridian 2011: Wilderness Lodge 2010: Port Orleans, Riverside:

...and the pre-BHE trips:Disney Cruise, Caribbean 2008; 1999 Annual Passholder; WDW First Visit: 1990

Oh My Goodness this Disboards thing is so addictive... what have I gotten myself into?????

Last edited by SoMosMom; 01-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.
SoMosMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.