Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
Can anyone recommend me some good places to buy trip insurance?
We have used travel guard and it's very reasonable. Under $100. Haven't had to use it, but I liked the coverage.

Quote:
Could I still get trip insurance and order the MYW package from Disney or will I have to go to a travel agent to arrange my entire vacation?
No need to go with a travel agent, you can go right through Disney.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Can anyone recommend me some good places to buy trip insurance? Could I still get trip insurance and order the MYW package from Disney or will I have to go to a travel agent to arrange my entire vacation?
I go to ***************** because you can put in the details of your trip and it gives you information about a wide variety of insurance plans. Some are full plans, some are partial coverage plans like medical only. Then you can compare across the details and costs of these plans and pick the one that best suits your needs. I'd bet you'd be able to find a plan for cheaper than the price you were quoted.
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Food for thought . . . .

I found out the hard way that trip insurance is non-refundable. I had a Magic Your Way package booked and then changed it to do a split stay when my son decided to join me. I'm not sure the CM handled it correctly, but she refunded my deposit from my first booking MINUS the cost of the insurance.
Like I said, I'm not sure that she handled the change correctly, but I do know that I'm out the insurance money.
I believe the CM was correct. I remember being told before that their trip insurance was non-refundablewhen I booked a package.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
Marla1106
Mouseketeer

I am going to purchase it this trip. On our last trip we found out that my sister had a brain tumor. It was hard not leaving to be with her right away, but it was our last day anyway. She has been fighting brain cancer for almost 2 years now and since she is getting worse, we will buy the insurance just in case we need to go back home quickly and cut our trip short.
Marla1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
I believe the CM was correct. I remember being told before that their trip insurance was non-refundablewhen I booked a package.
I'm sure she was correct about insurance being non-refundable. I didn't give the details of our 45 minute conversation, but what I think she handled incorrectly is that I could have done a Magic Your Way package for the three days my son and I were at the first resort and kept the insurance and then I could have upgraded my park tickets for the second resort when I was alone. We're both coming from New York (think snow) so insurance would have been nice.

Bottom line, instead of modifying my original MYW reservation and keeping the insurance, I now have two room only reservations without insurance.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Insuring Disney trip/flight "purchased" with points

thinking about insuring our trip.....but how do you do this if you used rapid rewards points for southwest airfare? Do you factor in the actual cost of the flights in dollars as if you had paid along with the cost of Magic Your Way package when you get a quote on travel guard?
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

If you are using RR points for your flights you can cancel for a full refund ofbyour points at any time so no point spending money to insure it. We used Delta Skymiles on our last trip and it costs $150 pp to change the flight so that's what we insured for.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
Muddypaws
Mouseketeer

Right now I am sooooo thankful we bought trip insurance! We are supposed to leave in 10 days and just found out that my 86 year old father-in-law was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. I am crossing all my fingers and toes that he will be okay.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

we've never used insurance before, but did this time as we're traveling the first week of February and just want protection in case we're blocked out due to weather.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla1106 View Post
I am going to purchase it this trip. On our last trip we found out that my sister had a brain tumor. It was hard not leaving to be with her right away, but it was our last day anyway. She has been fighting brain cancer for almost 2 years now and since she is getting worse, we will buy the insurance just in case we need to go back home quickly and cut our trip short.
Thoughts for your sister, and you too.

There's not really a set answer on travel insurance. For example, when I go to WDW, I book room only and I drive to the resort. So the most I would ever be out if I had to cancel within a week of arrival is the one night deposit. I'm willing to take the gamble on that, especially since I live close anyway. But if I'd paid for a package or were flying, my opinion might be different because there would be more to lose if something came up.

However, when I went to the UK a couple times, I bought it because I was flying and I wanted the medical coverage and evac coverage as well. It wasn't overly expensive and it gave me peace of mind. And really, peace of mind is what it's all about.

Figure out a worst case scenario of what you would lose, and then find the travel insurance that would cover those losses and see what the cost would be. That's the only way to make an informed decision about whether the insurance is worth it for your family.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
wdwagain518
Mouseketeer

If you are purchasing insurance from Disney with a package (which I always do because my dad has health issues), the best way is to add it on at final payment (45 days prior to arrival). Your deposit is fully refundable up until that point-UNLESS you purchased the insurance at time of deposit in which case they will subtract the non-refundable insurance from your deposit. It's worth the $150 to me to know that if I need to cancel after final payment is made, all I will lose is the cost of the insurance.

One caution about outside vendor insurance-be sure to read the coverage since many of them do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the insurance is purchased at the time of booking.

wdwagain518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
honkytonkmama
Mouseketeer

Our first trip we got the insurance, mostly for the "in case of hurricane" thing. Night 1, after we had been there about 4 hours, at chef mickeys my 400$ camera dropped on a table leg and broke. The insurance sent me a check for the perchance price of my camera after the trip was over. I will be getting the insurance again, lol.
Aug 2015 - POR 7 days
https://www.facebook.com/lhammupanduptravel
honkytonkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwagain518
If you are purchasing insurance from Disney with a package (which I always do because my dad has health issues), the best way is to add it on at final payment (45 days prior to arrival). Your deposit is fully refundable up until that point-UNLESS you purchased the insurance at time of deposit in which case they will subtract the non-refundable insurance from your deposit. It's worth the $150 to me to know that if I need to cancel after final payment is made, all I will lose is the cost of the insurance.

One caution about outside vendor insurance-be sure to read the coverage since many of them do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the insurance is purchased at the time of booking.
Well Disney insurance never covers pre existing conditions as far as I know, so there's. I difference there.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: