Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
... I have my first half tomorrow morning and I am so excited! We went to the packet pickup/expo today. It was really small, only about 6 merchants but Bondi Band was there and I picked up a few and my husband got me a gift. I think I know what it is but I don't think he is giving it to me until our anniversary in two weeks.
That's right, I meant to wish you GOOD LUCK tomorrow! I hope it goes great!

Let us know what the gift is!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
McDuck
DIS Veteran
 
McDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 732

May I join in? My name is Jennie, I posted a bit on the 2013 Marathon Weekend Thread. My husband, best friend, and I finished the Donald Half Marathon, which was the first Half Marathon for all of us. Actually, I hadn't done a race longer than 5K. I am a HUGE Donald fan, and I figured in case I was one and done, I wanted my first medal to be a Donald medal. We finished in 3:02:37, which included a bad fall on my part in the TTC Parking Lot (thankfully landing on pea gravel, so I only tore up the heel of my hand and have a nice souvenir of ingrained dirt that hasn't worked its way free yet LOL). Of course, I am totally hooked on races now, so the Donald medal is just the first!

Right now I am planning on the Crescent City Classic 10K on March 30th, and the Back to Football 5K which was in September last year and I assume will be in Sept again this year. I am also planning on the Princess Half next year (2014). Other than that, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for races that catch my interest and that I can register for as budget allows.

Thanks!!!
__________________
Jennie*~*~*~* 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Finisher <--MY FIRST HALF! , Glass Slipper Challenge: Enchanted 10K & Princess Half Marathon 2014 FINISHER
IN TRAINING: Inaugural Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon & Coast to Coast!
First Drop in the Bucket List: Marathon Weekend 2013 Trip Report!

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Big Vic
DIS Veteran
 
Big Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 2,266

Jennie -
__________________
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
DizGirl20
DIS Veteran
 
DizGirl20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,437

Jennie - Welcome to the Ducks! This seems like the perfect group for you given our group name! Congrats on completing your first Half Marathon. I plan to do my first HM at Marathon Weekend next year

Liz - How cool that you are running in DL! When is it? I agree, you might as well go for it at this point

Carolynn - Thanks for starting the new thread

So this is my big question for everyone. Where does the Half Marathon start/finish? What about the 5K? Trying to figure out the best place to stay. I have DVC points so would prefer to use my points to stay at a DVC resort. I appreciate any input you guys have. Would like to be as close to the start/finish as possible.

I have a year to start training - ready to get started!
__________________
DizGirl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
airman
DisneyNerd
 
airman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGirl20 View Post

So this is my big question for everyone. Where does the Half Marathon start/finish? What about the 5K? Trying to figure out the best place to stay. I have DVC points so would prefer to use my points to stay at a DVC resort. I appreciate any input you guys have. Would like to be as close to the start/finish as possible.

I have a year to start training - ready to get started!
Robyn: all of the races start at the Epcot parking lot at the spot that the races end. The 5K starts at the parking lot and run into Epcot. the half & full you will do close to a mile walk to get to the corrals. This year some of us stayed at resorts near the corrals, (SSR,PO FQ & OKW which is the closest). It was very convenient to walk, not having to deal with the buses and getting up so early. A draw back to walking is you loose some of the party feeling with the DJ and the excitement and you miss the chance for a last minute potty stop (no porta potties at the corrals, just an open field). All of the races end back in the parking lot in front of a grandstand.
All Disney resort including DVC are event resorts, so you won't have any problem staying at any of them. To be safe you might look into booking your home resort at 11 months. Marathon weekend is getting more popular every year. I was lucky and able to book OKW at the 7 month window, but I think my only choices at that time was SSR & OKW. I hope that is helpful.

Liz: I forgot to mention, the Best Western is a easy walk to DL. We stayed at the hotel next to it and it wasn't a problem at all. The walk from your hotel to the start of the races near the DL Hotel is simular to the walk from race start to the corrals at WDW, maybe a little longer.
I have to admit, I am looking at flights to LAX that weekend, (I really want to do those races). I will keep you informed on what I do, but I better make a decision soon, I don't thing the DDD will last much longer than the opeing date in 2 days.

I had a good swim yesterday, I pushed myself a little more than usual. I think I will keep that up another week then run again.

Have a good week everyone.

Joe
__________________
"I snack, therefore I run"


">
airman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
May I join in? My name is Jennie, I posted a bit on the 2013 Marathon Weekend Thread. My husband, best friend, and I finished the Donald Half Marathon, which was the first Half Marathon for all of us. Actually, I hadn't done a race longer than 5K. I am a HUGE Donald fan, and I figured in case I was one and done, I wanted my first medal to be a Donald medal. We finished in 3:02:37, which included a bad fall on my part in the TTC Parking Lot (thankfully landing on pea gravel, so I only tore up the heel of my hand and have a nice souvenir of ingrained dirt that hasn't worked its way free yet LOL). Of course, I am totally hooked on races now, so the Donald medal is just the first!

Right now I am planning on the Crescent City Classic 10K on March 30th, and the Back to Football 5K which was in September last year and I assume will be in Sept again this year. I am also planning on the Princess Half next year (2014). Other than that, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for races that catch my interest and that I can register for as budget allows.

Thanks!!!
Welcome to the Ducks Jennie!

Congrats on your first half! I'm sorry about the fall though, ouch!

That's great you've got a couple races already planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGirl20 View Post
... Liz - How cool that you are running in DL! When is it? I agree, you might as well go for it at this point

...

So this is my big question for everyone. Where does the Half Marathon start/finish? What about the 5K? Trying to figure out the best place to stay. I have DVC points so would prefer to use my points to stay at a DVC resort. I appreciate any input you guys have. Would like to be as close to the start/finish as possible.

I have a year to start training - ready to get started!
Hi Robyn! The Disneyland half and all is Labor Day weekend. I guess it is always that weekend?? Someone told me that.

As far as Marathon Weekend, Joe covered it all pretty much... I'll just share my opinion in that I think as a first timer you should take the bus to the start area and experience all of that (instead of walking to the corrals if you stayed near them like some of us did this year). I think a newbie should experience it ALL for their first race. So in that case it doesn't matter where you stay since all resorts will have race bus service. As Joe said, I would book your DVC room sooner than later so you get what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
... Liz: I forgot to mention, the Best Western is a easy walk to DL. We stayed at the hotel next to it and it wasn't a problem at all. The walk from your hotel to the start of the races near the DL Hotel is simular to the walk from race start to the corrals at WDW, maybe a little longer.
I have to admit, I am looking at flights to LAX that weekend, (I really want to do those races). I will keep you informed on what I do, but I better make a decision soon, I don't thing the DDD will last much longer than the opeing date in 2 days.

I had a good swim yesterday, I pushed myself a little more than usual. I think I will keep that up another week then run again.

Have a good week everyone.

Joe
Go for it!! Part of my thinking in doing the DDD is that there is always that chance they don't do it again. Look at the Chip and Dale relay, apparently one and done! I'm so glad I got that medal! If for some reason DDD is also one and done, I want to get that medal! Now, my opinion is that there's a better chance that they continue with DDD than C&D, just seems like there's no reason they wouldn't, but what do I know? I'm not taking my chances. Dumbo medal here I come!



Way to go on the swimming! I haven't run yet and probably won't until NEXT week, Jan 28th. The next race I'm thinking about is a 10K in May, so I have no need to push getting back into it. Want to let my legs have a good rest!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

My first half is in the books! I felt great out there. I do 3 minute run/1 walk and skip a run interval every two miles. It worked perfect! At mile 11 I started to picture my self crossing the finish line and speed up! The woman I was running with mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed, haha. So I slowed back down not to tire out. I did start to get tired at mile 12 but at that point I knew I had it and tryed to keep my pace. I can now say I run half marathons, lol. My husband was so awesome this morning, he found 3 different spots towards the beginning of the race to chear me on, got breakfast, then found two spots towards the end. We did an out and back from about mile 4.5 to about mile 11 so that was not feasible for him to walk to. The weather was a bit colder than I would have liked but still beautiful. I'll post a pick of the awesome medal later, I'm sitting in a cold bath now. Oh, my time, unoffical for now, 2:52! I was so happy to be under 3 hours!
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Congratulations Amanda! Sounds like it went well!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

I joined the DDD group on fb and there is a post there talking about DDD possibly selling out on or before tomorrow! Who knows if that will actually happen, but if you are thinking about doing DDD, I'd sign up today if I were you. They have gotten a lot of registrations at the Expos. Apparently even the Disneyland half, on its own, has more registrations so far this year as compared to last year at the same time.

liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
jenifred
Mouseketeer
 
jenifred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 393

Hey Ducks!

So I went AWOL after the WDW Marathon. We've been redoing the floors at my house since we got back and I'm just beat in the evenings.

DH and I had a great time at the Marathon. I ate more bananas in two days than I care to remember, but I didn't have any cramping! I actually felt good enough that a 2015 Goofy seems doable. (Despite the fact that I swore I'd never do a marathon again.) But poor DH...on Saturday, he realized he left his running shoes at home. He had to run in brand new shoes. His feet were killing him by mile 13, but he was a trooper.

Mom finished the Half just fine. So proud of her...she's already talking marathon.

We are definietly doing these races this year.

March 20, 2013 - Crescent City Classic 10K
December 14, 2013 - Ole Man River Half

Thinking about Wine and Dine, but still on the fence about that one.

Welcome to all the new ducks. Glad to have you with us!
__________________
me DH DD5 DS2

jenifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
disney_runner
Mouseketeer
 
disney_runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
I joined the DDD group on fb and there is a post there talking about DDD possibly selling out on or before tomorrow! Who knows if that will actually happen, but if you are thinking about doing DDD, I'd sign up today if I were you. They have gotten a lot of registrations at the Expos. Apparently even the Disneyland half, on its own, has more registrations so far this year as compared to last year at the same time.

Way to put the pressure on, Liz. I shall report soon........

No other big races in my forseeable future. 2014 ToT is likely to be DD's first big race. But nothing big for 2013 for me.... yet.
__________________
Tanya


Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
disney_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
DizGirl20
DIS Veteran
 
DizGirl20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,437

Joe & Liz - Thanks for the input re: where to stay. I think I am going to book AKV at 11 months... and then see if I can switch to OKW at 7 months. At least that's the plan for now. BUT first I have to get my behind in gear and get running! I started a new PT job that has me working FT hours (long story) - but as soon as I go back to my normal PT hours I am going to follow Jeff Galloway's training plan(s). There is a 5K here that I want to run in April. That will be my first goal. I have a year to train but I am sure it will fly by!

I LOVED seeing everyone's pictures from Marathon Weekend on FaceBook, it is great motivation!
__________________
DizGirl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Jeni~Hi! There are a few of us who are also thinking about Goofy 2015 around here...
Your poor dh! I bet that wasn't a pleasant feeling when he realized he forgot them. Did he happen to use the new runDisney New Balance shoes?! ha

Tanya~Lol....Don't shoot the messenger! People on the fb group are now wondering how long it will take tomorrow for it to sell out. One says 2 hrs. We shall see! Who really knows, it could be days or weeks. Or, it could be tomorrow...lol

Robyn~Sounds like good plans! Your running plans remind me of when I first began in 2009. I did the C25K program starting in late February and ran my first 5K in May...so fairly close to your timeframe this year. You can do it!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #29
disney_runner
Mouseketeer
 
disney_runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 340

OK, boys and girls. I'm in for the Dumbo Double Dare!!!! So excited! Best husband ever to agree to this, you have no idea.

Now I can relax, sit back, and watch it sell out quickly.
__________________
Tanya


Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
disney_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Yippeeeeeeeee Tanya!!!!

Four Ducks doing the DDD now! Woohoo!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: