Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
tennessee
Mouseketeer

u can request a king size bed. My hubby and always do and we get it. I love the values. I find the smaller pools at the resort usually dont have many kids.Save the money and do other things. Deluxe is not that great and not for the price. I have stayed at many deluxe hotels and dont put disney deluxe with the ones in chicago and many other places we have been.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
deadhedjen
Mouseketeer

We just did our family trip in August at BWI (Dx rm CL), and just this month a girls only trip at ASSp.

Previously, we'd only stayed value (ASMo & Pop) for all our trips or off site.

Gotta tell you...I preferred ASSp over BWI. Even with the CL and everything.

Just couldn't justify the extra cost. Plus, bus service was much better IMO.

Here's what was nice about BWI...

-being so close to Epcot WS you could go there every night just taking a short stroll.

-access to drinks/snacks/breakfast in the CL.

-room was WAY bigger (we did have a Dx room though)

Here's what was nice about staying at ASSp...

-paid $63.75 or $74.25 per night depending on if it was a weekday/weekend (vs $466-$494 per night at BWI)

-room was closer to the food court/busses than it was to the busses/boardwalk at BWI

-bus service was better. No picking up/dropping off at S/D, BC/YC.

-there's a fridge in the room so we had drinks/snacks anytime we wanted them (packed in checked bags, but can do a grocery delivery with $ saved)

I know you are considering Pop, and all of he above will still apply.
Pop also has nicer grounds/theme than the All-Stars IMO.

I say use the money saved and do signature meals, spa treatments, cab rides if you don't feel like waiting for busses, etc.

Me , DH , DS19 , DD17 , DD14 , and DD11

deadhedjen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
LuvGoofy6
"This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here, don't you cry." ~ Kala

The fact that there are only two of you can go either way. If my husband and I were going without kids then we may spend extra money doing the pampering thing because we aren't spending as much on airfare, food and park tickets for a family of four. The theming is fun at the values but that depends on what theme you are wanting. Are you wanting restful or fun? The Yacht Club theming was very restful and even in December the buses were much better than the time we stayed at the value. While at the value we rarely had a seat as the buses were packed. However, we did like the options of food at the food court when at the value. OP, maybe ask yourself what you want from the vacation. Do you want restful pampering or lots of activity?

(Disneyland): 2013 Sheraton Park

(WDW) 2014 Wilderness Lodge

LuvGoofy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I do feel like the values are underrated. I have stayed at Pop with:

my BFF (we were in our 20s) and her parents (late 50s)
two or three twenty/thirty-something girlfriends
my BFF, her brother and SIL
my BFF and two teen cousins (14 & 15,) one of whom was on an air mattress on the floor

The air mattress makes things a bit crowded. But we are definitely people who only dress and sleep in the room. We do tend to have lunch in the room a few times - stay in the parks from RD until noon or 1, take the bus back to Pop, grab lunch from the food court, go back to our rooms to eat. (Usually someone showers while the rest eat, and we swap out, then nap.)

This last trip, our feet were soooo sore (ran half-marathon and then toured the parks) and the pool was just fine to stick them in, vs. a hot tub. We stayed once at AKL and couldn't use the hot tubs because of some nasty smokers in them. (Nasty referring to their attitude, when we asked them to stop smoking due to it causing us respiratory problems/asthma flares... and the fact that it was posted no smoking.)

The only thing I would've changed about that trip was to request a preferred room. We were not moving very well and were in the way back corner of the 80s on the 4th floor. LOL!

Anyways, crowded busses are a PITA but it happens maybe three-four times during the trip. Four times, x15 minutes a trip, is a single hour of uncomfortableness vs. $$$ savings.

If I were you, I might do 4 days Pop 2 days BWI... that will give you a taste of both "styles" but still save a good bit of money. Then you will be able to make an informed decision about which is more important to you for your next trip.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

The Values are incredibly....underrated. INCREDIBLY.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
quandrea
DIS Veteran

I agree. I would always go value of I were not a dvcer. Great price. Good product.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Lots of love for the values here! I talked to my my wife about the idea but she simply sees the values as being overrun with rug rats and being stuck in a tiny room. She is used to 850 square feet, a California king bed, a jacuzzi, a high rise view, and access to a full kitchen and washer and dryer. All for less than the price of the values and in just as good of a location (bonnet creek). So yeah, pop century is a tough sell!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

I do prefer the deluxes and having only stayed at one budget- the POP. Which I think is great. It has great bus trans, good food court and the atmosphere is alot of fun! Definetly underrated!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
Dreamsdocometrue9112
"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

Totally underrated! We are also extremely fortunate enough have the option of staying where ever. We are also a young couple without children and we love going 2-3 times/year. We made the decision: special occasions we stay deluxe; all other trips we stay value. It makes sense for us. We stayed at GF for our honeymoon and it was perfect, but why drop $5000 dollars on a random vacation when we could use that money towards ANOTHER trip in the year? We will be taking 3 trips in 2013. Two of which will be values and one deluxe for our anniversary. Doing this allows us to be able to take 3 trips. And I would rather go more

It's personal preference, but based on your thought process, sounds like you're really leaning to value. Good luck in your decision

Dreamsdocometrue9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at most of the Values, but went of off-site for a number of years because:

- Value rooms tiny, while off-site is a large condo for same price
- Value room loud - paper thin walls, can't sleep!
- Values have no hot tub, no slide for kids, garish decorations, and remind me of a Howard Johnson's Motel

We might never go to a Value again.

This time we are staying in a moderate (POR). The visual difference between POR and a Value is significant. The cost difference with an off-season S/P/D discount is pocket change.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

While I have never stayed at a Mod/Deluxe, I think that the values are ok. After this upcoming visit, we will have stayed at all 3 (ok not the AOA). I really liked POP and thought it was more updated.
I would LOOOOVVVE to stay at the Poly. My DH has stayed at all Deluxe multiple times and said they are great. I would imagine so! I will say that our past vacations at Disney haven't been more than 6 days stretches. If they were, we would spend more time at the resort thereby possibly changing opinions. I will say that w/young kids, the Values are great because of the very kid friendly pools!
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
KatMark
DIS Veteran

It really comes down to how you like your vacation. If you like all the hustle/bustle, then you'd probably like a value. If you want a little more quiet resort, the deluxe is the way to go.

We are in the minority in this thread and do not like the values and will not stay at them as they don't fit our vacation style. That is not in any way saying there is anything wrong with them, they just aren't for us.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #28
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

when dh and i were younger and childless, values were great. after going in 2011 and seeing the very long lines for buses leaving the parks and getting on the ME honestly had me very happy we stayed at a moderate.

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy View Post
when dh and i were younger and childless, values were great. after going in 2011 and seeing the very long lines for buses leaving the parks and getting on the ME honestly had me very happy we stayed at a moderate.
THis is a very good point I hadn't considered. Still not a huge fan of the mods, but this got me thinking.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at POP and OKW, and I have to say that I really preferred POP! We like having the food court with so many easy & quick options, one central bus stop seemed easier than going around the entire circuit to wait for a stop close enough to walk, and I like the more in-your-face theming of the value resorts over resorts with subtle (albeit very pretty!) theming.

So for me and my money, I would choose Value.

All that being said, I haven't stayed at a monorail resort, and that could be a game changer, because that is a really nice perk!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boardwalk, deluxe, pop, spa, value resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: