DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
I was just curious. I've never had experience with timeshares before.
I think regular timeshares are for life...Disney is different in that it has and expiration. We own OKW and got a letter a few years ago, from DVC, asking us if we wanted to pay to get the extension...it was a few thousand dollars and we were like 'no thank you'. I can't see us continuing to visit WDW into our 70s....we figure we will pass our points on to our kids at some point (my plan was to have 300 points so that each kid could use 100...we have 275 and are trying to add on some more right now).
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #32
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
I think regular timeshares are for life...Disney is different in that it has and expiration. We own OKW and got a letter a few years ago, from DVC, asking us if we wanted to pay to get the extension...it was a few thousand dollars and we were like 'no thank you'. I can't see us continuing to visit WDW into our 70s....we figure we will pass our points on to our kids at some point (my plan was to have 300 points so that each kid could use 100...we have 275 and are trying to add on some more right now).
So if you pass on your points to your children, won't they expire since you didn't extend the contract? Will your children and their families be able to use the points without the extension?
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So if you pass on your points to your children, won't they expire since you didn't extend the contract? Will your children and their families be able to use the points without the extension?
They can use them until they expire and if Disney offers an extension then I guess my kids can buy it. I suppose, at some point, we will have to add our kids names on the contracts so they have access to them.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #34
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
My advice would be to skim the thread topics over the past few months to find ones pertaining to your questions as well as read the stickies on this board. You will learn a lot in a very organized fashion, and then you can start a thread to ask any question that you still have after doing your research. It might be easier and less confusing for you as you learn what you need to know about DVC.
I'll second this, as it has been working for me. It certainly does take a bit of time, though (but it's FUN!!)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #35
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

to put cost in perspective. DH and I purchased 210 points direct in 2009, for reasons that are not improtant we decided to finance with Disney for 10 years at I think 10.75% interest. Our points then cost $93 a point after discounts running at the time. It was difficult for me to find the cost, too. We pay $237 a month for our mortgage and $80 a month for MFs. You are not penalized if you pay it off early and it does not show up on your credit report because Disney is accepting the risk with their points. We have excellent credit so were given a preferred interest rate as opposed to the standard interest rate of about 14%.

DH and I do not own a boat, golf, gamble or want a Rolex. This is the way we choose to spend our money.

I spoke with the Guide on a Saturday morning, we had the contract on Tuesday, sent it back on Thursday and it was at Disney on Friday.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
They can use them until they expire and if Disney offers an extension then I guess my kids can buy it. I suppose, at some point, we will have to add our kids names on the contracts so they have access to them.
Ok makes sense!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
I'll second this, as it has been working for me. It certainly does take a bit of time, though (but it's FUN!!)
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #38
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
to put cost in perspective. DH and I purchased 210 points direct in 2009, for reasons that are not improtant we decided to finance with Disney for 10 years at I think 10.75% interest. Our points then cost $93 a point after discounts running at the time. It was difficult for me to find the cost, too. We pay $237 a month for our mortgage and $80 a month for MFs. You are not penalized if you pay it off early and it does not show up on your credit report because Disney is accepting the risk with their points. We have excellent credit so were given a preferred interest rate as opposed to the standard interest rate of about 14%.

DH and I do not own a boat, golf, gamble or want a Rolex. This is the way we choose to spend our money.

I spoke with the Guide on a Saturday morning, we had the contract on Tuesday, sent it back on Thursday and it was at Disney on Friday.
Thanks for your explanation. You make it sound easy! Yes, I was surprised that I couldn't find the cost and what I did find did not have the cost for the older resorts like BWV, BCV, etc. Even after I got the info packet in the mail, that still did not explain the pricing!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #39
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Thanks for your explanation. You make it sound easy! Yes, I was surprised that I couldn't find the cost and what I did find did not have the cost for the older resorts like BWV, BCV, etc. Even after I got the info packet in the mail, that still did not explain the pricing!
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...g-a-promotions

This is a link to current pricing for all the resorts.
Note: Resale is much cheaper.

I justified our purchase like buying a car. Monthly payments for us is equal to a new car payment. Paid off in 4/5 years. Monthly dues are like insurance, tags, oil changes, gas, etc. I know this is not a popular comparison for some but it works for us.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #40
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...g-a-promotions

This is a link to current pricing for all the resorts.
Note: Resale is much cheaper.

I justified our purchase like buying a car. Monthly payments for us is equal to a new car payment. Paid off in 4/5 years. Monthly dues are like insurance, tags, oil changes, gas, etc. I know this is not a popular comparison for some but it works for us.
Thank you. Yes, I saw that link. It's a great website. No, your comparison does make sense as long as it is something that will be used.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #41
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Got it. How does one typically choose their home resort?
here is an old but still useful thread for more info about choosing a home resort.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #42
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

That link is great! Thanks so much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: