Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #436
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I'm so glad so many of you have woken up to "everyone should pay their own way." Next time there is a thread on how little financial aid is available, how unreasonable the EFC is, and how can college possibly be so expensive, I'll take down names from this thread to tell you that you need to pay your own way. Because what I'm sick and tired of is not paying so someone can get $4 a day in food stamps while they have a manicure, but subsidizing the college educations of people who can afford trips to Disney while they whine about someone needing SNAP.
A-freakin-men!

It is easy to single out the poor. We all have decades of social conditioning telling us that anyone willing to work hard enough can be wealthy, that we all have the same chances to succeed, and that it is all about personal choices/responsibility. Of course all of those notions are oversimplification at best and fairy tales at worst, but they make it easy for those of us who have done relatively well in life to point out the flaws and shortcomings of those who didn't because the logical flip side to "hard work brings success" is "if you don't succeed, you must not be working hard enough". But we're far less willing to turn that same argument at ourselves when we can't contribute enough to our retirement accounts in the face of ever-increasing health insurance premiums, or when we can't save a quarter million dollars per kid to anticipate college inflation when we haven't seen a raise in a decade.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #437
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Trusting the government isn't working, either. My DH and I have been paying in to SS since we were 15. We will never collect SS, because I'm sure in 20 years it will be means tested. Those of us that lived beneath our means and saved for our retirements will be screwed.
Actually, the SS shortfall can't be blamed entirely on the government. It is a product of the same paradigm shift that made 401k habits an issue in the first place - the end of the traditional pension. Companies keep more of their earnings as profit and government is expected to pick up the tab (the same consequence of a minimum wage that doesn't keep pace with inflation, actually). Social security was sound for the era in which it was designed, when most workers earned a pension along with their wages, but can't hold up to a world in which it is the primary retirement system and the only alternative is a voluntary-contribution system crippled by the strain of stagnant wages and skyrocketing costs of essentials like health care, food, and energy.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #438
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmom View Post
The issue with the earned income tax credit is that an individual can receive more from the credit than they ever paid in taxes. So yes, all families take an exemption for themselves and their kids, but for most people this just decreases the amount of taxes they pay in the year. Many people who receive an earned income credit end up with tax income instead of paying any taxes for the year. The credit is not a refund of money they have paid as they pay zero taxes. Tt is a cash payment from the government and is a form of income redistribution which is a form of welfare. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just explaining why it really is a form of public assistance.
Tax breaks and government benefits are always considered a bad thing when they benefit poor people.

It's no wonder that people continue to focus on the social "welfare queens" while ignoring the corporate welfare kings and subsidies for the rich. It's exactly what they want us to do and it's obviously working.

"The government spent about $59 billion to pay for traditional social welfare programs like food stamps and housing assistance in 2006, while Uncle Sam doled out $92 billion in assistance to corporations during the same year, according to an analysis from Think By Numbers, a progressive blog. That means that big, and in many cases profitable, corporations got nearly double the money from the government that needy individuals got."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1912835.html

Everyone has a problem with government benefits until it benefits them. I didn't see anyone sending back their stimulus check in '09 or refusing to take advantage of the "cash for clunkers" or the 8k first time home buyer credit.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #439
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

I for one am 100% opposed to corporate welfare.
From subsidizing green energy to bailing out favored companies to giving Hollywood and NASCAR tax breaks.

Please, with what actors and NASCAR drivers make, do they really need a tax break?

It has got to stop.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: