Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

LAX Hotels

My family and I need to stay overnight in an LAX hotel on our way to Orlando. On the way home we're looking for a dayroom to spend about 6 hours.
I'm keen to sort all accommodation out, so I've been keeping an eye on LAX hotel prices. But they seem really expensive for a place just to lay our heads.

So I'm really keen to hear about people's experiences with these hotels. Are there any you'd recommend? What sort or prices are considered reasonable?

Musts for us: Clean, safe, a pool, close to the airport, and a casual place in or around the hotel to eat a meal.
Preferences: 3 star or higher, free shuttle, free wifi.

Thanks for any advice you can give. :-)
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
ColinA
DIS Veteran
 
ColinA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central Coast, Australia and The Boardwalk
Posts: 552

We have stayed at the Hoilday Inn many times, much cheaper and better than the Sheraton up the road, you would need to check on day rate, they might want to charge for two nights.

In reality you pay for what you get, some places like the Westin only have the bed to sit on.

Holiday Inn Los Angeles-Intl Airport 9901 S La Cienega Boulevard Los Angeles , California 90045 United States
Book online or call:1 800 972 2576

Been a couple of years since we stayed there but had free internet and bus from the airport.
ColinA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
gogo65
Cheering for Disney
 
gogo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 749

Wanderlust,
The travelodge lax does day rooms from 9am-8pm, have a look, they have a pool, free wifi and free airport transfers.
It gets ok reviews on tripadvisor.
We have stayed at a few of the hotels at lax, they all seem similar, I just pick on price. (Hilton, marriott) Our upcoming trip we are staying at the renaissance on the way over, ($160 including buffett breakfast) however on the way home, the prices had all increased by about $80-100. As we planned to go to universal on our last day, it worked out better for us to stay at the Hilton universal and pay for transfers.

What dates are you looking at?
__________________
WDW offsite 1988
DL Sheraton Anaheim 09/00
WDW Contemporary Resort 01/08
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
becpee
I see sock puppets
 
becpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hi from Oz!
Posts: 2,974

Hey WanderlustNZ (loved your blog btw )
I booked accom on lastminutetravel.com and got Marriott Los Angeles Airport and paid about $100 a night.
Very comfortable hotel, has a shuttle to and from the terminal, very clean, no faults whatsoever (that I noticed anyway).
We tried the room service also and it was great quality.
Try that website, so much cheaper than a lot of others...

I just priced that hotel for overnight 17 Sep on hotel.com vs Lastminutetravel.com and LMT was cheaper by $119 for the same hotel...
__________________


Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Jade+3
DIS Veteran
 
Jade+3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 794

The Ocean Express is a shuttle that runs from LAX hotels to Manhattan Beach, if you are looking for something to do. Manhattan Village is a nice little shopping centre and there are some restaurants there (California Pizza Kitchen, Olive Garden, Chilli's, Coco's). I have never taken the shuttle, we rent a car. This is what we always seem to end up doing on our last day in LA.

http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm...ocean-express/

I have been looking at LAX hotel prices too. They are so much more expensive on weekdays than weekends.
__________________
Disneyland - March 1997, May 2004, November 2007, November 2009, September 2013.
WDW - April 1997, October 2009, September 2011, September 2013.
Disney Wonder - November 2009
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
gogo65
Cheering for Disney
 
gogo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 749

I agree Jade,
Lax hotels are much more expensive during the week, must remember that next time.
Our first night at LAX is a Friday night, great rate, on our return we are staying on a Wednesday night and it goes up nearly $100
We are planning on using the ocean express on our arrival, I think it is $5pp.
__________________
WDW offsite 1988
DL Sheraton Anaheim 09/00
WDW Contemporary Resort 01/08
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinA View Post
We have stayed at the Hoilday Inn many times, much cheaper and better than the Sheraton up the road, you would need to check on day rate, they might want to charge for two nights.

In reality you pay for what you get, some places like the Westin only have the bed to sit on.

Holiday Inn Los Angeles-Intl Airport 9901 S La Cienega Boulevard Los Angeles , California 90045 United States
Book online or call:1 800 972 2576

Been a couple of years since we stayed there but had free internet and bus from the airport.
Thanks Colin. Will check out prices for the Holiday Inn. Loved your pics of Aulani by the way. It looks gorgeous
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo65 View Post
Wanderlust,
The travelodge lax does day rooms from 9am-8pm, have a look, they have a pool, free wifi and free airport transfers.
It gets ok reviews on tripadvisor.
We have stayed at a few of the hotels at lax, they all seem similar, I just pick on price. (Hilton, marriott) Our upcoming trip we are staying at the renaissance on the way over, ($160 including buffett breakfast) however on the way home, the prices had all increased by about $80-100. As we planned to go to universal on our last day, it worked out better for us to stay at the Hilton universal and pay for transfers.

What dates are you looking at?
Thanks gogo65.
I saw the travelodge and it doesn't look like it would be too bad as the dayroom option. It's close enough to shopping centres and the beach that we could go out for a few hours. It doesn't seem that you can book it online which is a bit of a pain. Will keep an eye out and may end up ringing them.

Looking at 17 Sep for overnight and 9th Oct for dayroom.

For some reason I thought LAX hotels would be around US$100 a night, so was surprised to see that most were closer to $200.
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Hey WanderlustNZ (loved your blog btw )
I booked accom on lastminutetravel.com and got Marriott Los Angeles Airport and paid about $100 a night.
Very comfortable hotel, has a shuttle to and from the terminal, very clean, no faults whatsoever (that I noticed anyway).
We tried the room service also and it was great quality.
Try that website, so much cheaper than a lot of others...

I just priced that hotel for overnight 17 Sep on hotel.com vs Lastminutetravel.com and LMT was cheaper by $119 for the same hotel...
Firstly, thanks for the blog compliment

That website does seem really cheap. So in your opinion is the website completely legit? I've never heard of it until now.
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
The Ocean Express is a shuttle that runs from LAX hotels to Manhattan Beach, if you are looking for something to do. Manhattan Village is a nice little shopping centre and there are some restaurants there (California Pizza Kitchen, Olive Garden, Chilli's, Coco's). I have never taken the shuttle, we rent a car. This is what we always seem to end up doing on our last day in LA.

http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm...ocean-express/

I have been looking at LAX hotel prices too. They are so much more expensive on weekdays than weekends.
Thanks for the tip.

You could be right about weekday vs. weekend. They probably don't get as many business travellers through the weekend so have to cheapen the rooms.
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran
 
Travel Mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,398

We had a night and then a dayroom rate until 6pm at the Travelodge LAX at the end of your Orlando trip. The positives for us were that, unlike all other hotels at LAX, they have family rooms that can fit five. It has friendly staff, free transfers, free breakfast and a Denny's on site. We were able to easily catch the bus to the massive Westfield Culver City where we spent the rest of our U.S.$ shopping (taxied back though). However, it is a very basic hotel, probably a 2-star and I was pleased we only had one night there. Served its purpose though and was great to have the room up until 6pm.
__________________
************************************************** *************************
Walt Disney World - Sep/Oct 2011 our first WDW trip (POR) plus our Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise
Disneyland and DCA - May 2006 - our children's first Disney trip
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum
We had a night and then a dayroom rate until 6pm at the Travelodge LAX at the end of your Orlando trip. The positives for us were that, unlike all other hotels at LAX, they have family rooms that can fit five. It has friendly staff, free transfers, free breakfast and a Denny's on site. We were able to easily catch the bus to the massive Westfield Culver City where we spent the rest of our U.S.$ shopping (taxied back though). However, it is a very basic hotel, probably a 2-star and I was pleased we only had one night there. Served its purpose though and was great to have the room up until 6pm.
Cheers TravelMum. I think I will opt for the Travelodge for the dayroom. Our layover allows us about 6 hours free-time before we need to check-in for the flight home. So we'll probably mainly only use the hotel as a dumping ground for our luggage while we take the bus to Manhatten Beach for a look around and lunch. Then, we'll probably just return for a short swim and shower and then head to the airport. So in all reality, we don't need anything flash.

Have you just got back from your holiday? If so, welcome back and how was it?
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran
 
Travel Mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Have you just got back from your holiday? If so, welcome back and how was it?
Yes, we got back on Wednesday and we had a fantastic time thanks
__________________
************************************************** *************************
Walt Disney World - Sep/Oct 2011 our first WDW trip (POR) plus our Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise
Disneyland and DCA - May 2006 - our children's first Disney trip
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,472

I've booked

A thanks to everyone for your advice. I think it made me realise that I had incorrectly underestimated the price of LAX hotels - particularly during the middle of the week.

For those who are interested, I ended up booking my hotel this morning.

I went through Hotwire and booked one of those mystery hotel deals. The great thing about those mystery deals is that it's pretty easy to work out what you're going to get. All the clues hinted at the fact that the four star deal was for the Sheraton Gateway, so I wasn't surprised when I got..... The Sheraton Gateway. It looks clean and tidy and perfectly comfortable for the short time we'll be there.

I paid in NZ$ the equivalent of US$138 inc. tax. The cheapest deal available on the Sheraton website is US$202, so a reasonable savings.

I noticed, for those of you not travelling with kids, that priceline has even better deals for mystery hotels. The problem with priceline is that they only price the room for 2 adults.

I still haven't booked the dayroom yet, but will probably go with the travelodge.

So thanks again everyone
__________________

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 01-21-2013 at 04:24 PM.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
becpee
I see sock puppets
 
becpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hi from Oz!
Posts: 2,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
A thanks to everyone for your advice. I think it made me realise that I had incorrectly underestimated the price of LAX hotels - particularly during the middle of the week.

For those who are interested, I ended up booking my hotel this morning.

I went through Hotwire and booked one of those mystery hotel deals. The great thing about those mystery deals is that it's pretty easy to work out what you're going to get. All the clues hinted at the fact that the four star deal was for the Sheraton Gateway, so I wasn't surprised when I got..... The Sheraton Gateway. It looks clean and tidy and perfectly comfortable for the short time we'll be there.

I paid in NZ$ the equivalent of US$138 inc. tax. The cheapest deal available on the Sheraton website is US$202, so a reasonable savings.

I noticed, for those of you not travelling with kids, that priceline has even better deals for mystery hotels. The problem with priceline is that they only price the room for 2 adults.

I still haven't booked the dayroom yet, but will probably go with the travelodge.

So thanks again everyone
Hotwire, love it!
I've never been disappointed using it
Did you get on the betterbidding site as well?
__________________


Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.