Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #16
Angebee
Mouseketeer

Hi, my name is Ange and my overpacking problems usually stem from being terrified of flying so I have to bring my 'Linus Blanket', which, in my case, is the baby Mickey plushie I got as a kid. He takes up 2/3rds the length of a check in bag easy. It was so much fun trying to pack around him the first time that I had a crying fit thinking we'd miss our plane because I couldn't get everything in properly. Granted I was trying to also pack a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, light overjacket, shorts and jeans option for practically every single day of the trip.

This time around I'm making a check list of how many days we're there, what the weather should be like (one week out), and how often I can get away with wearing something twice (jeans & overjackets). On any normal day I'm that girl who just reaches into the closet and wears whatever I grab first but take that option away from me for a week and suddenly I'm London Tipton! Hopefully the chart will help.

Should I count the mini-pharmacy I try to bring with me due to sensitive skin and twelve-dozen allergies as 'overpacking', too?

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #17
jclos1980
Earning My Ears

Hello fellow over packers!

Just got back from a 10 day trip at Fort Wilderness in the cabins, but you could have sworn from my luggage that I had traveled the world for the past month.

My toiletries, jewelry, medications, make-up, hairbrushes, blow dryer, straightener, variety of anti-bacterials, etc all take up their own full size luggage. I had 3 pairs of sneakers and 3 pairs of sandals, 14 pairs each of all the essentials (socks, bras, underoos, plain white tank tops for sleeping). Had 4 sweatshirts, different thicknesses, 2 pairs jeans, 2 pairs capris,1 pair black slacks, 7 pairs shorts, 15 tee shirts, 3 long sleeve shirts, 3 pairs sweatpants/warm up type athletic pants, 2 bathing suits, 1 cover-up, 3 pairs sunglasses and 1 hat.

But I used almost everything just to prove to my husband that I needed all of it. Also if I listed everything that comes under the heading of "toiletries" you would know why it needs it's own luggage. I also bring my own sheet set for use in hotels that we hit on the ride down and pillows with 2 sets of cases, for use in the car and when in the hotel.

There is also a variety of things I take for the car, completely separate from everything listed above. This is an inherited trait from my mother, she taught me well. After our last vacation together, my father and my husband wanted to sit us down for an intervention.
jclos1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #18
catra121
DIS Veteran

Oh...I always seem to over pack...even when I think I am cutting way back...lol!

Considering a solo trip in April and thinking of doing something totally unheard of and packing toiletries, undies, and 2 pairs of jeans...buying the rest of my clothes there. Could be fun...could be a disaster. I'll think of it as an adventure for a self-confessed overpacker.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
T. Baker
Earning My Ears

I really need to join this group. In December my husband said I was packing way too much stuff. I thought it over and decided to lighten the load. Well, I took out 2 pairs of his shorts and 3 of his short sleeve shirts while doing this.

We had 80 degree weather all week and he only had 2 pairs of shorts and 3 short sleeve shirts for 8 days. I don't believe he will comment about how much stuff I have packed again. He was cured when he was hot and having to roll us his long sleeves. This is why I bought him a Grumpy shirt because he was being grumpy about being hot and he needed short sleeves!!!!
T. Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #20
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Hello, my name is Denise and I am an overpacker.

But even more distressing..I am an EARLY packer.

I have already started putting things aside for July in a over the door shoe holder ( larger items are on one shelf in the closet ) .

This is a disease. I need help. Last month my college age DD was doing " homework" while we were watching Top Chef. ( this is another addiction of mine...the Bravo channel ). I glanced at her " homework" and it was a Disney packing list.

Apparently overpacking and early packing are contagious.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Denise View Post
Hello, my name is Denise and I am an overpacker.

But even more distressing..I am an EARLY packer.

I have already started putting things aside for July in a over the door shoe holder ( larger items are on one shelf in the closet ) .

This is a disease. I need help. Last month my college age DD was doing " homework" while we were watching Top Chef. ( this is another addiction of mine...the Bravo channel ). I glanced at her " homework" and it was a Disney packing list.

Apparently overpacking and early packing are contagious.
hi Denise!

I love this post.
me and dd have already started packing for August!
in fact we both have our carryons ready to go,and 2 cases ready to rock.
if we could drive,we most definitely would,but a bit difficult as we're in the UK.

before Christmas dh and I had one night away,in fact we left at 3pm and returned home at 11.30am,so not even 24 hours.
I packed a full size suitcase,and a carry on size holdall,and a very large handbag.it's always best to be prepared!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
wencherous
Mouseketeer

I think this is the place for me.....Hi, I'm Wench and I'm an over-packer.

We usually fly, last trip was OS for three weeks. I spent hundreds of dollars shipping boxes of stuff to our destination and still had two large, full, suitcases and three carry on bags for myself, DH, and baby DS.

Granted that we sent some Christmas gifts ahead, and formula for baby, but other than that, I don't know why we had so much.
We were staying with my parents, they have a washer/dryer and there are even stores in the town they live in.

I packed all our stuff in individual ziplock bags of various size. When we came home there were 5 bags of clothes that had never been opened.
wencherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
hi Denise!

I love this post.
me and dd have already started packing for August!
in fact we both have our carryons ready to go,and 2 cases ready to rock.
if we could drive,we most definitely would,but a bit difficult as we're in the UK.

before Christmas dh and I had one night away,in fact we left at 3pm and returned home at 11.30am,so not even 24 hours.
I packed a full size suitcase,and a carry on size holdall,and a very large handbag.it's always best to be prepared!
I have another addiction...England! Even falling and breaking my arm in front of Buck Palace has not cured me. I am also addicted to Clotted Cream, London black cabs, and the the Tower crows.

I am driving to Disney as to be able to shlep my crap across many state lines.

My overpacking addiction is so bad I even offered to bring bottled water, soda, beer, any other grocery offerings to others staying at PO-Riverside during my timne frame. I guess now I have became an enabler.

I do not use half the stuff I bring ( shop vac, anyone? ) but I also find that I left something home I needed ( grey men's necktie, don't ask )
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
ArieBella
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneflame View Post
Okay, guys, the first meeting of OA will be in the basement of the Penny Arcade on Main Street this Sunday. Coffee will be provided, but it will be Nescafé. See you there!
Great! I'll make sure to pack every mug I own, some sugar, splenda, milk ( both whole and skim), half and half, spoons, stirrers, placemats, napkins, DD's karoake machine, notebooks, stenography pads, pens, pencils, and a tape recorder. Oh it might be cold with the AC, better bring a sweat shirt too. Oh but what if someone brings kids and they get restless? I'll bring the DVD player with a movie... But what if they don't want to watch what I bring? Better bring every DVD I own. And some snacks! You know what, I'm just going to start a new list because I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

ArieBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Misti315
Mouseketeer

I am also guilty if this. It doesn't help that we are a family of 6. We are finally gonna break down before our trip and buy one of those bags that go on top of the can. We are going to have sooooo much stuff!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Denise View Post
I have another addiction...England! Even falling and breaking my arm in front of Buck Palace has not cured me. I am also addicted to Clotted Cream, London black cabs, and the the Tower crows.

I am driving to Disney as to be able to shlep my crap across many state lines.

My overpacking addiction is so bad I even offered to bring bottled water, soda, beer, any other grocery offerings to others staying at PO-Riverside during my timne frame. I guess now I have became an enabler.

I do not use half the stuff I bring ( shop vac, anyone? ) but I also find that I left something home I needed ( grey men's necktie, don't ask )
you would be no good in England at the moment,as it's mainly covered in snow- quite large snowflakes falling at present here.
that's an awful thing to happen outside the palace,glad it didn't spoil your fun though.
we are at the other end of the country,in the northeast,but still have black cabs!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #27
The Wise One
Mouseketeer

Oh my I am a complete over packer! We just got back from 8 days at the POP and I loaded our Ford Explorer until we could barely close the back hatch. I blame unpredictable Disney weather. It's January so I packed long sleeved shirts and sweaters and ended up wearing shorts and tank tops all week. And let's not even start on how many shoes I pack...
1st WDW Trip: November 2009 - Coronado Springs
2nd: December 2011 - All Star Movies
3rd: January 6th, 2013- Pop Century Resort
First DCL: May 25th, 2013- FANTASY!
4th: June 2013 - Art of Animation
5th: November 2013 - Coronado Springs
The Wise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
disneyag
DIS Veteran

Here's a great website. www.onebag.com

June 2014 AKL June 2013 Poly
June 2011 Poly CL June 2010 Poly
June 2009 AKL CL Dec 2007 WL CL
Oct 2006 Poly June 2006 CR
June 2005 AKL Oct 2004 WL
June 2004 AKL June 2002 Poly
Sept. 2001 Poly CL June 1999 Poly
1997 BC
1992 BC
1974 Poly
disneyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
Pixie Dust Maven
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneflame View Post
Hi, my name is Neptune, and I am an overpacker.

How in the world is it possible to NOT pack my entire house for a trip? Granted, I have two little kids who each need sleeping gear and toys from home, but COME ON! I think I insist on driving just so I can pack to my heart's content.

This has been a gradual problem. Back in my carefree early 20s, I was able to pack--for both my husband and myself--for a ten day trip to California with just two carry on bags and a purse! Now, I'm looking at no fewer than 10 bags ready to load in the car, and my husband hasn't even packed yet! And he insists on bringing all of his full size toiletries and his own pillow.

I swear I have a problem and I need help! We are staying at POP and I don't even know if all of this stuff will even fit in the room with the four of us!
I am a reformed over packer for myself, DH and our DS. When our DS17 was younger, I would come up with every scenario I could possibly think of. I must have packed his whole toy chest, medicine, clothes, etc. when we used to go on vacation. We would also go for the first 10 days in December, so the weather was unpredictable. Thus leading to the over packing. Now we go in June as we can't take our DS17 out of HS, so less packing.

I have soon learned that over the years as he got older, the less stuff, I would have to take for him. I still brought a ton of clothes and shoes for him. That didn't change for me until 2007. It was like a went off that hey I really don't need to take an additional 10 outfits for everyone. Mine included the shoes and pocket book to match every outfit. So if we went on a 10 day vacation, I had 20 outfits for everyone. I know crazy and stupid. My DH used to argue with me to no avail.

I used to have 3 of our DS's favorite blanket and toy. I found out the hard way, after a very heart broken trip for him and myself when he was 4. Still to this day I can't figure out how he lost both on that trip, but after that trip I would bring two of each with us and leave one the others home.

Being organized from the start makes for a very easy transition when you have to unpack in the hotel room. Once you get the hang of it, it will be a breeze.

Hope you all have a wonderful trip.
Pixie Dust Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

I used to be an overpacker. IT was bad. Between my husband and I, for a 10 day trip we ended up taking 13 bags/suitcases (we drove, we were there for the marathon).

Utterly ridiculous.

Now, I take out everything I think I need to pack. I then immediately put half of it back in the closet. The rest of my packing list looks like this

2 more pair of underwear than days that I'm going to be there
1 pair of shorts/jeans for every 3 days
1 shirt for every day
1 bra for every 2 days.

The one thing I DO NOT skimp on is footwear. I will take twice as many pairs of socks as days we will be there (unless we're staying DVC and can do laundry), two pairs of sneakers, and 3 pairs of flip flops.

I also pack makeup that is at the end of it's shelf life, half-empty toiletries, and disposable razors.

I can pack for my husband AND I in one 21" carry-on now, with each of us taking a backpack as well for our computers, cameras, etc.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: