Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
MickeyTD
Earning My Ears

Taking advantage of your resort

How much do you believe in taking full advantage of the resort you're staying at vs. spending time at other resorts? We're staying at the contemporary in April and I have breakfast adr's at kona and grand Floridian cafe. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that going to these places just negates the convenience you have by staying at the contemporary. Anyone have thoughts on this!
MickeyTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyTD View Post
How much do you believe in taking full advantage of the resort you're staying at vs. spending time at other resorts? We're staying at the contemporary in April and I have breakfast adr's at kona and grand Floridian cafe. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that going to these places just negates the convenience you have by staying at the contemporary. Anyone have thoughts on this!
I like to eat at the restaurants in the resorts we are staying at. When we stayed at WL in July, we ate at Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Café. We used their kids club for our girls.

When we stay at Yacht Club in April, we will eat at Yachtsman Steakhouse, Cape May Café, Captains Grill, and use the Sandcastle club for the girls.

Since we want to stay at every resort, we will eventually hit every resort restaurant....not that it stopped us from going to Ohana or Chef Mickeys on previous trips, but places like Kona will wait until we stay at the Poly, or the Wave will wait until we stay at CR...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

For us, taking full advantage of our resort includes utilizing the easy access to other great resorts.

When I'm on the MK loop, I love zipping around the monorail to the other 2 resorts. Same goes for walking or boating around the Epcot area resorts.
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

i_heart_the_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I also like to take advantage of my resort. There's enough traveling to be done at WDW without traveling for average meals. It's hard enough to relax at WDW so I try to minimize my stress while there.

I actually enjoy in room dining for breakfast and order I'm at least once each vacation.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
PrincessesX3
Mouseketeer

I agree with the pp. we are staying at CR in August and love the convenience of taking the monorail to others resorts even if it's just for an hour to eat.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We spend more time at our resort than we do going to the parks, but we also enjoy eating/shopping/visiting other resorts as well. We love getting the whole Disney experience, which for us, includes enjoying other resorts as well as the one we're staying at.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It depends -- we treat the resort where we're staying like home. Our room is just our bedroom, but poolside is our living room/dining room/homework space etc. We do every park in WDW, including water parks and DTD -- so where we eat etc depends on where we are at that time. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to go all the way back to our resort for a meal, to change buses etc. So we do end up visiting other resorts and often eating there, even if it's just at their food court. But I wouldn't give up a day at my resort to tour other resorts -- being at your home resort is down time and that's needed especially if your kid has hw to do.

I also think there are many restaurants you might want to sample, even if you don't want to stay at the resort. Like you might really want to eat at Boma and still have the convenience of staying at CR if you're going to be spending most of your park days at MK.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I tend to do a mixture of both. If I was staying at CR, I'd probably try to go to any of the places I hadn't eaten yet (which happens to be all the restaurants at that resort) but I doubt I'd completely ignore the ease of access to the other monorail resorts. I guess it would depend on how my plans fell, in regard to how much time I want to spend traveling to meals.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Unless your stay will be a very brief one, I don't see why it has to be an either/or proposition. We enjoy taking full advantage of the amenities of our resort. And we always have a couple of non-park days- so at least one will be spent just at our resort. But do I want to eat all of my meals at my home resort? Why on earth would I want to do that when there are so many other places to sample? Of course we have a few of our meals at our home resort, when it is most convenient to do so. But I'm not going to forgo Tonga toast one morning of our vacation just because the breakfast platter at my home resort is more convenient.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: