Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS

Airtran seating

How can I see what seats are available for a flight before I book? I want to see what's available beforehand.
When I go on the site it has a icon to click for seating. It shows a lot of seats open. But when a flight says 4 seat left and I click the icon it also shows most of the plane is empty.
Do I need to give all my info before it lets me see the seats available and can I then just cancel out.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paults View Post
How can I see what seats are available for a flight before I book? I want to see what's available beforehand.
When I go on the site it has a icon to click for seating. It shows a lot of seats open. But when a flight says 4 seat left and I click the icon it also shows most of the plane is empty.
Do I need to give all my info before it lets me see the seats available and can I then just cancel out.
The "4 seats left" means at that price - not that there are literally 4 seats left.

Also, since many people will not pay to pre-select their seats (I *think* that Airtran is one of the ones that charges for this), even if there were only four tickets left on the flight, you might still have a wide selection of available seats to choose from. There are many people with tickets but who haven't selected seats, so the number of seats blacked out is not equal to the number of tickets sold.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

I just booked my return flight on Airtrom (southwest down but it was cheaper on airtram to return) and since I am solo (DS is flying with his aunt home for some summer vacation)...I didnt care to pick my seat...cause its just mean and who cares where I end up....although I prefer not to be in the middle...when do you eventually get your seat...when you check in?
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom View Post
I just booked my return flight on Airtrom (southwest down but it was cheaper on airtram to return) and since I am solo (DS is flying with his aunt home for some summer vacation)...I didnt care to pick my seat...cause its just mean and who cares where I end up....although I prefer not to be in the middle...when do you eventually get your seat...when you check in?
How exactly is selecting a seat in advance "mean?" That doesn't make any sense.

AirTran's website explains seat selection.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
The "4 seats left" means at that price - not that there are literally 4 seats left.

Also, since many people will not pay to pre-select their seats (I *think* that Airtran is one of the ones that charges for this), even if there were only four tickets left on the flight, you might still have a wide selection of available seats to choose from. There are many people with tickets but who haven't selected seats, so the number of seats blacked out is not equal to the number of tickets sold.
This. There isn't any way to see the actual number of seats sold on the flight, since AT doesn't require you to pre-purchase seats.

If you haven't pre-purchased seats it's a free-for-all at the 24-hour prior to flight check-in time. You can choose your seats at that time online, or wait til check-in at the airport & they will assign you whatever is left.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
How exactly is selecting a seat in advance "mean?" That doesn't make any sense.

AirTran's website explains seat selection.
I think it should read "cause its [sic] just ME ANd who cares..."
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
I think it should read "cause its [sic] just ME ANd who cares..."
That makes a lot more sense than thinking it's mean to pre-select an airline seat
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Yes I meant to type me but I was typing fast and didn't read over my message.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
MABEAN339
Earning My Ears

seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by paults View Post
When it says 4 seats left it means 4 seats at that price. They only sell a certain number of seats at any sale price. Airtran only allows you to see available seats once you book your flight.
MABEAN339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABEAN339 View Post
When it says 4 seats left it means 4 seats at that price. They only sell a certain number of seats at any sale price. Airtran only allows you to see available seats once you book your flight.
Based on what I'm seeing on their website (knowing what seats I have selected already for my upcoming trip), you can see what will be available to select from, if you choose to pay for it, by just clicking on the seat icon for the flight you are looking at.

It will show you what seats haven't been pre-selected at that moment. prices to pre-select a seat are different based on where in the plane you choose to select a seat.
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise

Dis_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: