Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #136
lodgelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace&philipsmom View Post
I buy a souvenir mug for my coffee every trip. Last trip I bought a Kidani mug and after 3 washings the painted detailing is almost completely gone - now it is pretty much just a plain brown mug.
YES! We always get at least one mug on each trip. Last year we bought a DVC Logo mug at Kidani and the decal began peeling off after the first time in the dishwasher. We also bought a One Man's Dream themed coffee mug at MGM which lasted for a few months and then the handle cracked off. What I don't get is that we still have several mugs from WDW we have had for at least 10 years. It seems to show a lack of quality is growing.

lodgelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #137
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonny View Post
Smartest thing I do on my WDW trips is not to buy souvenirs!

Last trip, I took tons of photos at the gift shops and put them in a Facebook album called "souvenirs I did not but at WDW".
Love this idea!!

We don't buy any souvenirs since we moved to FL because we are there all the time. The only exception is an annual Christmas ornament.

I'm going to have a facebook album like yours soon, though!
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #138
bellefan7757
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKWallaby View Post
A set of 4 adorable notepads that are supposed to be self-stick like post-it notes. Unfortunately they do not stick - so they fall off over everything unless you use tape. Sort of defeats the purpose of "self-stick" (and reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with George and the label maker )
Yep, I bought some "non-stick" sticky notes too! They are very cute though.
bellefan7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #139
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodgelady View Post
What I don't get is that we still have several mugs from WDW we have had for at least 10 years. It seems to show a lack of quality is growing.
We have quite a few mugs from 2002 and earlier that are in pristine shape. They are used often and have been through the dishwasher a million times. The colors are vibrant and they look new.

I think you are right that the quality is declining. Glad that was the last trip that we bought souvenirs.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #140
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Coffee mugs.

I bought the fun coffee mug with the seagulls from Nemo saying "mine, mine, mine.." They all washed off in the first washing, and I followed directions for cleaning.

My Polynesian mug is washing off too. It's lasting longer than the Nemo one, but I'm bummed it isn't holding up.

I have other Disney mugs that are still great. Depends on the design I guess.
We had the exact same problem with our Nemo seagull travel mug. My husband was SO disappointed. Hoping that we can exchange it on our next trip.

Otherwise, we've been pretty lucky. DD always picks out a princess doll and those have held up great and the Cars character cars we bought, while expensive, have not been broken by my 21-month-old. I don't really love character clothing so am seldom tempted to get a shirt, but I did purchase a Run Disney shirt that has held up well and fits true to size. Otherwise, I only get a silhouette of the kids, though we've had minor issues in the last 2 trips with those. The first time we had an issue, the artist did a terrible job but we were able to go to another and have it redone. The second time, the artist was terribly surly and didn't line up the two heads quite right in gluing them down. (Again, minor, just a little annoying.)
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #141
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

My husband seems to have the bad luck. He has a t-shirt that fell apart at the seems fairly quickly. Also, he bought a duffle bag as a "with purchase" special last year. He used the duffle as his carry on this year and the shoulder strap kept falling off. Other then that, we have been pretty happy with all our purchases.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #142
KittyyKattyy
**Mythical Beast**

Wow guys, thanks! To think this is my first topic!

KittyyKattyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #143
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

a "one size fits most" sleepshirt (it's pink with Eeyore on it for those who want to know)

I'm an average size certainly not small/ tiny but this sleepshirt is huge on me - the neck hole especially - I keep trying to figure out some way to make it smaller. Very disappointing. And yes, I've washed it and hoped it would shrink but it won't!
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #144
TCups4Me
Mouseketeer

We bought an Emperor Zurg action figure the first week of December and gave it to DS2 for Christmas. His hand (Zurg's!) fell off just a few days later. Bummer!!!

BUT - we do find the character "hot wheels" to be sturdy and a relatively good value for a souvenir.

Me DH :: DS6:: DS3::
TCups4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #145
KittyyKattyy
**Mythical Beast**

Bump

KittyyKattyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #146
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Being locals, there are so many things we have bought that come to be utter junk within no time.

And even things that are good in quality, like the castle toy. You know, the big one with the princesses that every little girl wants. Well, you can still buy it, and I think it's exactly the same, but my mom bought it for $75 and now it's $99 or more, seasonally. I think that's outrageous just a few years later. We're not talking about 20 years inflation here.

I won't be buying nearly as much stuff now with the reduction on merchandise % off for AP holders. If you're listening, Disney, we're disappointed. We can buy stuff with the same quality on ebay from China ourselves at about a 90% markdown. Not to mention the way the princesses have been revamped to look like fake versions of themselves (you know, the fake stuff you can buy at the fake Disney outlets looks better.)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #147
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyyKattyy View Post
What is one of the 'less than perfect' items you've bought at disney?

A steak at Le Cellier.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #148
sue Z
Heading to the World soon!!!

the shirts I bought and had made at the tshirt place in 2011 faded fast the ones bought in 2oo8 held up
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #149
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

I LOVED a classy black v-neck shirt with a nice WDW logo embroidered on the left that I bought at SSR (Ladies L). It looked like great quality. I wore it on that trip and decided to splurge and buy a navy blue one AND a white one before I went home.

After washing the one I wore on the trip (cold water, gentle), it could have fit a 5 year-old! It shrunk in every direction! AND it faded so much, it was hard to tell it had been black. Since I didn't know when I would get back to WDW to return the other two, I wore them and the same thing happened when I washed them. Three ruined shirts that I thought I would wear and love for a long time.

Even when it looks like good quality, the apparel at WDW is awful...
vakamalua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #150
kellzkidz
Mouseketeer

I have had hit or miss:

mickey t shirt in my picture i absolutely love and washed a million times and still looks great, but....

my "mine, mine, mine" hoodie is a small and although it fits everywhere else- the zipper is two miles too long! the front placket is way out of proportion and I have to roll up the bottom band. needless to say I can't wear it in public.

we also have monorail (both toy and die cast) and my ds plays with it non stop -like andy in toy story he pulls in all sorts of toys with that darn thing (even lego minifuigures) but ...I will say the teeny tiny microscopic characters that came with the set are ridiculous! vacuum food.

everything else has been great -including my minnie mouse mug- I almost got the mine, mine, mine mug- glad i didn't!
usually anything I get at disney store.com has been great with great customer service, but we still have to buy in the parks

kellzkidz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: