Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl
DS broke out in a rash underneath the sensor on our first 7-night cruise. So on the next one, we had them put it on his ankle instead. It worked out great there - didn't bother him at all
This is probably a silly question, but did your son have trouble tapping the band on his ankle to the sensor? I know kids are flexible, but my son is pretty short. I'm laughing just picturing it
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron
I have to admit, while the band *can* be cut off and reattached... I very much dislike the wasted time on my vacation spent waiting in the line of parents checking in kids who need bands reprinted.

Yup!
I understand, and I would be completely fine with a separate line for reattaching bands. But I'm not going to ask my kids to suffer discomfort for the majority of their cruise just to save a few moments' time.
It's not their fault the system requires uncomfortable (for them) plastic bands.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
This is probably a silly question, but did your son have trouble tapping the band on his ankle to the sensor? I know kids are flexible, but my son is pretty short. I'm laughing just picturing it
The CMs have handheld scanners so they can reach down and meet them halfway. But my DS did get a kick (literally) out of seeing how high he could lift his leg to reach the scanner

It didn't seem to be a problem for him at all though.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
honeybear66
Mouseketeer

I was really surprised that my DD was happy to wear it for the whole cruise, we only removed it the day we were at Castaway Cay.
honeybear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Just an FYI. If your younger child doesn't have serious issues with wearing it, it is highly recommended to be kept on. If your child gets lost, or there is an emergency and you have to go to the lifeboat stations and your child gets "lost in the shuffle," the bands are very useful in that they provide CMs their info ( name, stateroom number, etc.)

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
Just an FYI. If your younger child doesn't have serious issues with wearing it, it is highly recommended to be kept on. If your child gets lost, or there is an emergency and you have to go to the lifeboat stations and your child gets "lost in the shuffle," the bands are very useful in that they provide CMs their info ( name, stateroom number, etc.)
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Even the CMs will tell you it is ok to take it off and have it reattached if they return to the club as long as you keep the device. Also, remember to turn the device back in on the last night. We forgot (kids didn't use the club that night) and were charged for them. It only took a trip to guest services to turn them in and have the charges removed, but that took a little time.

Personally, I am not going to pay for beautiful formal family pictures with those bracelets in them! We remove them for that if they can't be covered.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The reason we always kept scissors with us to remove the bracelets was because I don't like how they detract from the pictures -- especially family ones. The kids' hands were not big enough to cover them completely and it just looked tacky to me. DD only went to the club when we went to Palo and she had no choice anyway.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Personally, I am not going to pay for beautiful formal family pictures with those bracelets in them! We remove them for that if they can't be covered.
We didn't notice the bracelet (see pic at left)...until it was too late. Whatever you decide, take it off before formal night pics!
Luckily, DD and her cruise friend are so pretty that nobody notices the bracelet
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
kmcford
Mouseketeer

They are kind of bulky. It drove my year old crazy. We would take it off quite often. We never needed scissors. We just undid the clip and took it off. Then we would clip it back when she was going back. We never had to reprint the bracelet either.

I did notice the bracelet on one of my daughters on formal night but decided that it is just a reminder where we were when it was taken.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl

The CMs have handheld scanners so they can reach down and meet them halfway. But my DS did get a kick (literally) out of seeing how high he could lift his leg to reach the scanner

It didn't seem to be a problem for him at all though.
I never saw the handheld scanners, but that makes sense! But still, my son would also probably insist on kicking his leg up there.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
5kwallace
Mouseketeer

My child's fell off somewhere at Orient Beach. We thought we had found it. We took it back to the Kids Club but it belonged to another. FYI, they will make you pay for it. They suggested that I cut it off whenever we leave the ship on an excursion. I do not know if the rough waves at Orient Beach was a contributing factor or not - but 2 bracelets were lost there.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
daisydog2
Earning My Ears

After reading all the posts here, we had them put it on my sons ankle. Didn;t bother him one bit. Even in he formal pictures we took, they never got our feet, so it never showed up. And yes he had a blast kicking his foot up to the scanner. I had a feeling that the CM'S weren't too excited about it, but it saved a lot of headaches from whinning about it on his wrist...
daisydog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
DD got lost in the shuffle and one of the CMs called the Kids Club to have her band tracked on the ship. We found her before they did, but it was nice to know they can do that.
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom View Post
DD got lost in the shuffle and one of the CMs called the Kids Club to have her band tracked on the ship. We found her before they did, but it was nice to know they can do that.
My DD8 got scared when I peeked out of the theater to see if her mom was coming and managed to leave the theater through another door. She went to a CM and they took her to the club and called my wave phone using the info from the band. So I would encourage your children to keep them on. I didn't realize they took the kids to the club because I looked back in the theater after a minute of being up from my seat and she was gone. I thought for a second I had the wrong row but she wasn't there. Then I looked all over and couldn't find her. Thankfully the CM called maybe a minute later. We were back before my wife showed up

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: