Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #106
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelinus View Post
At your kids' ages, they can just be carried through the turnstiles - see more info here:

http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller...ndon-transport
Perfect, thanks. You guys are all so awesome
lilpooh108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #107
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Thanks

This hotel was highly rated on Trip Advisor and theyare also off the beaten path
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

The reviews for the service are very good. Could this have been where you stayed ?
Alright, you piqued my curiosity! My curiosity about where I stayed. None of my photos included the hotel. In my daily email journal home (2010, remember), I just said "the hotel." Google maps of the area did not initially help. I did remember that direction we walked from the train station to the hotel. I also remembered the direction we walked from the hotel to the metro, but I could not remember the metro station. Then I found a journal entry that we went to view the tallest obelisk in Rome, located in Piazza di San Giovanni, JUST PAST OUR SUBWAY STOP!!! So by triangulating the San Giovanni subway station with the train station and the rough area of our hotel on google maps, I found it! We stayed at Hotel Eurostars Roma Aeterna. Great hotel.

And now I found the pizza place nearby! Holy Mackerel! This pizza place was awesome. We got there about 5:30 one evening. The whole inside and outside was empty. Not one patron. About 120 empty seats. We asked for a table; when the waiter said he would talk with the manager, I laughed out loud, thinking it was a joke. It wasn't. They discussed and pondered for a couple minutes, then decided we could have two seats at an outside table far at the end. A few minutes later, they turned away another couple. Fifteen minutes later, there were over 100 people dining. No group more than six people. Completely off the beaten path, not a tourist destination in sight, not in any guidebooks. This place is the real deal locals' favorite pizzeria, and we stumbled on it by accident. Here it is: Pizzeria Fiaschetteria Al grottino. Located at Via Orvieto 6.

Also, if you were to walk the 1 to 2 miles from the train station to the hotel, roughly following a trolley line, and ducking under a highway, you would see a bakery with no name and the wall covered with graffiti. You should really grab a pastry from here.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #108
Four Swampers

Rats! I just discovered that the Uffizi Museum and the Academia (which houses Michelangelo's "David") are closed on Mondays! And the Greek Isles DCL cruise ports at La Spezia on Monday! Rats.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #109
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Rats! I just discovered that the Uffizi Museum and the Academia (which houses Michelangelo's "David") are closed on Mondays! And the Greek Isles DCL cruise ports at La Spezia on Monday! Rats.
I don't know the exact dates, but alot of the excursions have date restrictions due to local holidays, etc.
lilpooh108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #110
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #111
Stitchie13
Earning My Ears

This is a great thread I don't have tips of my own as I am a first time cruiser to the Med but I shall follow along
Stitchie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #112
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

If you are doing a pre or post cruise stay in Barcelona and you are Soccer fans or players, make time to tour Camp Nou the home of the FC Barcelona team.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club

My DH as well as my 3 DDs all love and play soccer and it was one of the highlights of our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona. The Camp Nou Experience is very interactive, interesting and fun. The official store carried some cool and very unique items.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #113
LisaHK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
If you are doing a pre or post cruise stay in Barcelona and you are Soccer fans or players, make time to tour Camp Nou the home of the FC Barcelona team.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club

My DH as well as my 3 DDs all love and play soccer and it was one of the highlights of our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona. The Camp Nou Experience is very interactive, interesting and fun. The official store carried some cool and very unique items.
My husband and three boys are really looking forward to visiting Camp Nou.
Disneyland Paris - 1992 (opening week), 93,94,97,98,01,02,05,06,07,08,10,11 & 12
WDW- 2001.
DCL (Magic) - August 2013, Dover to Barcelona August 2015
LisaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #114
LisaHK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
At your kids' ages, they can just be carried through the turnstiles - see more info here:

http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller...ndon-transport
There is nearly always a wider turnstile gate either on the far right or left which is for use by people with luggage or travelling with children and/or strollers.
Disneyland Paris - 1992 (opening week), 93,94,97,98,01,02,05,06,07,08,10,11 & 12
WDW- 2001.
DCL (Magic) - August 2013, Dover to Barcelona August 2015
LisaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #115
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Here are a couple of links that helped me out in planning.

Capri Hydrofoils and Ferrys: http://www.mediterranean-cruise-port...pri-ferry.html

Barcelona with kids: http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo.../barcelona.htm

Hope this helps someone!

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California: July 2012
DL Paris: June 2014
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #116
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky View Post

Capri Hydrofoils and Ferrys: http://www.mediterranean-cruise-port...pri-ferry.html

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks!! We plan to spend a few days in Barcelona ahead of our cruise. The Travel with Kids link gave us some great ideas!
WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #117
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alright, you piqued my curiosity! My curiosity about where I stayed. None of my photos included the hotel. In my daily email journal home (2010, remember), I just said "the hotel." Google maps of the area did not initially help. I did remember that direction we walked from the train station to the hotel. I also remembered the direction we walked from the hotel to the metro, but I could not remember the metro station. Then I found a journal entry that we went to view the tallest obelisk in Rome, located in Piazza di San Giovanni, JUST PAST OUR SUBWAY STOP!!! So by triangulating the San Giovanni subway station with the train station and the rough area of our hotel on google maps, I found it! We stayed at Hotel Eurostars Roma Aeterna. Great hotel.

And now I found the pizza place nearby! Holy Mackerel! This pizza place was awesome. We got there about 5:30 one evening. The whole inside and outside was empty. Not one patron. About 120 empty seats. We asked for a table; when the waiter said he would talk with the manager, I laughed out loud, thinking it was a joke. It wasn't. They discussed and pondered for a couple minutes, then decided we could have two seats at an outside table far at the end. A few minutes later, they turned away another couple. Fifteen minutes later, there were over 100 people dining. No group more than six people. Completely off the beaten path, not a tourist destination in sight, not in any guidebooks. This place is the real deal locals' favorite pizzeria, and we stumbled on it by accident. Here it is: Pizzeria Fiaschetteria Al grottino. Located at Via Orvieto 6.

Also, if you were to walk the 1 to 2 miles from the train station to the hotel, roughly following a trolley line, and ducking under a highway, you would see a bakery with no name and the wall covered with graffiti. You should really grab a pastry from here.
Impressive detective work
Funny thing is that I usually don't have a problem coming up with the name of a hotel I stayed at (credit card history or email reservation confirmation are what I usually use to backtrack). It is the restaurant names that I have a hard time with
We think we'll remember the name of a restaurant and we almost never do. I have taken to taking a picture of something about the restaurant when I really like it and want to be able to recommend it to people.

Gotta save your info for future reference

Have to say I am something of a pizza snob having been born and raised in Long Island New York. People have warned me that the pizza in Italy is different from what I am used to. Something about Italians using fresh mozzarella instead of the dried mozzarella that we use and that making it necessary to use a fork and knife to eat it.
How did the pizza compare for you ?

Quote:
Oh I hear you
We have a similar problem on our cruise. We will have problems visiting the vatican in Rome and the co-cathedral in Malta because we arrive on Sundays.
I just console myself with the fact that it leaves us more time for others sites and also requires a trip back to catch what we missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky View Post

Hope this helps someone!
Cool
Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #118
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Impressive detective work
Funny thing is that I usually don't have a problem coming up with the name of a hotel I stayed at (credit card history or email reservation confirmation are what I usually use to backtrack). It is the restaurant names that I have a hard time with
We think we'll remember the name of a restaurant and we almost never do. I have taken to taking a picture of something about the restaurant when I really like it and want to be able to recommend it to people.

Gotta save your info for future reference

Have to say I am something of a pizza snob having been born and raised in Long Island New York. People have warned me that the pizza in Italy is different from what I am used to. Something about Italians using fresh mozzarella instead of the dried mozzarella that we use and that making it necessary to use a fork and knife to eat it.

Oh I hear you
We have a similar problem on our cruise. We will have problems visiting the vatican in Rome and the co-cathedral in Malta because we arrive on Sundays.
I just console myself with the fact that it leaves us more time for others sites and also requires a trip back to catch what we missed

Cool
Thanks
I know what you mean. I once had pizza in Naples and thought it was awful. The sauce was very thin, like tomato soup, which made the crust all wet & mushy. There was very little cheese on it too. What a disappointment.
Maybe pizza was created in Naples, but we perfected it for sure!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #119
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Hi Laurie!!!!
I can tell you that Italian pizza is nothing like New York pizza . . . it is virtually never cut into slices, you eat it with a fork and knife. The crust is very, very thin, and the sauce is runny. There is less cheese on it than a New York slice. That all being said, I like it - it's just different. If you have ever been to Eataly in Chelsea in NYC, they have very authentic Italian pizza there, as does another place in Hell's Kitchen, Don Antonio (the only other one of those is in Naples).

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #120
Four Swampers

Quote:
Hi Laurie!!!!
I can tell you that Italian pizza is nothing like New York pizza . . . it is virtually never cut into slices, you eat it with a fork and knife. The crust is very, very thin, and the sauce is runny. There is less cheese on it than a New York slice. That all being said, I like it - it's just different. If you have ever been to Eataly in Chelsea in NYC, they have very authentic Italian pizza there, as does another place in Hell's Kitchen, Don Antonio (the only other one of those is in Naples).
I agree with this! If you must have pizza a certain way, then you may not like pizza in Italy. If you approach it from a standpoint of trying new flavors and textures, you may well like it. I liked it, but I like pretty much any pizza.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: