Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Day 6: Day at Sea, and pins part 2

As we were without kids we did a lot more adult type stuff than we normally had before and one of the things we chose to do was New World Wine Tasting. This was white wines. They had a guy from Palo there to present the wines and takes us through how to taste and evaluate the wines. It ended up being 4 different wines, and 1 sparkling wine. The cost was $15.

Here are our wine glasses filled...er....filled up?

DW getting ready to taste

Aw, aren't we cute.

Overall I would have to say this was not worth the cost. The total amount of wine wasn't even a full glass…not that I need to get hammered at something like that…but for $15, you would figure you would get at least a couple glasses of wine worth. We thought maybe all of these types of things were like this…but would find out later that it wasn't the case.

The guy from Palo did a nice job…it just felt kind of chinsey. I don't think that is even a word…but I've made up words before and see no reason to stop now! Adding insult to injury I only liked two of the wines…so that made it worse. However, we did get a free pin which we then traded for pins our kids would like…so that worked out well. But I have to say on the new world white wine tasting I would not waste my time. We did not do the red wines so I don't know if it is the same amount of wine. I know quite a few of you DISers did do it….so maybe you can weigh in here?

After that it was time to head to the pool. No kids…so we wanted to be at the adult pool but there was not any room. This was an issue this whole cruise…partly because of the number of adults, and partly because people reserve their chair with towels and just go elsewhere. I know at one point I walked by 3-4 times over a couple of hours an the same chairs never had any rear ends in the seat even though they had stuff and/or towels laid out. Kind of annoying, but it is what it is. We headed up to deck 10 and found some empty seats. I'm not a huge sit in the sun guy anyway, so I was in the shade curled up with my book. Now *that* is my idea of relaxation. Lose yourself in a book….nice! DW spends her time chasing the sun.

Tonight was Formal night, and before that was the Captains Reception. Before we went out we tried pictures with our timer again. At this point I was stacking stuff on top of stuff and putting my camera on that. I believe in this one the camera was stacked on top of 4 lifejackets. Hey, it works!

Yup, I clean up well. If only DW didn't look so dang good thus making me look so darn bad! You're hot stuff Babycakes!

We brought our camera along and took a few pictures…or rather had some other guests take pictures.

****tip****
If you don't want to spend a bunch at Shutters, go to the pictures spots with a friend or make friends with people in line so that you can take their picture and vice versa. That way you can get all the cool pictures without paying the shutters prices. Since we are solo on this cruise and there weren't any of our DIS friends there we made friends with the folks around us to get the pictures.

HOWEVER, if there is a Disney employee with the photographer you can get them to take the picture. This is typically when there is a character involved. You can tell by the name tag. Although the Shutters folks have a similarly shaped name tag it does not say Disney on it…those folks will not take a picture of you with your camera, only the ones that work for the company.

With the tree on Deck 3

With Goofy. We had a good laugh that it looks like Deanna has giant whiskers because of Goofy's!

DW overlooking the atrium

Dinner was at Tritons, DW had Crispy Ravioli (I think I had this too and it was yummy), Broccoli & Blue Cheese soup (also very good, note above I complained about the food, but the soups on this cruise were fabulous. I don't think I had a bad soup the whole time, including an avocado soup at lunchtime of, I think, Panama Canal day. I actually had two servings of that. Yum!!!), and Turkey Dinner (I did not have that. If I am thinking of the right day I had Escargot. But that might have been the first tritons day. See what happens when DW doesn't write down what I ha to eat?? What kind of journaling is that???).

Here is our group at dinner. Good looking group!

Tonight was Golden Mickey's…but we have both seen that many times so we opted to go to see Lincoln in the Buena Vista Theater instead. Good call. That was a terrific movie which we both really enjoyed. The actor that portrayed Lincoln did a terrific job, and of course it was about a very interesting time in our country's history. Definitely a must see, and I assume it will win some awards

It's late again…quick snap of the towel animal (and formal shirt) and off to bed for us.

cool stuff!

Mr. rabbit just hanging out

Thanks for sticking with me!

Next up: Day 7 day at sea…again?
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: