Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #121
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney

Great! Than you'll show us your photos, right???
Ok...I will give it a shot this weekend!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #122
pillow
DIS Veteran

Cruising cheap(er)

I wish you had rebooked onboard too. But after 5 cruises, I've finally figured out how to cruise cheaper. Do you have Kroger where you live?

Step 1 - Buy Disney gift cards when Kroger offers their 4x fuel promotion. If you pump the max they allow (35 gallons - yes I take gas cans for the excess), then it works out to a 14% discount on the gift cards (15% if your credit card gives 1% back).

Step 2 - pay down your cruise with the gift cards, BUT don't pay it off completely.

Step 3 - Transfer your reservation to Costco (you must have a balance left in order to do this). Costco's cash back works out to between 8-10% of the cruise fare.

Good luck! Maybe it won't take as long as you think to get back onboard. I thoroughly enjoyed your report. Very well done!!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #123
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I wish you had rebooked onboard too. But after 5 cruises, I've finally figured out how to cruise cheaper. Do you have Kroger where you live?

Step 1 - Buy Disney gift cards when Kroger offers their 4x fuel promotion. If you pump the max they allow (35 gallons - yes I take gas cans for the excess), then it works out to a 14% discount on the gift cards (15% if your credit card gives 1% back).

Step 2 - pay down your cruise with the gift cards, BUT don't pay it off completely.

Step 3 - Transfer your reservation to Costco (you must have a balance left in order to do this). Costco's cash back works out to between 8-10% of the cruise fare.

Good luck! Maybe it won't take as long as you think to get back onboard. I thoroughly enjoyed your report. Very well done!!

Jodie
Wow!!! That's some smart shopping!!! I'm going to start buying Disney gift cards to for spending money on my upcoming trip. I had enough in gift cards/on board credit/Disney reward money that I didn't have a bill waiting for me when I got home from the trip!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #124
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Quote:

Jodie
OMG, Jodie - you win the prize for working around the system! A lot of thought has gone into that!

We don't have Krogers anymore here, but Price Chopper offers something similar I believe. I'll have to check it out!
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #125
indyxray5
Earning My Ears

Really enjoyed reading your report and looking at all your pics!! You have given me some great tips and I am super excited, 1 week countdown until we leave Indiana
indyxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #126
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
OMG, Jodie - you win the prize for working around the system! A lot of thought has gone into that!

We don't have Krogers anymore here, but Price Chopper offers something similar I believe. I'll have to check it out!
Thanks to the Disboards! I read it all here. I have to admit that I feel a little loony going to the trouble. But I do like saving the $$$ . . .

My Coscto cash card came in the mail today.

You can also buy Disney gift cards at Target. With the Target red card, you always get 5% off. Then if you fill 5 prescriptions, you get an additional 5% coupon good for one day. You can put them together and save almost 10% on your gift cards. Problem is that the highest demonimation is $50, so you have to buy LOTS of gift cards. The Kroger fuel promo gives a better discount + they sell gift cards that you can load with any amount which makes it a little less cumbersome.

Jodie
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #127
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Thanks to the Disboards! I read it all here. I have to admit that I feel a little loony going to the trouble. But I do like saving the $$$ . . .

My Coscto cash card came in the mail today.

You can also buy Disney gift cards at Target. With the Target red card, you always get 5% off. Then if you fill 5 prescriptions, you get an additional 5% coupon good for one day. You can put them together and save almost 10% on your gift cards. Problem is that the highest demonimation is $50, so you have to buy LOTS of gift cards. The Kroger fuel promo gives a better discount + they sell gift cards that you can load with any amount which makes it a little less cumbersome.

Jodie

Hey, where's your TR???
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #128
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post

Hey, where's your TR???
Ummm . . . . . . .
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #129
OSUBuckly
Mouseketeer

30 years?!? When did you guys get married...in middle school?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, where did you find a deal for the La Quinta for your night-before stay? Their website lists $94 for my dates and I wondering if I could find a better rate out there.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #130
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBuckly View Post
30 years?!? When did you guys get married...in middle school?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, where did you find a deal for the La Quinta for your night-before stay? Their website lists $94 for my dates and I wondering if I could find a better rate out there.
Got married in my third (her second) year of college after dating through high school - so you were close!

We looked at a number of different hotels that offered breakfast, shuttle service and parking in their lots. The Comfort Inn came highly recommended on these boards, but I thought I'd look at the less highlighted LaQuinta (Cocoa Beach). I called the place directly, and he gave us price of $98 with the shuttle and parking - if you are driving, it's a great deal. The rooms were HUGE, the grounds well kept. If we had more time there it would have been fun to run across the street to the beach, but we were busy loading up from our daughters move and our cruise the next day.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #131
Mickdeb
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the great trip report and for completing it, I have been reading trip reports for our first cruise in April and so many folks leave you hanging on for months and ultimately never finish them. Your report was very informative with wonderful pictures and I loved your helpful tips at the end. Happy Anniversary to you and your bride.

Mickdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #132
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickdeb View Post
Thank you for the great trip report and for completing it, I have been reading trip reports for our first cruise in April and so many folks leave you hanging on for months and ultimately never finish them. Your report was very informative with wonderful pictures and I loved your helpful tips at the end. Happy Anniversary to you and your bride.
Thanks! I had to schedule time every day to work on it, or it would never get done. DW is busy making her Shutterfly book, and it's interesting seeing what photos each of us choose! Good to have this monkey done!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #133
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

Really enjoyed your report! Also enjoyed the great pictures.....Happy Wife=Happy Life!
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #134
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed your TR and tips, thanks for sharing! The last day is definitely the worst, like you said wondering who will be sleeping in your room that night. I also find driving away from the ship is very hard! I like the shirts you both bought in the shops! Happy Anniversary!

Cheryl726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #135
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBelle99 View Post
Really enjoyed your report! Also enjoyed the great pictures.....Happy Wife=Happy Life!
...if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: