Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
WDWDeb
Cue the DCL horn!

can you still watch the fireworks from the Contemporary roof?

Can people still access the outside roof area of the Contemporary to view the fireworks? It has been a while but there use to be doors allowing access to the roof from floor 15 near the entrance to The California Grill.
WDWDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

When are you going? Not sure that they will allow access to this once the refurb work starts on Cali Grill and the roof.

If it is open, you need to be a guest dining at Cali Grill to view from that observation deck. Otherwise, you could use the 4th floor observation deck.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
WDWDeb
Cue the DCL horn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
When are you going? Not sure that they will allow access to this once the refurb work starts on Cali Grill and the roof.

If it is open, you need to be a guest dining at Cali Grill to view from that observation deck. Otherwise, you could use the 4th floor observation deck.
We will be there next week.
So if the refurb work hasn't begun, do you still have to be a guest dining at Ca. Grill to get access?
WDWDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWDeb View Post
We will be there next week.
So if the refurb work hasn't begun, do you still have to be a guest dining at Ca. Grill to get access?
Yes. The elevators are controlled by CMs and the only way to gain access to the elevator is to have a confirmed reservation to dine there. If there is room in the bar, they will allow guests up to the bar area which would then allow you to view fireworks from the platform but there's never any room close to fireworks time.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

Please no flames. What i am about to say I never thought of as wrong untill i started reading this. In the Mid to late 90s my sister and I would take the elevator to one of the higher floors, then go to one of the four corners and there would be a door (I don't remeber if there was any sinage on these doors) outside of the door were stairs, enclosed but outside of the building. you could then take those stairs to the roof and get an excellent view of almost everything depending on the corner you went up. We did this in broad daylight (never thought about doing it for fireworks) to look at MK or see what we could see in other directions.

Were we someplace we should not have been?
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
Please no flames. What i am about to say I never thought of as wrong untill i started reading this. In the Mid to late 90s my sister and I would take the elevator to one of the higher floors, then go to one of the four corners and there would be a door (I don't remeber if there was any sinage on these doors) outside of the door were stairs, enclosed but outside of the building. you could then take those stairs to the roof and get an excellent view of almost everything depending on the corner you went up. We did this in broad daylight (never thought about doing it for fireworks) to look at MK or see what we could see in other directions.

Were we someplace we should not have been?
Don't do this now! The doors that exit the tower builidng from the room floors now lock when they're closed. You'll have a long walk down to the 4th floor concourse.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: