Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #106
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Thought of another one. I bought a pink mickey keychain made of some sort of hard plastic- broke off within a couple months of use. However, I have one from 2009 that is still going strong- it's one of the heavier metal ones.

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #107
SShaikh
Earning My Ears

We made shirts at the Hanes store in DTD. One was okay, one faded a little bit after the first wash and the third one faded completely after the first wash. I tried calling them and they wanted me to email them a picture which I never bothered doing.
Also bought 2 Mickey Mouse hooded towels which came apart at the ears.
SShaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #108
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

I don't know if this counts, but when I was there I got a Goofy hat that was a cap with a plasticy/doll like head piece and it gave me headaches so I couldn't wear it long.

I also got an umbrella from the China pavilion at Epcot and apparently at the time I had said to my best friend "Well since everything at Disney is probably made in China anyhow, this should be the most authentic." I didn't realize I was quite so snarky then hehe, but that umbrella doesn't open well and never did haha. I still have it though!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #109
mamamary
DIS Veteran

I bought an ankle bracelet but when I got home I realized it was for a child. I was able to fit it on my wrist but after a few days the color had totally turned. It wasn't expensive but it was not wearable anymore.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #110
Jrits
Mouseketeer

Every toy I have bought, and I have bought a lot, has broken and my kids are not rough on toys. We had them replaced and they broke again in the same way each time.
Jrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #111
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

First I'll admit that I haven't read every reply to this post, but I wanted to add one thing -- might have already been mentioned.
We've been going to Disney since 1982 (me as an adult, purchasing things, not as a child tagging along!!) and the quality of the shirts, sweatshirts, etc. has gone downhill considerably.
They aren't as "heavy", don't wear as well, and lose their shape more quickly. I have OLD sweatshirts and even a few t-shirts that are far and above better now than the new things bought in the last couple years.
And we don't look for cheapie things. We buy the more expensive shirts and jackets --- looking a long time before making a choice. So we aren't trying to get more for less $.
I checked the labels and the earlier stuff was, seriously, MADE IN THE USA, and I think it's one of the corners Disney has cut that is a big mistake.
I love Disney and buy a shirt or something similar on a regular basis, so I have experience with this.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #112
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Mickey Head Ice Cube Tray - it doesn't bend or flex without damaging or breaking the plastic so there's no way to get the ice cubes out of the tray.

As for other items that are just junk I can't explain why I purchase it.. the Cone Cup from Cars Land at DCA. It's just a drink cup that looks like a traffic cone with a handle. No idea why that seemed like a neat thing to buy but after finishing the coke within it became a big clunky item to carry all day and a nightmare to fit into my luggage.. and for what purpose? To show people at home by big clunky cup shaped like a traffic cone?
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #113
cyros
Mouseketeer

I totally forgot we bought one of those clip on mickey fans for our stroller on our first trip! What a piece of junk. It seriously has NO power. I can turn it on right in front of my face and there isn't the slightest breeze. I tried different batteries but it made no difference.
cyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #114
ollyg
Mouseketeer

A backpack, straps broke.

DH Me DD (8)
2009 WL---2010/2011 POP
September 2012 AOA
September 2013 POR
September 2014 POR
ollyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #115
megaron1
Earning My Ears

keychains and charms

I bought a black pressed-foam Mickey head keychain (they come in lots of colors and designs) and the head fell off somewhere the first time I used it. It was only a few dollars, but I loved it and was very sad I lost it. Also, my daughter had some 3D princess charms on her bracelet and I guess maybe they were too heavy because they broke off and were lost as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #116
megaron1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
Mickey Head Ice Cube Tray - it doesn't bend or flex without damaging or breaking the plastic so there's no way to get the ice cubes out of the tray.

As for other items that are just junk I can't explain why I purchase it.. the Cone Cup from Cars Land at DCA. It's just a drink cup that looks like a traffic cone with a handle. No idea why that seemed like a neat thing to buy but after finishing the coke within it became a big clunky item to carry all day and a nightmare to fit into my luggage.. and for what purpose? To show people at home by big clunky cup shaped like a traffic cone?
I forgot about the ice cube tray! The first time we made ice in and twisted it to get the ice out, it broke into 3 pieces! The plastic was too hard and stiff.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #117
wijkowski
999 miles from the magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18sprint View Post
At the World of Disney, I bought a Haunted Mansion figurine...The one with the front gates, lights on top, with the 3 hitchhiking ghosts. Required batteries for the lights, cool purple. Got it home, didn't work. Took apart looking for obvious broken wires, no luck. Still like it, but wish the little lights worked.
I have this same piece. Mine does work and the lights are a purple color that flicker. The effect looks great. It is a shame the one you have is defective. They were expensive, in the $75.00 range I believe.

Ron
1999 Off Site, 2000 Off Site, 2002 Off Site, 2004 Off Site, 2005 Port Orleans/French Quarter, 2006 Disneyland, 2007 Boardwalk (One Bedroom Villa), 2008 All Star Music, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Port Orleans/Riverside, 2011 Polynesian, 2013 Coronado Springs, 2014 All Star Music, 2016 Animal Kingdom/Art of Animation

wijkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #118
wijkowski

I have about (10) mens polo shirts (the ones with the small mickey on the left front side) and the buttons came off (8) of them. The collars have started to "pill" much too early as well.

I keep saying I will no longer buy them, but they make them in new colors that draw me in.

Ron
1999 Off Site, 2000 Off Site, 2002 Off Site, 2004 Off Site, 2005 Port Orleans/French Quarter, 2006 Disneyland, 2007 Boardwalk (One Bedroom Villa), 2008 All Star Music, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Port Orleans/Riverside, 2011 Polynesian, 2013 Coronado Springs, 2014 All Star Music, 2016 Animal Kingdom/Art of Animation

Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #119
wijkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie94gigem View Post
Was it the one with characters sitting on each others shoulders? Does not work as a back scratcher but my little ones think it works great at a head bopper to their brothers.....
We have this exact one, does not work. The "scratching edge" is rounded off, so there is no edge to scratch!

Ron

Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #120
PatchPixie
Mouseketeer

We bought RC cars for our girls one Christmas, a Finn McMissile and a Mater. The screws on Finn's battery compartment were so tight that when we finally got it opened, the holes were stripped. Plus, they both run on the same frequency, so only one child can play at a time.

I also bought some necklaces for them that had an initial with a little Mickey head. They are tarnished beyond wear already. I'll know better to only buy sterling/gold next time.

And, the Rapunzel wig/hairpiece needed altered as it was incredibly small and uncomfortable. I had to add elastic for my daughter's head (she was only 6 and not big-headed!)

Still can't resist Disney Store, though! he he I <3 my Mickey travel mug to no end - use it every day!!

Always missing the mouse...
Several childhood trips
Saratoga Springs: December 2007
Wilderness Lodge: December 2011
Dolphin/AoA LM: October 2012
Planning for December 2014!!

PatchPixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: