Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
STLnative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyanchor View Post

Liberty Tree Tavern - I thought it might be nice to just stay in the park, and the atmosphere looks cool here!
1900 Park Fare - we're doing Crystal Palace for breakfast that day, so I don't know about another buffet for dinner?
Grand Floridian Cafe - the Citricos and Narcoossee's menus didn't appeal to me but this still looks nice for a more casual restaurant
Artist Point - menu looks amazing
Kona Cafe - have heard nothing but good things

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
If I were in your shoes, I would either go with Kona or Artist Point, depending if you want something a little more casual or a little nicer. I really enjoyed Kona, especially the appetizer wings and the teriyaki NY strip.

I've heard the lunch menu at LTT is really good, but the family-style dinner isn't as well liked. I would definitely go with Kona over GFC, and I personally am not a buffet fan, so that would rule out 1900PF for me.
STLnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyrose View Post
i'd do citricos or artist point for a birthday dinner.
+1
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Even though it has signature status, Artist Point is, in my opinion, the most underrated restaurant (and best kept secret) in Disney World.

Over the past year, I've eaten there on two seperate deluxe dining trips (where we ate at a different signature almost every night) and when factoring in the combined experience from both trips, it scored the highest overall.

On both visits, food and service were outstanding and the atmosphere was very relaxing. It's probably the least popular signature at WDW, which is sort of a mystery to me given the attractiveness of the WL and its proximity to MK.

But it's lack of popularity is a lot of the reason I recommend it so highly. Makes for a more relaxed experience and, because it's less popular, I think the restaurant tries harder.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok DISers, I need your expert advice! I am trying to decide which restaurant to eat at for my bday dinner in Feb. We will be at the MK that day. Originally I was thinking we'd just leave around 8 or 9 and then have a late dinner back at Boatwright's (we're staying at POR). But MK has EMH til 11:00 that night, so I think I'd rather stay and enjoy some last-minute rides, and maybe have an earlier dinner either at MK or at one of the resorts in the area.
For sake of time, going to the GF or CR are probably your best bets if you are leaving the MK but want to go back. Boat to GFand monorial back, or walk to CR.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not interested in V&A, at least not for this night. The five that I have listed are the ones that I have narrowed it down to. But thank you for your input. I think that I am leaning toward Artist Point (for the food) or LTT (for both the food and the accessibility) right now, but I'm still considering the others. I am surprised that there isn't more love for Kona Cafe! I've always heard such good things about it.
Well, let me share the love then! We love love love Kona! Dinner is excellent.
And we also really love LTT. Its very laid back and decor is cool.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Kona Cafe is awesome for us, but it is quite casual. I don't know that I'd leave MK to do this, only to go right back for EMH. I think Kona is the best place in all of WDW for breakfast, though. The Tonga Toast is incredibly tasty. If you can grab breakfast there, I highly recommend it.

For the same travel reason, I would cross off Artist Point. It is one of the "dressier places" in the MK area, and has really good food. It may be a bit "stuffy" for a birthday dinner, though. If you want the opposite of "stuffy", and still get good food, Whispering Canyon might be fun for a birthday, and the wait staff will do their best to embarrass you. But it takes a while to get from MK to WL and then back. It's a lot of time off just to go get dinner.

I would go with LTT, out of your choices. It really is good food, the atmosphere is kind of quiet for being in the middle of MK, and I agree that it's nice to still be in the park the whole time. It's a good way to relax a little bit before gearing back up for EMH.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Artist Point or Kona would be my choices. I've eaten at both after leaving the park, so I don't think you'll feel out of place. I like the food and have always had great service at Kona, but the atmosphere is kind of plain.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

If I'm picking based on food alone, based your list, Artist's Point, no question. Excellent experience and excellent food, again and again. It is a more leisurely, adult, upscale meal, though. Comparing it to Liberty Inn or Kona is sort of apples and oranges. If you want something more laid back, I'd pick Kona.
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #24
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska_Disney View Post
We have had excellent meals at "the wave" at Contemporary.....nice atmosphere and good food. For what it is worth......
I'm kinda contemplating The Wave right now. At first I ruled it out for some reason, but I was just looking through Disney food pics and saw someone's beef tenderloin, butternut squash risotto, and potato hash! It looks amazing!

I am so indecisive. So now I'm thinking either The Wave or Artist Point. OR I will just keep my original ADR's which were breakfast at Crystal Palace, late lunch at LTT (2:30), then snack around at MK before having a very late dinner back at POR (food court or room service). I really wouldn't mind doing that, I think I would have more fun maximizing my time in the park rather than worrying about making a dinner reservation. Plus, that night is the longest MK will be open for our whole trip. The only other night I had planned on us going, they close at 9pm.

Decisions, decisions. This Disney planning is no joke! This is the first trip where I've tried to organize ADRs. Usually we just have one or two and then wing it the rest of the time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: