Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
nicolepl17
Earning My Ears

POFQ king room vs AKL pool view. $262 difference

2 Adults, 5 days , park hopper w/water and dining (PIN code offer)

Is AKL worth the extra money or is it better saved for spending?

We've been to wdw plenty of times however we haven't stayed at either resort. Any suggestions would be great!
nicolepl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Whoops, sorry! I read POFQ as Poly somehow. Sorry, editing post now.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Big Kid
Mouseketeer

We have not stayed at POFQ, but we love AKL. I think you would find plenty to do around Jambo House that would be worth 50 bucks a night.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
tehSAC
Mouseketeer

We loved AKL but we rented DVC points to stay and stayed in a savanna room. I would assume that the pool view rooms would be a bit louder on the balcony. Also it is a long distance to the parks except for AK. If you have your own car, I would say go for it.

I've also stayed in FQ, and the area is great. Very close to 3 of the 4 parks. Small resort too.

If it was up to me, I would go AKL. I choose that because of its beauty, and the amenities are great. I also travel using our own vehicle so busses are not an issue.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

AKL is gorgeous and the animals are neat to watch. That being said, I would pick PO and save the $$. Reason being - my priority is usually transportation - and since both resorts require bussing - the money savings comes into play. Now, if you are going to spend lots of time at the resort then I'd perhaps give the edge to AKL - but otherwise I vote that you save your cash. You can always go to AKL and tour around a bit. It is breathtaking.
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a Pool View room at AKL for our honeymoon and loved it. I didn't notice any bothersome noise from the pool area.
I haven't stayed at POFQ, but it's where I'm planning to stay in April, and I have a feeling we'll love it too.

However, considering your details, I doubt you have any extra time planned to enjoy the resort. We did 10 days at AKL, and I still feel as if I should have planned some time specifically for enjoying the amenities. We went to the pool once, and watched the animals from the public viewing areas a few times, but we still missed a lot. I don't regret spending the money, but as it was our first on property trip (and my husband's first trip entirely) we made some mistakes in the planning.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

AKL is really great. I think since there is such a small difference in price going from a mod to a deluxe you should go for it. The whole experience at AKL is incredible. I loved being able to see giraffes all day every day!!!

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both.
In my opinion - absolutely no doubt - AKL is worth the $262 difference.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

I've stayed at both, and we're returning to POFQ. It is so quiet. While AKL is very nice, and the animals are cool to look at, if you won't have a safari view, IMO it isn't worth the $$$.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

I stayed at AKL, concierge level for 9 days. While the hotel is beautiful, I didn't think it was worth the money.

1. The animals never came into our area. Which they could have done easily if they put food there.

2. The room was smaller than I had wanted and I was just one person.

3. The room has little lighting and it always seems dim. This is part of the theme.

4. There were not enough plugs in the room. There was one outlet I could get to and it was supposed to handle 3 plugs... the light, the refrigerator, and the coffee maker. Luckily, I didn't need coffee in the morning. I called for an extension chord and they didn't have any. The concierge actually bought one for me when she went out to lunch.

5. People said AKL has the best breakfast buffet.. Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey were better.. (in my mind)

6. Buses are shared with the DVC village and they were always dropped off first. Annoyed the heck out of me because they had to pass AKL to get to the DVC resort.

There were some positives: There are two hot tubs.. and one is kind of quieter than the other.

If you stay there, you should be able to book the Sunrise Safari (I don't think it's concierge level only) and that is an AMAZING breakfast safari. I LOVED that tour. It's the standard safari ride at AK, BUT it's before the park opened and just after all the animals are let out of their pens for their day. They're frisky and the tour guide gives great information about the safari.. there's no corny story about poachers.

I am trying POR this May.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: