Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #2596
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – November 16, 2012 – Part 6

Day 2 – November 16, 2012 – Part 6

We left off at Disneyland where we are riding It’s a Small World Holiday. This is one of our favorite rides during the Holiday season at DL where it is decorated with Holiday decorations. Not just the outside but also the inside of the ride which is decorated. It is so magical during the Holiday season with the holiday decorations. Now we are on the ride going through IASWH.

Now back with more pictures from IASWH.

It is so fun to see the ducks in the background of IASW

That’s it for this post and I will have more from IASWH.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #2597
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

IASW holiday is one of my favorites, especially at night. I always get teary in Soarin' when it gets to that part.

Fabulous photos as usual!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #2598
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Nice update of IaSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Thank you PiO. Some of the pictures were a little blurry when I taking pictures during IASWH. What setting would you used while on IASWH since some of the pictures that i looked at were blurry? It is one of the best times of the year to go to the DLR to go on IASWH and don't forget about Haunted Mansion Holiday which is decorated for the Halloween and Holiday season. Plus another ride that is unique during the Halloween season is Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy.

The next post will be up shortly.
Bret - What are the current settings you're using for IaSW? It looks to me like your pictures are a little on the dark side. And the blur could be a combination of movement and/or lower shutter speed.

If you let me know what the settings are, I might be able to help a little. I did try to go looking for these pictures in your flickr account; but got horribly lost.

However, I did go check my settings from the HKDL set; which is the last time I took pictures in IaSW. From the ones I checked, my ISO setting was 1600, f/2.8 and I varied the shutter speed from anywhere from 1/50 sec - 1/250 sec depending on the lighting conditions for that section of IaSW. I know I've also taken some at WDW and I'm pretty sure that my ISO setting there would have been around 800.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #2599
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
IASW holiday is one of my favorites, especially at night. I always get teary in Soarin' when it gets to that part.

Fabulous photos as usual!
Seeing IASWH at night is so amazing and also the show that runs during the nighttime.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nice update of IaSM.

Bret - What are the current settings you're using for IaSW? It looks to me like your pictures are a little on the dark side. And the blur could be a combination of movement and/or lower shutter speed.

If you let me know what the settings are, I might be able to help a little. I did try to go looking for these pictures in your flickr account; but got horribly lost.

However, I did go check my settings from the HKDL set; which is the last time I took pictures in IaSW. From the ones I checked, my ISO setting was 1600, f/2.8 and I varied the shutter speed from anywhere from 1/50 sec - 1/250 sec depending on the lighting conditions for that section of IaSW. I know I've also taken some at WDW and I'm pretty sure that my ISO setting there would have been around 800.
Thank you PiO.

I looked at my settings from IASW and the ISO settings were set at different setting during each different scene. I let is on auto while I left the f/2.8 and the shutter was at 1/30. I look at the settings and I thought that it would be okay if I left it at that. I thought that I left the ISO at a specific speed but it went on auto for each different picture

Here is one of the pictures with the settings.

ISO: 1100 f/2.8 1/30

Thank you for telling what settings you have used when you were on IASW. So it is the ISO which is the biggest one that I need to do.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #2600
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – November 16, 2012 – Part 7

Day 2 – November 16, 2012 – Part 7

We left off at Disneyland where we are riding It’s a Small World Holiday. This is one of our favorite rides during the Holiday season at DL where it is decorated with Holiday decorations. Not just the outside but also the inside of the ride which is decorated. It is so magical during the Holiday season with the holiday decorations. Now we are on the ride going through IASWH.

Now back with more pictures from IASWH again.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from IASWH.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #2601
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – November 16, 2012 – Part 8

Day 2 – November 16, 2012 – Part 8

Now back with more pictures from IASWH and we are almost at the end of the ride which is the best part of the ride.

Now we were back outside of IASWH and waiting to get back to the dock so we can exit the boat.

We got off IASWH and now about to head on our next attraction which you will find out on the next post.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #2602
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

What amazing details you captured on your journey!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #2603
PrincessInOz
in

Great shots inside IaSW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I looked at my settings from IASW and the ISO settings were set at different setting during each different scene. I let is on auto while I left the f/2.8 and the shutter was at 1/30. I look at the settings and I thought that it would be okay if I left it at that. I thought that I left the ISO at a specific speed but it went on auto for each different picture

Here is one of the pictures with the settings.

ISO: 1100 f/2.8 1/30

Thank you for telling what settings you have used when you were on IASW. So it is the ISO which is the biggest one that I need to do.
Bret - In dark rides, you want to let in as much light as possible to hit the sensor. You can do this by either increasing the ISO setting, opening up the aperture (lower f-stop setting) or by increasing the time that the shutter is open for (or a combination thereof).

If you're leaving the ISO on auto, the camera will calculate that based on the internal formulas for exposure.

Everyone will have a different preference for which one of the three - ISO, aperture or shutter speed - to set first. My personal preference is to set the ISO. The tradeoff for setting a high ISO is an increase in noise. In dark rides, I can use ISO 1600 or 3200 as I think that the noise level is acceptable for me. I could go to 6400, but I personally find it very grainy above this point.

I usually start with ISO1600 and then adjust the f-stop to 2.8 as that is the widest my zoom lens will go to. With your 35 mm, you could go wider but the tradeoff will be depth of field.

After I set the ISO and aperture, that just leaves me the shutter speed to play with. The longer you open it for, the more light you will let in. So, in the darker rooms, I will go down to 1/40 or 1/50 sec; but only if I have to. I can hold the camera steady at lower shutter speeds but in a moving ride, I find that any lower will then increase the likelihood of blur. From your settings used, I would say that you'll know what I mean.
In the rooms with more light, I will increase the shutter speed (and reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor) to get the correct exposure.

In the last trip (November) I did experiment shooting Buzz with an ISO of 800. You might remember those pictures in my TR and I thought that those pictures were too dark (for my liking). So, I'm going to stick with ISO of around 1600 for the moment.

There are other settings you could play with on your camera to increase the exposure of your picture. I'm still learning about those; so you might want to post a question on the photoboard section for someone else to answer (with a heap more experience than me).

Hope this helps.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #2604
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
What amazing details you captured on your journey!
Thank you Alison.

Quote:
Great shots inside IaSW.

Bret - In dark rides, you want to let in as much light as possible to hit the sensor. You can do this by either increasing the ISO setting, opening up the aperture (lower f-stop setting) or by increasing the time that the shutter is open for (or a combination thereof).

If you're leaving the ISO on auto, the camera will calculate that based on the internal formulas for exposure.

Everyone will have a different preference for which one of the three - ISO, aperture or shutter speed - to set first. My personal preference is to set the ISO. The tradeoff for setting a high ISO is an increase in noise. In dark rides, I can use ISO 1600 or 3200 as I think that the noise level is acceptable for me. I could go to 6400, but I personally find it very grainy above this point.

I usually start with ISO1600 and then adjust the f-stop to 2.8 as that is the widest my zoom lens will go to. With your 35 mm, you could go wider but the tradeoff will be depth of field.

After I set the ISO and aperture, that just leaves me the shutter speed to play with. The longer you open it for, the more light you will let in. So, in the darker rooms, I will go down to 1/40 or 1/50 sec; but only if I have to. I can hold the camera steady at lower shutter speeds but in a moving ride, I find that any lower will then increase the likelihood of blur. From your settings used, I would say that you'll know what I mean.
In the rooms with more light, I will increase the shutter speed (and reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor) to get the correct exposure.

In the last trip (November) I did experiment shooting Buzz with an ISO of 800. You might remember those pictures in my TR and I thought that those pictures were too dark (for my liking). So, I'm going to stick with ISO of around 1600 for the moment.

There are other settings you could play with on your camera to increase the exposure of your picture. I'm still learning about those; so you might want to post a question on the photoboard section for someone else to answer (with a heap more experience than me).

Hope this helps.
Thank you PiO.

Thank you for helping me with all the settings when I take pictures of IASWH this upcoming trip. I will be using your tips of taking the pictures.

I did remember seeing those pictures of Buzz that it was a little dark.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #2605
PrincessInOz
in

Looking forward to seeing more of your awesome shots from this coming trip, Bret. Have fun!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #2606
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing more of your awesome shots from this coming trip, Bret. Have fun!
Thank you PiO.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #2607
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I still have the Boo to You...and Food & Wine Too! - October 26 to November 2, 2012 trip report going on at the WDW thread and Our 2nd Annual Early Holiday Trip to DL in November - 11/16-18/12. These two trip reports are still in work of progress and I am still not even close to being finished with both trip reports so this upcoming trip which is the next day or today wont be started until I finish up both the WDW and DL trip in November. During the WDW trip which is was during the Halloween season and the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT. There is a lot to cover from this trip which the highlights of the trip were from Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party and the F&WF at EPCOT. The one that was the best was the Party for the Senses event at EPCOT.

Now I am planning my pre-trip for January 12-14, 2013.

Cast: Me Bret 31, my aunt 65, DM30 and DD2

This will be my first trip to DL this year. This will be my DA first time to DL since the 80s. DM first time since the 80s and DD2 first trip to DL.

Our trip is this upcoming Saturday and we will be there until Monday. This is a special trip for DM and DD2 since it is DD2 first time trip to DL. My aunt who came with me during my WDW trip in October/November wanted to take her BF and DD2 to DL and this was the best time for them to be able to go to DL. It will be during the slow season in mid January which I have been to in the past since 2010. There will be some rides and shows down during the off season at DL. But this was the best time for them to be able to take some time off and go to the DLR. They asked me if I wanted to come down with them for this trip since I can be there guide. I was excited to be able to go with them for this trip since it is DD2 first time going to DL and I want to make sure that she will never forget this trip. This will be a very interesting trip since I am doing it for them and not myself. There might be times that I want to do some things at DL where I usually do all the time like the Monorail & DLRR. This is mostly for them and I should not forget about it.

We will be flying from Sacramento International Airport to Orange County Airport on Saturday. We will be taking the Supershuttle bus to Anaheim. Mostly in the past when I go to the DLR, I always like to drive since I can bring more things than by flight. But this time my aunt, DM and DD2 are not long distance riders so this was the best option for them. So I will have to pack cautiously of what to bring that is important to me. We will be flying on Southwest Airlines which is one of my favorite airline companies when I go flying. We will be leaving at Sacramento at 9:30am and head to Orange Country around 10:40am. Then we will take the Supershuttle Bus to our hotel. I was about to use the Disney Express Bus but my aunt have better deals with the Supershuttle Bus. I had no problem with the Supershuttle instead of the Disney Express Bus.

We will be staying at Best Westerns Park Place & Inn. I have stayed at BWPPI a lot in the past and I always like this hotel since it is the closest non Disney hotel. They were considering one of the Disney hotels at the beginning but the price for staying there was just too great for them that they said that BWPPI was the next choice at $100 a night which is not a bad price for staying at BWPPI. The reason like I have said on my pre-trip reports of staying at BWPPI is because of the location. We got a suite room which has two queen size beds and a sofa bed which everyone will have their own bed at night. They are also glad that there is a continental breakfast at the top floor of Captains Kidd so we can get some juice, cereal, pastries as a snack when we head on over to the parks.

We will be in the parks for all three days of the trip. My aunt and DM have three day passes with a Magic Morning which comes in handy. Plus since DD2 is only 2 and a half years old she will get in the park for free which is a big difference of saving another $200 in tickets. I also found out a while ago that the Annual Pass holders would be able to get inside DL & DCA during MM on the weekends. So I would be able to go to DL during MM on Sunday which is a big thing.

Our goal for this trip is for my aunt, DM and DD2 to enjoy a great time at DL while I will be the guide for them during the trip. The main thing is to try to do a lot of different rides and shows during our three days at the parks. We also plan on doing a lot of character meet and greets around the resort. We do plan on seeing shows like Soundsational parade, Remember Dreams Come True fireworks and World of Color. We were hoping that Fantasmic! would be running but it is down during our trip. We are also having a few character breakfast during the trip. Our first one was going to have breakfast at Goofys Kitchen and Ariels Grotto. My aunt and I called for reservations at AG today this morning and were able to get a reservation.

Right now, we are not going to set a plan up until we decided of what we want to do at DL. But here are some plans that we will be doing on this trip.

Saturday
When we get to the DLR, we will be having lunch somewhere on Harbor Blvd after we check-in at BWPPI. Than we will head on over to DL and go on some of the rides at FL which have the short wait times since we will be going on them the next day during MM. We do plan on seeing the 4pm Mickeys Soundsational parade and will be seeing it around IASW Plaza since there will not be too many people around that area. Later that night we will try to get a good spot in front of SB Castle for RDCT fireworks at 8:45pm. Than after that we will try to do some rides that night until it is time to call it for the night.

Sunday
This is the most important day of the trip since we will be doing a lot of different things. First we will go to DL during MM at 7am to 8am to go on as many rides at FL. Later when the parks opens at 8am, we will head on over to DCA to get FPs for the first show of WoC and our plan is to get the blue section. After getting the FPs we will head on over to Goofys Kitchen for the character breakfast at 9am. After breakfast, we will head on back to the parks to go on the rides that day. Later during the nighttime, we will have dinner at Ariels Grotto for dinner and be able to meet the princesses . At 8:00pm will be the first show of WoC. Than we will do other rides that night.

Monday
Which will be the last day of the trip and we will be there until 1:30pm since we have to catch our flight at 4:40pm back to Sacramento. The park will be open at 10am since it is an off season date so we will try to get as much done during our limited time at DL.

I will write more about my TR and ask for any advice of what I should do with my time at the DLR during the Holiday season.

Thank you
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #2608
PrincessInOz
in

Sounds like a great 3 day trip, Bret. Looking forward to the updates.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #2609
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like a great 3 day trip, Bret. Looking forward to the updates.
Thank you PiO.

It was very nice to be home after a 3 day trip. This was a very nice trip where I got to experience it with a young child where I don't experience it too often when I go to the DLR. I wasn't able to do any live updates since we were having a lot of fun during the trip and met a lot of Disney characters at the parks and the restaurants. The highlight of the trip was at Ariel's Grotto where DD2 was so happy to meet all the princesses and the DM was so emotional of seeing her daughter meeting the princesses. DD2 was able to get a lot of pictures with the Disney characters at the park and character restaurants.

We mostly did everything on the plan where we watched RDCT fireworks, Mickey's Soundsational parade and WoC which everyone liked a lot. We had breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen and AG for dinner. Plus we had a another family member who lives in SoCal join us on Sunday and Monday. She was great to be with during our trip and she is called K on the trip report.

There were a lot of pictures of the DD2, DM and K. I barely got some pictures of myself since I was doing all the picture taking for them. This was a great trip and I was glad that I got to go with them during this trip.
The weather was a little cold on Saturday and later on it started to get a little better. At least the weather in SoCal was way better then in NorCal. The crowd levels were not that high during the whole trip where the longest line I have saw all week was Radiator Springs Racers (of course) at 45 minutes which wasn't that bad. We didn't ride RSR since DD2 can't go on the ride.

The trip was during the off season where a lot of rides and buildings were in refurbishment from the MS RR station where it was not open but the DLRR was still running during our visit. BTMRR is under it's long refurbishment where it won't be open till later this year. HMH is closed for the Holiday removal.

The interesting thing about our trip was that there were more CM's outside the turnstiles at both parks where they are scanning guests tickets to see if those tickets belong to the person. I at first thought that we had to show an ID when we got to the turnstiles. But they had CM's outside with iPod Touch to scan the tickets. My aunt and DM had to get a picture from the CM for the ticket so the CM's know that the ticket belongs to her. It was a little annoying that they had CM's outside the turnstiles to scan tickets and take picture of the guests. I do understand the situation of the ticket renters in the past that Disney wants to crack them down. But it does slow down the time to enter the park. Since I had an AP I didn't have to get my AP scanned. I was also annoyed by one CM when we were walking to DL where he told me to show my AP closely. This new process really slows everyone down when you enter the park.

Here are some pictures from the trip with DM, DD2, my aunt and myself.

DD2 with Cinderella

DM and DD2

Me, DD2 and DM. The castle still had the snow while the decorations have been take down during our visit.

My aunt, DD2 and DM waiting for Soundsational Parade

A lot of the Holiday decorations at IASW Plaza were still up during our visit

DD2 sleeping on Minnie's bed

Minnie and DD2

Here is a picture of RDCT fireworks that night

Before I start showing more pictures of this trip report, I still have to work on my November trip as well as finishing up my WDW trip report which are behind.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #2610
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Brett the little 2 yr old is adorable! Wonderful pics.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: