Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
aprincessatlast
Mouseketeer

Will the LIVESTRONG foundation suffer cause of Armstrong?

LIVESTRONG has distanced themselves from Armstrong as best they can I guess, but in reality do you think they will suffer greatly cause of Armstrongs actions?

After reading many articles and viewpoints on Lance and his actions he really does not sound like a very nice guy. Not just the cheating part but article after article about the people he threw under the bus. "The you will never work in cycling again" threats to his many staff. The many lives he changed for the worse because of his actions.

This had me thinking when you walk into DICK's next time or some other sporting goods store and you see a Livestrong shirt are you going to think twice and wonder what that actually represents?
aprincessatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I was never really in cycling or Lance Armstrong so I don't see it affecting me either way. What has surprised me, though, is the reaction that various friends of mine have had. So many of them have been LA supporters for years and they are proudly standing behind him and making comments about how he screwed up just like all humans do, but that he is owning up to it and taking responsibility for it. When questioned about all the lying he did and all the people that he threw under the bus, sued, or threatened to sue, I get called a hater and told that I need to learn to forgive him for being human and making a mistake.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Mokat76
DisKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I was never really in cycling or Lance Armstrong so I don't see it affecting me either way. What has surprised me, though, is the reaction that various friends of mine have had. So many of them have been LA supporters for years and they are proudly standing behind him and making comments about how he screwed up just like all humans do, but that he is owning up to it and taking responsibility for it. When questioned about all the lying he did and all the people that he threw under the bus, sued, or threatened to sue, I get called a hater and told that I need to learn to forgive him for being human and making a mistake.
Wow. Those are crazy people! A mistake would be a brief error in judgment, not taking the lead of a prolonged conspiracy that included lying under oath, bullying and threatening, taking money under false pretenses and tarnishing the reputations of cyclists everywhere.

I feel for the Living Strong folks. I think their foundation is going to crumble under this scandal. I don't think they'll be able to put enough distance between their good work and the ultimate cheater.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Livestrong will continue to be one of my charity's of choice.
http://www.livestrong.org/wecanhelp/
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Lanshark
Peace be still
Congratulations on your flower bloomin thingy

Unfortunately, it will suffer. There are already references to Livestrong = Liestrong

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanshark View Post
Unfortunately, it will suffer. There are already references to Livestrong = Liestrong

I know a few small local businesses that are pulling their support and I'm pretty done too.

It's not just the cheating.

It's the balant hostility to those who dare to suggest (and in the end where right) that some thing could have be amiss.

IMO he is doing with my father called "death row" apologizing. The switch has been thrown on his career, now he wants to make amends. sorry not buying it.

lastly his total disregard for the people who he hurt (and yes I know I don't know them personally but all I can do is judge on the information provided).

One of the reasons many charities try hard to not have a celebrity spokesman.

Way too many other charities that provide services for cancer for me to give to his.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
aprincessatlast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wow! Ouch that does not look good. That was what I was thinking though, it does not look good. That is really sad.
aprincessatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

It has suffered financially.

Based on the attitude of Armstrong (which makes me sad) I think people will distance themselves even more.

The ability to lie for years and make it very believable plus lying under oath makes him a feud.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

It should be disbanded---it was founded on a false foundation and lies---sorry but it has to go---it may have helped millions, but it has also made Amstrong millions+--it needs to go......sorry
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
It should be disbanded---it was founded on a false foundation and lies---sorry but it has to go---it may have helped millions, but it has also made Amstrong millions+--it needs to go......sorry
It hasn't made him millions. So many people have been helped by LIVESTRONG. LIVESTRONG is larger than Lance Armstrong. It is made up of those fighting, those who have survived, and those affected by cancer. People with this type of attitude know nothing about LIVESTRONG. I invite you to read its Facebook page and to check out the website to see how people have been helped and what the organization is really about.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Traveler Steve
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Quoted for truth.

Unfortunate but true. The charity may be the best in the world, help thousands if not millions of people, but if the founder is found out to be less than desirable, then the whole foundation may come crashing down.

Is this fair? In this instance, probably not. I have no idea if Mr. Armstrong has a daily influence on the charity (I doubt it), but even so, if they are doing good work, why should the leader's bad reputation rub off on the organization? Only time will tell. Perhaps they'll be able to weather the storm and continue on.
Traveler Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: