Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Landsickness?

I had read so much about sea-sickness before our cruise, and I came prepared with Bonine. I ended up not using the Bonine because I started taking it about an hour before our first flight and, for the first time ever on a flight, I threw up. Not a pleasant experience. I didn't have any problem on the ship, much to my delight. But, for 3-4 days after the cruise, I had terrible landsickness! I didn't even know that would happen and it really took me by surprise. We planned a day at wdw after the cruise and I hardly enjoyed it. I walked around dizzy and felt like a drunk sailor. For future reference, is there any way to prevent or relieve this? If I had realized this was going to happen, I would have planned the end part of our vacation much differently.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

I also experienced this, but I always do. Always fine aboard in all seas, yet on land ... No need for alcohol for a week or two.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....=land+sea+sick
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Juney
Mouseketeer

Yep. I'm always very unstable on my feet for 3-4 days after getting onshore.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family View Post
I had read so much about sea-sickness before our cruise, and I came prepared with Bonine. I ended up not using the Bonine because I started taking it about an hour before our first flight and, for the first time ever on a flight, I threw up. Not a pleasant experience. I didn't have any problem on the ship, much to my delight. But, for 3-4 days after the cruise, I had terrible landsickness! I didn't even know that would happen and it really took me by surprise. We planned a day at wdw after the cruise and I hardly enjoyed it. I walked around dizzy and felt like a drunk sailor. For future reference, is there any way to prevent or relieve this? If I had realized this was going to happen, I would have planned the end part of our vacation much differently.
If you continue to take the motion sickness meds after disembarking, they will help "reset" your inner ear. Others have reported sucess with anti-histimines.

It's called "mal de barkment" and it's more wide spread then most people are aware. Most have a bit of it for a day or two, others suffer for several weeks.

I'm in the group that has a problem (particularly in the shower) for about 5-7 days afterward. But, after our first Alaksa cruise, the ground swayed under my feet for about a month.

I don't find it particularly bothersome, as I'm a "rocker" (have been since I was a baby).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

After our Alaska cruise, DS and I had it for about 5 days. After our W. Caribbean cruise, didn't have it at all! (But the seas were considerably more calm than they were for Alaska.)
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

I acutally LOVE that feeling, makes me feel like I'm still on the ship!

I did find a rapid cure several years ago. After getting off a 7, I spent the day in Epcot. I was feeling the park rocking like it was on the ocea, but one ride on Mission Space and I realized the feeling was gone!!!

That's my advice for curing the feeling quickly!

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: