Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
You're still subject to be towed if you try this. We normally go in October, which is pretty much off season. We've seen cars towed from the Poly multiple times at this time of year, presumably due to a crowded lot and a non-guest parking there. I would never risk this, especially when the TTC lot is literally adjacent to the Poly lot.
Oh I understand but haven't been towed in 30 plus years I've been parking there. Again slow season only with no special events at the hotels. Beats the main parking lot !

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #17
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
In the "off" seasons you can park at a MK hotel and go from there via monorail. Busy times they are a lot stricter. I always have a car, but last trip we stayed at WL and used a bus to get to MK. 3 AK buses-1 EC and 1 DTD came by before a MK bus came. Very frustrating. I know I could have taken a boat also but mistakenly thought bus would be faster. Thinking of trying ME for our 5 day trip in Dec but requires a lot more thinking still. Have the car rental already for May trip
When we were there this past Feb we saw a car being towed at the Contemporary parking lot. We had our three y/o GS with us and he wanted to watch the "big truck" pull the car up onto it's bed. The only people there were the tow truck driver and some CM in uniform, so assume the car was being towed because some guest parked there instead of in the MK lot. There are signs up as you enter those parking lots that they are for guests of that resort only. Frequently the CM at the gate will tell people coming in for dining ADRs that parking is for two hours only, if you are not a guest of that particular resort. Feb is slow season, but they were still towing cars. No way would I take the chance.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronInWI View Post
Just to add my two cents, our first three trips we used Disney transportation exclusively. Our last trip in September, we drove down so we were able to use our car to get everywhere. Personally, I'd never use Disney transportation again after having my own vehicle. If you consider that you're driving the same roads/routes as the buses, then it makes sense that driving yourself would be as fast, if not faster than, Disney buses. (We've only stayed onsite, at the Contemporary, so I can't speak for getting to/from Magic Kingdom.) We never waited more than 5 minutes for a parking tram, which is far less than we typically waited for a bus on previous trips. And staying at the Contemporary, we shared a bus with Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, and Polynesian. So we always had those stops to deal with, as well. But, there are certainly others who like to leave their car at the airport or resort parking lot, and not have to get behind the wheel until the trip is over. I like driving in general, so I don't mind driving on vacation as well.
Thank you for your reply and POV. We stayed at Bay Lake previously and I had already forgotten about the extra resort stops. Most of the other resorts we've stayed at though have buses that service only that particular resort but with the extra stops within the resort. There can be lots of extra stops so glad to hear driving works out better for your family.
momto3boysillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I don't mind the buses but my husband prefers to drive our car to the parks rather than wait for the buses. It is faster.

The only exception is MK or if we know we'll be drinking. If we will be drinking or going to MK, we take the buses.

When I go solo, I normally fly. So I save money and just take Disney transportation everywhere.
That's a good point. We usually try some drinks around the world at Epcot so that would probably not be the best park to drive to.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

We did an experient during our trip. DH drove the car from Epcot to SSR and I took the bus. DH waited at SSR for 42 minutes for me to arrive. The next day we did the same only in reverse. I took the bus to the AK and he drove. He waited 28 mintues for me. So there was over an hour of vacation time spent taking Disney transportation. Mulitply that by a 7 day trip and you have spent 7 hours just waiting/riding buses!!!!
If you go to more that one park a day the time wasted on Disney tranporation in crazy

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosesix View Post
But I would never drive to MK if I could take a bus -- once you've done the monorail and ferry to and from the TTC you get over the dazzle of it. Especially at park closing that extra 40 minutes - 1 hr of travel to get to your car ie. wait for the monorail, ride the monorail, wait for the parking tram, ride the parking tram, can just be a downer at the end of a really long day.
I would never take a bus if I could drive which is why I do drive to every park including the MK. In the past 10 years even with monorail delays it has never taken 40 minutes to 1 hour to get to my car at MK. This week it took approx 10-15 minutes from the car to the park entrance. The downer to me is mashing into a crowded bus with no where to sit and listening to someone's kid crying while at the same time smelling someone else BO at the end of a very long day. Driving is so much more convenient, faster, and relaxing.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
Pembo
OH-IO

We found driving to the MK to be very easy!!! If you go at rope drop, you'll have a very close parking space to the front of the lot OR if you take a mid-day break, we got even closer on our return. Usually we've been so close as to walk to the TTC. We'd have to backtrack a little to get on the tram. Riding the boat to the MK is lovely and there is usually not a long line.

I was like the OP and wasn't sure and like many others have posted thought that parking at the MK was a hassle. But that has not been our experience. And we have always gotten out of parking lots quickly, no back-ups. (We travel in summer)

After witnessing a 3 bus crash at the MK on a busy night, I will never ride standing again. (think domino effect with buses).
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
We did an experient during our trip. DH drove the car from Epcot to SSR and I took the bus. DH waited at SSR for 42 minutes for me to arrive. The next day we did the same only in reverse. I took the bus to the AK and he drove. He waited 28 mintues for me. So there was over an hour of vacation time spent taking Disney transportation. Mulitply that by a 7 day trip and you have spent 7 hours just waiting/riding buses!!!!
If you go to more that one park a day the time wasted on Disney tranporation in crazy
OH wow! Thanks for sharing. We had to wait on a Magic Kingdom bus for over 30 min when we were heading to the Halloween party this past Oct and it really got me to thinking how much time we were wasting...
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
while at the same time smelling someone else BO at the end of a very long day.
Yes! That really got to me this last trip!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
We found driving to the MK to be very easy!!! If you go at rope drop, you'll have a very close parking space to the front of the lot OR if you take a mid-day break, we got even closer on our return. Usually we've been so close as to walk to the TTC. We'd have to backtrack a little to get on the tram. Riding the boat to the MK is lovely and there is usually not a long line.

I was like the OP and wasn't sure and like many others have posted thought that parking at the MK was a hassle. But that has not been our experience. And we have always gotten out of parking lots quickly, no back-ups. (We travel in summer)

After witnessing a 3 bus crash at the MK on a busy night, I will never ride standing again. (think domino effect with buses).
It sounds like you have it figured out! I'm not sure we'll ever get there that early but maybe we could give it a try if the kids get enough sleep.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
theyoungs07
Earning My Ears

We drive from IL and had 6 kids under the age of 9 in 2010. There is something about exhausted kids getting into their own carseats at the end of a long day. We stay offsite so it is my only option, but I remember the buses when it was just two of us. Folding strollers for buses while holding kids sounds like a nightmare when leaving after fireworks...etc.

If you are a AAA member, ask about getting a diamond parking pass, if not, you might want to look at an online auction site. Diamond parking is immediately past the handicapped spots so you can avoid the trams too. Two trips for us and we've never had to use the trams once in the parking lots.

Good luck, I'll be back there in April to do the world with 7 kids this year. :-)
theyoungs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

We drive to all parks apart from Epcot as I like to have a frozen margarita or 3!!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
momtojandj
Mouseketeer

Ok, question ..if we drive to let's say Epcot, then park hop all day using Disney transportation.. I run the risk of not getting transportation back to where my car is right? So should I park where I think I will end up, then park hop from there? Confused
momtojandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojandj View Post
Ok, question ..if we drive to let's say Epcot, then park hop all day using Disney transportation.. I run the risk of not getting transportation back to where my car is right? So should I park where I think I will end up, then park hop from there? Confused
Simply knowing park hours for the day you're driving would answer this for you. If the park you're ending up at is open later than EPCOT, you may want to park where you end up at. If EPCOT is open later, then park at EPCOT.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
momtojandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Simply knowing park hours for the day you're driving would answer this for you. If the park you're ending up at is open later than EPCOT, you may want to park where you end up at. If EPCOT is open later, then park at EPCOT.
Thank you, I don't know why my brain couldn't compress that ..until I see it written out.. Txs!
momtojandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: