Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

Ohana's or Chef Mickeys for breakfast

On our departure day I have chef mickeys booked as I really want to see Minnie in her original form...however, our flight times were changed and it might be rushed to get breakfast in...our ADR is for 920 and our flight leaves at 150pm. (we are driving ourselves so no ME).....I was thinking of switching to Ohana's for breakfast instead although we are doing dinner there on arrival night...what is everyone;s thoughts?
thanks
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
dianep
Disney Nut!

I would keep trying to get an earlier time at Chef Mickeys. The "fab 5" are really great there. It is buffet so you don't have to wait on your food.

March 2013 - CSR
Jan 2011 - ASMov
July 2010 - Kids with grandparents at CSR
2008 - CSR
2006 - CB
2004 - OP
2002 - CB
2001 - PO
1999 - PO
1997 - OP
1995 - CSR
1992 - OP
1985 - OP
1980 - LBV
dianep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
princessap
DIS Veteran

how long does breakfast take?? i have been looking for earlier times with no luck
would we be ok at 920 if nothing else shows up?
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

I personally think the characters at Ohana are much better as is the food. I would try there if you can.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
vdub322
Are we there yet?

We really enjoyed breakfast at 'Ohana. We ate dinner and breakfast there on our last trip. My DD3 still talks about the character interaction we had there. I have never done Chef Mickey's but we would do 'Ohana again.

vdub322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

'Ohana is much more relaxing and the food is way better, IMO. It is very different from dinner, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
DisneyF4
Mouseketeer

This is a tough choice, but I think I'd go with Ohana. Lilo and Stitch are there, too! Another really good restaurant in the Polynesian across the floor from Ohana is the Kona Cafe. There aren't any characters there, but the food (breakfast) is AWESOME!
  • 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
  • 2011 - All Star Music
  • 2009 - Pop Century

DisneyF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
MorganK
Earning My Ears

We LOVED 'Ohana breakfast when we did it--everything was wonderful. We only did Chef Mickey's for dinner but it was by far our least favorite meal (server was bad, food mediocre, and characters rushed).
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
DDM101
Mouseketeer

I think both options are good. 'Ohana tends to be more laid back with great character interaction and nice breakfast offerings served family style. Chef Mickey's also has great character interaction with more variety due to the expansive buffet. It's really a matter of preference. If you want a more laid- back experience, go with 'Ohana. If you don't mind a buffet and lots of fanfare, then Chef Mickey is a good choice.
DDM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure exactly what you mean in her original form, but all the characters at Chef Mickey's are dressed as chefs.

We love 'Ohana.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
jlsmith376
Mouseketeer

We loved the food and the way it is served at Ohana. You don't have to get up from the table which is nice if you have a few young children. It does have character interaction and the kids get to participate in a parade around the restaurant with the characters. It is definitely more relaxed than Chef Mickeys.

Chef Mickeys is a good choice too. I agree with the pp's that the food is not as good as Ohana, but if you have picky eaters it does provide more variety as they can have the standard hot choices on the buffet, plus they have a cereal buffet. Chef Mickeys has a more excited atmosphere than Ohana. We usually do Chef Mickeys at the beginning of the trip and Ohana at the end.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
how long does breakfast take?? i have been looking for earlier times with no luck
would we be ok at 920 if nothing else shows up?
If they are seating on time and there are no delays, I think you would have enough time. But, there are no guarantees they will be seating on time.

If you are able, I would try to get an earlier ADR at CMs. We hated Ohana breakfast... we felt the service was very slow, the food options were minimal, and the characters took a long time to get to us. We liked that CM was a buffet so there were many more options. Plus, since CM is a buffet, it won't take as long.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

Having done both on past trips, I chose Ohana as our departure day breakfast. Mainly because of the amount of time that you get with the characters and that Lilo and Stitch are there. The food is also really good. I also think that it is a much more relaxed, not rushed, feeling there. ( Just like Hawaii! )
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
On our departure day I have chef mickeys booked as I really want to see Minnie in her original form...however, our flight times were changed and it might be rushed to get breakfast in...our ADR is for 920 and our flight leaves at 150pm. (we are driving ourselves so no ME).....I was thinking of switching to Ohana's for breakfast instead although we are doing dinner there on arrival night...what is everyone;s thoughts?
thanks
We've done both for breakfast and our family likes the food at Ohana much better. Character wise, at Chef Mickey's it always feels like the characters are rushing through and at Ohana I feel like they take a little more time.

As far as how long it takes... I've had hour long waits to be seated (which since we're usually early that means about 30-40 minutes past our ADR time) at both and I've been seated immediately at both. It just depends on how busy they are. The same with seeing all the characters. Sometimes it's fast and sometimes if they're really busy it takes forever.

Minnie does have a little apron on at Chef Mickey's, but she's in her red polka dot dress.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
melifeld
Mouseketeer

Vote for O'hana

We have done both, and I like O'hana better for both food and character interaction.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: