Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #1486
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Hey I have a question for you Poly experts.

My Mom just got back recently from a trip to Hawaii. She has also decided last minute to join us on our trip to the Poly.

She said while in Hawaii she did a tour of this abandoned resort and she said the tour guides told her that this resort was the "inspiration" for Disney's Polynesian Resort. Looking at the pictures it does look familiar. Is this a known thing or was her tour guide making stuff up? I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Here is the abandoned resort in Hawaii:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_Palms_Resort

We leave a week from today!!!

ETA: Sorry edited to put in a different link. Not sure what was up with the name of that blog I first linked. UGH.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #1487
Janny
Earning My Ears

Is there a way to walk to The Grand Floridian from the Poly with a wheelchair?
How Long A Stroll?
Thanks!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #1488
Hbelton07
Faith, trust, and pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLassell View Post
Big NO NO! You must be a resort guest not just eating there otherwise the pool would be FULL!
Sigh...I figured, just hoping maybe there was a rule exception I didn't know about. Thanks though! I know some people get really annoyed with pool hopping topic. I never really had to worry about it, now my boys are getting bigger and can swim so I guess I have to add fun pools to my list next trip.

DH Me DS (4 1/2) DS (3) DS (1 1/2)

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #1489
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbelton07 View Post
I am not staying at the Poly (not my choice ) but we have a few ADRs there...so

Question...Is it a big no-no for us to swim in the pool before/after our dinner reservations? I know pool hopping isn't really allowed, but is this really pool hopping if I am a paying customer at the resort...for the food...LOL..I know it's a bit of a stretch, but would it be okay? Wouldn't want to get the stink eye from anybody
Wouldn't bother me if you did it but there will be a bunch of people on here that will act like doing so is a felony.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #1490
tsme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbelton07 View Post
I am not staying at the Poly (not my choice ) but we have a few ADRs there...so

Question...Is it a big no-no for us to swim in the pool before/after our dinner reservations? I know pool hopping isn't really allowed, but is this really pool hopping if I am a paying customer at the resort...for the food...LOL..I know it's a bit of a stretch, but would it be okay? Wouldn't want to get the stink eye from anybody
It would be a big NO-NO. And the last time we were staying at the Poly they were checking for room keys & putting bands on those who were guests & asking those who were not to leave. So not a good idea.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #1491
princessap
DIS Veteran

I wish there was a way to know for sure when the pool will be closed...so frusturating as it will change our plans
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #1492
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsme View Post
It would be a big NO-NO. And the last time we were staying at the Poly they were checking for room keys & putting bands on those who were guests & asking those who were not to leave. So not a good idea.
When we were there last time (Feb. 2011) they weren't doing any such thing. We were never asked for any proof that we were staying there. Of course, you run the risk that IF they are checking you'll be asked to leave the pool, but it isn't like they are going to round you up and shoot you. I've heard that they check when it is particularly crowded.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #1493
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I wish there was a way to know for sure when the pool will be closed...so frusturating as it will change our plans
Agreed. We have reservations first week of March and I'm contemplating switching to the Beach Club. We'll spend at least one day at the resort/pool and probably a few evenings as well. Has anyone called Disney or the resort itself to ask?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1494
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHoo View Post
Agreed. We have reservations first week of March and I'm contemplating switching to the Beach Club. We'll spend at least one day at the resort/pool and probably a few evenings as well. Has anyone called Disney or the resort itself to ask?
I know how you feel....our arrival day we arrive really early and that whole day was going to be resort day
I am going to call Poly directly and will let you know
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #1495
princessap
DIS Veteran

Just called the polynesian resort directly and she said the pool slide will be closed March 4-15 but the pool itself will remain open....a bit disappointing...she also said guests won't be allowed to use other resort pools as the pool itself will be open.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #1496
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just called the polynesian resort directly and she said the pool slide will be closed March 4-15 but the pool itself will remain open....a bit disappointing...she also said guests won't be allowed to use other resort pools as the pool itself will be open.
Well, that sucks. Thanks for calling though. Have to determine if we want to switch or not -- full pool will be open first few days we are there we planned on March 4 for resort/pool day and that will be the first day the slide is closed.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #1497
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post

My Mom just got back recently from a trip to Hawaii. She has also decided last minute to join us on our trip to the Poly.

She said while in Hawaii she did a tour of this abandoned resort and she said the tour guides told her that this resort was the "inspiration" for Disney's Polynesian Resort. Looking at the pictures it does look familiar. Is this a known thing or was her tour guide making stuff up? I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Here is the abandoned resort in Hawaii:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_Palms_Resort

ETA: Sorry edited to put in a different link. Not sure what was up with the name of that blog I first linked. UGH.
I had never heard this but the pic does resemble a Poly longhouse! You should ask Tikiman on his site - if there's any truth to it, he will know!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1498
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000

I bet it was!!! It does look a lot like the Poly! I had always heard Walt Disney wanted a Polynesian inspired resort after him and his wife had visited Hawaii and fell in love with it, obviously it was built after he passed away. Interesting though!

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #1499
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHoo View Post
Well, that sucks. Thanks for calling though. Have to determine if we want to switch or not -- full pool will be open first few days we are there we planned on March 4 for resort/pool day and that will be the first day the slide is closed.
No problem...we arrive March 4th
However, I am trying to think positive and I am not even sure my girls would use the slide without one of us going down with them so maybe it won't be that bad....I want to be on the monorail and no other resort is available for discounts like I got with Poly.
Tikiman says February 18-28 so fingers crossed he is right~

Looks like we will be there the same time!!! it is our first onsite stay and I am excited about that part of it...sometimes I wish I didnt find this site and overthink and overplan my trips...LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #1500
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
No problem...we arrive March 4th
However, I am trying to think positive and I am not even sure my girls would use the slide without one of us going down with them so maybe it won't be that bad....I want to be on the monorail and no other resort is available for discounts like I got with Poly.
Tikiman says February 18-28 so fingers crossed he is right~

Looks like we will be there the same time!!! it is our first onsite stay and I am excited about that part of it...sometimes I wish I didnt find this site and overthink and overplan my trips...LOL
With regard to the bolded, you would not be permitted to go down the slide with them if they were hesitant. You could go before or after them, but not with them--only one person on the slide at a time.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: