Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Opinions on the "Cozumel Ruins & Beach Tour" excursion

Has anyone done this and care to share your opinions?

We'll be traveling with myself, DH, and 3 kids (17, 7, & 4). Is there a lot of walking? Or is it more free roaming around the ruins?
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post

We'll be traveling with myself, DH, and 3 kids (17, 7, & 4). Is there a lot of walking? Or is it more free roaming around the ruins?
It is a tour of the ruins. It is organized and you are asked to stay with the group. That being said, they do let you wander in the area to take pictures before you move on to the next section. It really didn't last too long. I want to say it was 45 minutes at the most. They take your picture when you get there (so you can buy later if you wish ) and then give you about 15 minutes at the end to shop. Then it's off to the beach. The bus ride out to the ruins was long but we enjoyed seeing the different parts of the island. Parts of Cozumel are extremely poor and was a real eye opener for us, especially DD.

The beach was okay. I'm not a huge resort type person for the beaches. I prefer quiet, out of the way places, but it was beautiful and we had fun.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Was the walk around the ruins more of a leisurely pace as opposed to a fast paced type of hike? Just want to make sure it's something my 4 year old could handle. I don't want a whiny 4 year old complaining he's tired and wants to be carried! lol
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

The San Gervasio ruins can be done as part of three different excursions. There's the beach, the tequila tour and the discover mexico.

These ruins are small, however, considering the ones inland take a 45' ferry ride and a 1:15' bus ride each way, it might be enough. The discover mexico supposedly has very good reviews.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Thanks!

Was the walk around the ruins more of a leisurely pace as opposed to a fast paced type of hike? Just want to make sure it's something my 4 year old could handle. I don't want a whiny 4 year old complaining he's tired and wants to be carried! lol
Very leisurely! I wouldn't do it if anyone walked with a cane as the ruins are uneven but a healthy 4 year old will have no problem keeping up. I would buy him a disposable camera just for that part of the trip. He can snap pictures of the ruins (as you can't climb on them) and then you can snap his photo when he gets to the one or two pieces he can climb. Definitely make it an event or I can see him getting bored with the history part. There were a couple on our tour that really couldn't wait to hit the beach.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Bethann1959
Earning My Ears

Quote:

wondering which cruise you will be on? my 4 y/o granddaughter will be on the Wonder leaving 1/19 and we are also taking this trip. if, by chance, you are on it also, i'm sure my granddaughter will want to befriend your daughter for lots of conversation

Beth

WDW-too many times to count-Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter, Coronado Springs, All Star Movies, Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney Wonder Western Caribbean Cruise Jan 2013
Bethann1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethann1959 View Post
wondering which cruise you will be on? my 4 y/o granddaughter will be on the Wonder leaving 1/19 and we are also taking this trip. if, by chance, you are on it also, i'm sure my granddaughter will want to befriend your daughter for lots of conversation

Beth
Unfortunately, we'll be on the 2/11 Wonder sailing. Would have been nice to have another 4 year old to befriend!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

So in total how long did the tour take? Our ship departs Cozumel at 3:30 and just wondering if I will have any time to buy a t-shirt at Margaritaville.

Also, is the transportation back from the beach in a shuttle type vehicle?

And are there appropriate changing facilities?

thanks

Lorrie
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
webzila
Earning My Ears

I heard that some of these ruins on the island itself are actually replicas. Is this the case? Last time we were at Cozumel we did Tulum which is inland and thats a real Mayan site. I recommend that. There is a beach there as well - it is very nice and beautiful but just note that there are no ammenities.
2010 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (Galveston)
2011 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2012 - NCL Spirit (New Orleans)

Upcoming:
March 2013 - Disney Magic (Galveston) [...with a new 10 month old at the time of sailing..yay]
webzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
So in total how long did the tour take? Our ship departs Cozumel at 3:30 and just wondering if I will have any time to buy a t-shirt at Margaritaville.

Also, is the transportation back from the beach in a shuttle type vehicle?

And are there appropriate changing facilities?

thanks

Lorrie
If you are doing this excursion then yes, there are facilities to change. The beach facility is really full service complete with a restaurant, large inflatables, etc.
Transportation is in a large charter bus.
I do remember us having a little time to shop at the drop off but not too long. And I really don't know where Maragaritaville is in comparison to the boat so I couldn't say if you had time to get there or not. But this is considered a half day type excursion so you should have time either at the beginning or the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzila View Post
I heard that some of these ruins on the island itself are actually replicas. Is this the case? Last time we were at Cozumel we did Tulum which is inland and thats a real Mayan site. I recommend that. There is a beach there as well - it is very nice and beautiful but just note that there are no ammenities.
A portion of the replicas are real. They are working to repair some (add pieces). It's kind of obvious where they added pieces. It was nice for my DD but the next time we go we will go to Tulum. There is really no comparison between the two. One is full fledged ruins, the other is partial ruins/partial recreation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: