Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #31
GrammyGee
Earning My Ears

DVC Member Magnets

We were on the Jan. 6 cruise and had a DVC magnet on our door - the lifesaver "welcome home" one but it was dated 2012. I went to the desk and said we were hoping for a 2013 one to add to our collection and he gave me a new one ---- it's a wooden ship's wheel but only says Welcome Home Member and the DVC symbol but they no longer have dates on them. I guess we'll be seeing these same ones for a long time.......Debbie
GrammyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #32
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

We've never had a problem with stolen magnets or FE. That said, we use a zip-tie on our FE.... and there was this one time when we were leaving at the same time a mom was admiring our door with her very young little girl and as they started to walk away the little girl (not knowing any better) snatched one of the "minnie heads" that bordered the edges of our door. Mom quickly took action and told her to place it back on the door that they were only to look at. Of course, I told her to go ahead and take it. I just adjusted the ones outlining the door so the missing one wasn't noticeable. We passed by their cabin often. We knew where it was because of the very small "minnie head" on it. So, if you lose a magnet, just assume it was snatched by a sweet little girl/boy who just didn't know any better rather than by the teen just out to create mischief. Maybe you'll feel better about its loss that way.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
We've never had a problem with stolen magnets or FE. That said, we use a zip-tie on our FE.... and there was this one time when we were leaving at the same time a mom was admiring our door with her very young little girl and as they started to walk away the little girl (not knowing any better) snatched one of the "minnie heads" that bordered the edges of our door. Mom quickly took action and told her to place it back on the door that they were only to look at. Of course, I told her to go ahead and take it. I just adjusted the ones outlining the door so the missing one wasn't noticeable. We passed by their cabin often. We knew where it was because of the very small "minnie head" on it. So, if you lose a magnet, just assume it was snatched by a sweet little girl/boy who just didn't know any better rather than by the teen just out to create mischief. Maybe you'll feel better about its loss that way.
You have such a good attitude lol I'm more the, "Get off my lawn you dang hooligans!" type of person.

So yea, get off my FE and door magnets...hooligans!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
mtfamfam
Earning My Ears

Hi All,

Do most people use zip ties to fasten their FEs to the fish?

Thanks!
mtfamfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #35
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfamfam View Post
Hi All,

Do most people use zip ties to fasten their FEs to the fish?

Thanks!
I don't know about "most", but we do.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #36
neg58
DIS Veteran

It isn't nice to take things that are clearly left as decorations, and it is terrible if people do it just to be mean like the teens who documented their rampage.

But would you leave other valuables unattended? I know people pay a lot for the personalized FEs, but would you leave a $20 towel unattended on the deck, or an ipod on a table?

I was going to bring some of our Disney magnets on our first cruise, including one I've had for 14 years with the Disneyland castle and a picture of my then 3 year old on her first trip to Disney. When I heard the magnets sometimes disappear, I decided to leave it at home because while it only cost $5, it means something to me. We use an inexpensive tote bag decorated with Mickeys for a FE and our magnets are mostly FE gifts we've collected. Some of the bottlecaps don't stick well, and I'm sure more than one has fallen off and been kicked down the hallway. In fact, on the Wonder, a lot of the magnets weren't strong enough to hold through 10 years of paint, even on the inside of the door.

FE and decorating the doors is supposed to be a fun game. If it stops being fun, don't do it, because who wants to spend their vacation worrying about theft or coming back to the cabin and getting made about missing magnets.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Just an FYI... If anyone is worried about theft, decorate the inside of the door instead. No one will steal them and you can still enjoy them.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #38
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post
this is really so sad.....I'm also concerned because our cabin is right near the laundry room, so probably a lot of traffic. Really, just what's wrong with people?
We are by an elevator and I thought the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
UGH! ....I also don't want to be on an excursion wondering if our FE stuff is being ransacked....I really would rather skip the whole thing than be totally buzzkilled if someone jacked our FE stuff. Magnets, eh, whatever. But FE! That really sucks.
I made magnets that are not necessarily for keeping, so I don't mind them being taken, but I do have issue with the gifts that others put effort into making for another person. Rudeness...still no cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
Just an FYI... If anyone is worried about theft, decorate the inside of the door instead. No one will steal them and you can still enjoy them.
You are exactly right!!

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

So far we've only had dvc magnets on our cruises. The first cruise, my kids were younger, I had put their magnets above the circle so it looked liked a Mickey head and one was stolen They were pretty Upset) I got it replaced and packed both away.

Making some this year!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: