Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

Target 5% back--does it work with Disney gift cards?

Yesterday, I was offered yet again a Target Red Card "which would save you 5% on all of your purchases," when checking out at my local Target. I politely shook my head no like I do every time I'm offered one, but the cashier (who knows me from the multiple times I'm in there) said, "Really? There's no reason not to get one. It's tied directly to your debit card." I didn't have time to check it out, but if that's the case, since I use my debit card exclusively at Target, and since I shop there all of the time, it certainly would make sense to get one if it works exactly the same as my debit card, right?

So anyway, I still owe about $2k on our upcoming June vacation and was planning to get a few additional gift cards for restaurants when we're not on the dining plan. Am I able to buy the rest of our vacation on gift cards and save 5% on the gift cards?

Also, if something major came up and we had to cancel the vacation, I'm assuming that Disney would refund to the gift cards. If I'm within Target's return timeframe of 90 days (which I would be), is it possible to return gift cards and get a refund? This is the only downside I see to buying the rest of the vacation on gift cards as opposed to cash.
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
detarica
Mouseketeer

Target Red card

The cashier is right that this card is a No-brainer. I saved over $100 last year just by using this card. I am not sure about Disney gift card because it says that it excludes "Target Gift Cards and pre-paid cards" in their rules. You might try it on one if you were going to buy one anyway.
detarica is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
KELLY
DIS Veteran

it worked on my dGc last week.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
upstateNYdad
Earning My Ears

Yes

You end up getting charged $47.50 for a $50.00 gift card. No brainer if going to Disney World. You save 5% off your trip, if you can't find better gift card discounts.
upstateNYdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

Thanks! Does anyone know if, for some reason, you decide to cancel the trip and Disney puts the money back on the gift card if you can take the gift cards back to Target and get a refund? I looked on Target's site and found that they will refund unused Target gift cards with a receipt if within the 90 days from date of purchase, and I figure the same would be true for 3rd party gift cards, right?

NYdad, do you know places that offer a greater discount, by chance?
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
fanoftigger
Mouseketeer

I don't know the answer to your question about refunding 3rd party gift/entertainment cards.

As someone else noted, you do get the 5% discount on Disney gift cards when you use your Target RedCard. I have the debit card version and have used it for Disney cards.

Target has something where you can get a 5% discount from Pharmacy Rewards in addition to your 5% RedCard discount. I think you earn the additional discount after a certain # of prescriptions or transferred prescriptions.

Last year I received a certificate in the mail for an additional 5% discount, it was some promo they were running.

Various grocery store chains often promotions throughout the year related to gift cards. I've never been able to take advantage of those because they aren't chains we have here, but I've seen posts about them.
fanoftigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoftigger View Post
I don't know the answer to your question about refunding 3rd party gift/entertainment cards.

As someone else noted, you do get the 5% discount on Disney gift cards when you use your Target RedCard. I have the debit card version and have used it for Disney cards.

Target has something where you can get a 5% discount from Pharmacy Rewards in addition to your 5% RedCard discount. I think you earn the additional discount after a certain # of prescriptions or transferred prescriptions.

Last year I received a certificate in the mail for an additional 5% discount, it was some promo they were running.

Various grocery store chains often promotions throughout the year related to gift cards. I've never been able to take advantage of those because they aren't chains we have here, but I've seen posts about them.
Yes, you can combine the prescription reward 5% and the card 5%. You get a 5% coupon after every 5 prescriptions you pay for with your target card. They also send discount coupons for gift cards in the packets they send out from time to time.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
AnnaNonamus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybdis View Post
Thanks! Does anyone know if, for some reason, you decide to cancel the trip and Disney puts the money back on the gift card if you can take the gift cards back to Target and get a refund? I looked on Target's site and found that they will refund unused Target gift cards with a receipt if within the 90 days from date of purchase, and I figure the same would be true for 3rd party gift cards, right?

NYdad, do you know places that offer a greater discount, by chance?
When I worked at Target, gift cards were non-refundable from 3rd parties due to the process of authenticating what is on them, and it's harder to cancel the number on them. Each gift card has a number- without being able to cut it off, there isn't much to stop someone from refunding it, but using the number to make an online purchase.

It has been several years, though.
CBR - 10/20/13-10/28/13 - Free Dining Girls Trip!
AnnaNonamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
SEC71
Mouseketeer

Does the Target Red debit card just replace your existing debit card with your bank?
SEC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC71 View Post
Does the Target Red debit card just replace your existing debit card with your bank?
No - it's an additional one - works only at Target.
I have it and LOVE it.
And yes - I have been buying the $50 Disney Gift cards and been getting the 5% off.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

Just keep in mind that you can only redeem 2 gift cards at a time on the phone. I ran into this last year and had to drive 90 minutes to a Disney store to buy my park tickets with the gift cards.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
WL - 10/15
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
Just keep in mind that you can only redeem 2 gift cards at a time on the phone. I ran into this last year and had to drive 90 minutes to a Disney store to buy my park tickets with the gift cards.
We just booked our trip with 2 $25 gift cards + 3 $50 gift cards over the phone a few weeks ago.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Micday
DIS Veteran

I just used 33- $50 Disney GC's to finish paying for our trip! ( I called Target and was told they had $500 GC but they did not, only $50. I live 40 minutes from Target, manager rang me up.) The CM was super sweet, did this two days ago. Probably depends on the CM you get?

DH....... me....... DD
Micday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
MorganK
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
I used 17 gift cards at once over the phone less than 2 weeks ago, not an issue at all.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
MorganK
Earning My Ears

One thing I've also done to avoid buying too many cards is wait until the night before we check out, run out to Target (took me about 15 min each way) and buy however much we had charged to our KTTW card and then paid with the Target GC's to get a $0 balance. I guess it only works if you have your own vehicle, but my DH is down for saving as much as possible (as am I), so it works for us!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: