Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #76
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
I understand the allergy concern and certainly wouldn't want you to have to go to the ER. Not a fun vacation activity for sure. Why don't you just note the allergy in the ADR and tell them no peanut sauce for the table? They will happily do that for you and then you won't have to worry!
I don't mind so much for us and everyone at our table would understand. It's just too concerning for me now because peanut sauce is so prevalent at this restaurant. If someone has touched the sauce, then touch the handle to the bathroom, I touch the handle, I could break out in a rash ect For us, it's just too stressful We always note the allergy and usually it's not too bad in most places but this make us worry last time. Now they almost everyone will be having noodles with the peanut sauce, I'd be too worried to really enjoy the meal. We'll skip dinner and do breakfast. We love Stitch anyway!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #77
tavettava
DIS Veteran

I wonder if they still have the gluten free teriyaki sauce. Her plain rice wouldn't be very good with no sauce (can't have the peanut because it has gluten in it.)
April-May 2009 AKL Villa DVC
November 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort

Dh Me Dd ds

tavettava is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #78
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavettava View Post
I wonder if they still have the gluten free teriyaki sauce. Her plain rice wouldn't be very good with no sauce (can't have the peanut because it has gluten in it.)
The peanut sauce is the only sauce available now at Ohana. Apparently it you can't have the sauce, the noodles have nothing on them.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #79
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Wow, I can't believe how many people dislike mango and papaya, two of the greatest fruits to ever exist.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #80
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavettava View Post
I suspect that it will be available for those who have allergies but will not be offered unless dealing with the chef for said allergies. They will still have it in the Kona kitchen so I don't know why they wouldn't offer it for those of us with allergies. I hope so anyway. This would I hope be true for anybody who can't have the peanut sauce due to allergies. I guess we'll have to wait for a report from somebody with allergies to find out. I'm considering adding an 'Ohana dinner ADR to our upcoming trip so I think I'll ask the Special Diets department if I do manage to get the ADR.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #81
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I don't mind so much for us and everyone at our table would understand. It's just too concerning for me now because peanut sauce is so prevalent at this restaurant. If someone has touched the sauce, then touch the handle to the bathroom, I touch the handle, I could break out in a rash ect For us, it's just too stressful We always note the allergy and usually it's not too bad in most places but this make us worry last time. Now they almost everyone will be having noodles with the peanut sauce, I'd be too worried to really enjoy the meal. We'll skip dinner and do breakfast. We love Stitch anyway!
You would have had this concern before, because they have always served peanut sauce.

Does anyone actually know if they will offer an alternate sauce for allergies, or is it being assumed that they will not?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #82
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellybutton View Post
They have always had peanut sauce. Did you eat there with your son in the past? I don' t understand why you would feel you cannot eat there because of one sauce. Can your son not eat meat without sauce?

I have a son who can't eat poultry or seafood, that never has (and never will) stop us from eating at ohana's, or any place really. There is so much to eat at ohana's that I can't see why those with a peanut allergy feel they can't eat here any longer. I just don't understand I guess.
When we go to 'ohanas, we just tell them to bring out the other sauces but leave off the peanut sauce. I don't find not being able to use the sauce necessarily a deal breaker, but I do find it a little inconsiderate since it is one of the most popular allergens. I personally like having sauce for my meat. Can I do without? Sure, but I also haven't had to when I was there. I guess I see it the same as some people having to have ketchup with any kind of meat. Some people will not want to eat at certain places if they have to do without.
It's just personal preference.
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #83
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

I'm excited for the changes. We won't be there until March so we might not get to experience them. The salad and veggies sound great. I always thought the broccoli needed to be swapped for something else. I love the peanut sauce, too!!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #84
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You would have had this concern before, because they have always served peanut sauce.

Does anyone actually know if they will offer an alternate sauce for allergies, or is it being assumed that they will not?
I guess it's being assume right now. WDW usually does a great job accommodating allergies, so I wonder if they will have a back up plan for those with allergies to the sauce? I understand sometimes it's simply avoiding the sauce, but I wonder since you use it on so many things if they will have a separate solution for this. So this could potentially affect several groups. I'm just anxious to see what they decide after the trial period. Even then, I will probably still give it a go and see what I think. I don't want to pass unfair judgment if all would still be great (and I don't want my family to miss out on their favorite place)!
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #85
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
The reason why we wouldn't eat there for dinner now, is because it isn't just that I couldn't have the peanut sauce. It's that everyone dining at our table couldn't have it and I wouldn't expect everyone to have noodles with NO sauce. For me, it isn't just eating it that will make me ill, if they touch the sauce, and touch me, I'll break out in a rash. If they breathe over me, it's a trip to the ER. If I eat it, it's a trip to the ER. We only ever ate at Ohana once for dinner and enjoyed it but never again.
The noodles are teriyaki noodles so they already have a sauce on them.

And there is still broccoli in the stir fry vegetables.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #86
jalaine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The peanut sauce is the only sauce available now at Ohana. Apparently it you can't have the sauce, the noodles have nothing on them.
I think people are talking about the *separate* dish of peanut sauce that got served alongside the food. The noodles won't be plain, they're in a teriyaki type sauce I believe. The noodles were never covered in a peanut sauce I don't think
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #87
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nothing will have changed as far as your concerns about people touching handles, etc. It's always been the most "popular" sauce, so why would it be any different to you now? Maybe you just didn't enjoy it as much anyway, because your reasons are the same as before.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #88
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if they still drizzle the sweet and sour sauce on the potstickers?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #89
fbb
Mouseketeer

I always come into the 'Ohana menu change thread like a kid on Christmas morning, hoping to see the potatoes back.

fbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #90
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Does anyone know if they still drizzle the sweet and sour sauce on the potstickers?
Yes, they were drizzled with sweet and sour sauce last Sunday.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: