Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
kristinanderic
DIS Veteran

Any experience with TSA and a insulin pump?

We will be flying in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with TSA and insulin pumps at the airport.

I read online that sometimes the metal detectors can ruin the software and we should request a letter from his doctor asking it to be hand inspected.

Any advice from experienced travelers would be appreciated, my husband has been avoiding flying ever since he acquired his pump.

~Numerous trips since 1982, lots of stays at Fort-wilderness~ ~Coronado Springs February 2000~ ~All Star Sports March 2002~ ~Pop Century January 2004~ ~Pop Century January 2007~ ~Pop Century February 2009~ ~DISNEY DREAM 2/13/2011!!!~

Upcoming Trips:
February 12, 2012 Pop Century!
February 3, 2013 Disney Dream!

kristinanderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Yes, yes I do.

First of all, the metal detector will not harm the pump. However, the manufacturers do not recommend that your pump be placed through the X-ray. That includes Back Scatters. If your DH is asked go through a back scatter or body imaging device, he will have to take off his pump and have it inspected along with all of his carry-ons.

My DD wears her pump through the metal detector. She has flown several times since she has had her pump. She wears her pump in a cloth pouch, not on a metal clip. She has never set the metal detector off. We have decided, because it was very disturbing to my DD, not to tell TSA that she wears a pump. All of her diabetes supplies go through the x-ray and TSA agents don't even look twice at it. We have never needed a doctor's note. I'm sure pumps are something TSA agents see every day.

Worst case, if his pump sets off an alarm, TSA will hand inspect the pump and all of your DH's carry on bags. If your DH asks for a manual check of the pump, he will have his belongings checked.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
ccemtperic
Earning My Ears

I am on a insulin pump as well and per Medtronic which is the maker of my pump you can not go through the scanner as it will shut the pump down. With that being said I had no problems being hand patted and not being sent near the X-ray machine. Even in port on and on the fantasy I had no problems.
ccemtperic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
kristinanderic
DIS Veteran

He has a Medtronic pump as well, he has been through metal detectors before and has been fine...but I assume the TSA detectors are stronger?

~Numerous trips since 1982, lots of stays at Fort-wilderness~ ~Coronado Springs February 2000~ ~All Star Sports March 2002~ ~Pop Century January 2004~ ~Pop Century January 2007~ ~Pop Century February 2009~ ~DISNEY DREAM 2/13/2011!!!~

Upcoming Trips:

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
kristinanderic
DIS Veteran

I found this online, it appears your both accurate.

http://www.loop-blog.com/blog/TSA-Sc...with-Diabetes#

Upcoming Trips:

Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
ccemtperic
Earning My Ears

I was told with this new pump which I received in August 2012 if I went through the scanners it would void my warranty on the pump.
ccemtperic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I would say the safest bet would be to ask the agent when you put your stuff through the X-Ray for a pat down. Let them know you have an insulin pump. It will take about 5 minutes longer for TSA screening (quick pat down) as they will usually "swab test" your bag. Basically they take your bag, run a little piece of cloth all over it, stick on a machine that sniffs it for bomb / gun residue, and away you go.

Clint
Former Flight Attendant
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
chrisd596
DIS Veteran

Son has been going through the security machines at the airports for over 10 years and never had a problem with his pump. He has a Metronic pump.
chrisd596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Couchy
DIS Veteran

I have a Medtronic pump and fly several times a year. I put it through the scanner and have never had an issue at all.

Sometimes I get stopped for a hand swab sometimes no stop. If he gets stopped it is literally less than a minute process

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: