Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
Is your discount for only 1 room or for your entire party? What about booking 2 connecting verandah rooms?

Our discount is per person for everyone but the 2 yr. Although she (and anyone else that comes) still gets 10% off since we OBB a few rooms which we could use for this trip.

Yes, if we don't do concierge, we will do connecting veranda rooms. The frustration is to do that, two of the kids will have to be paid for at full adult price.

The real rub is we wish we knew someone to share the rooms with as bringing 2 more adults is cheaper for them and us. But it is hard to find someone who:

a. is willing to go.
b. someone who can go at the same time.
c. is willing to pay.
d. is willing to share a room
e. (and most important) someone who you would be willing to spend the vacation with.

I am the type of person who likes to look at all the angles before making a decision. Posing the question here has helped me flesh out this idea. I was 50-50, but now starting to lean against the concierge....but I am still not sure.

Last edited by mmcxiiad; 01-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

I'm with you...I weigh ALL of the options before I make a decision.
I just know that we don't feel like the perks of concierge are worth what you get, and for what you spend, you could still book the 2 connecting verandahs probably cheaper, depending on the sailing date.
We just got off the 3 night DVC Member Cruise, we were considering doing the 4 night Member Cruise in September, but if we go on the Fantasy 7 night the exact same week, we can have a nicer room for less than the DVC cruise. I didn't feel that the "perks and gifts" offered on the DVC cruise were worth the cost, so we're booking the Fantasy instead.
Good luck with your decision!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
I didn't feel that the "perks and gifts" offered on the DVC cruise were worth the cost, so we're booking the Fantasy instead.
As a DVC owner too, I have wondered what was included in the member cruise. What are the so called perks and gifts?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #19
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Hmmm, a one BR sleeps 5, and I think that would be based on number of berths for the lifeboat stations. Wouldn't that be a factor, or no?
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post
Hmmm, a one BR sleeps 5, and I think that would be based on number of berths for the lifeboat stations. Wouldn't that be a factor, or no?
If 5 people are allowed in the room and we bring an additional baby to the boat too.... I doubt it would be an issue. That boat has to big enough to accommodate all the passengers as if they were all adults.

Obviously everyone is supposed to go to their assigned location, but, depending on the crisis that may not be possible. Due to the conditions, people may not be able to get to the lifeboat station they are assigned. In a case like that they would get relocated to other boats. Which they are made to handle.

Fortunately, the odds are HIGHLY against any of those situations occurring. But it is important to be prepared non the less.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's an interesting question......
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
No. It varies by cruise. DCL cannot sell every berth in each room on each cruise. There are always empty beds in each station. That does not mean there would be empty seats on the lifeboat in that station. Having the different sleeping configurations allows some flexibility with placing guests when they make their reservations. This becomes more apparent as the cruise fills up. When people are not able to book 4 in a room that sleeps four, it is because the station is reaching maximum capacity. DCL would have to hold 2 spots per room at a minimum. They allow a certain number of 5's & 4's to book. Once those numbers are maxed out, they limit each room to 3 or 2. It's a money thing also. DCL makes much more on the 1st & 2nd passenger fare compared to the 3rd, 4th & 5th guests.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
If 5 people are allowed in the room and we bring an additional baby to the boat too.... I doubt it would be an issue. That boat has to big enough to accommodate all the passengers as if they were all adults.

Obviously everyone is supposed to go to their assigned location, but, depending on the crisis that may not be possible. Due to the conditions, people may not be able to get to the lifeboat station they are assigned. In a case like that they would get relocated to other boats. Which they are made to handle.

Fortunately, the odds are HIGHLY against any of those situations occurring. But it is important to be prepared non the less.
In order for the baby to board this ship, the baby would have to be listed on the reservation, which in this instance would make 6. If the room is capacity of 5 the reservation would not be made. Show up at the port with a baby not on the reservation, someone will lose their money and stay with the baby as the ship sails away.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post
In order for the baby to board this ship, the baby would have to be listed on the reservation, which in this instance would make 6. If the room is capacity of 5 the reservation would not be made. Show up at the port with a baby not on the reservation, someone will lose their money and stay with the baby as the ship sails away.
not sure why you thought we were talking about not paying for a person, i guess you haven't read the whole thread. We were talking about sleeping in a different room and bringing the baby to a different lifeboat to get off the ship if we were being evacuated.

Last edited by mmcxiiad; 01-17-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Am I the only one stunned by this thread?
Book cat 11, stay cat T.
Not even mentioning the obvious lifeboat/safety issues.
It's only a few more bucks after the first two for any cabin, including suites.
I get it with families, stay where you want, within a cat or two, but, 6 or 7 cat upgrade?
This thread went opposite of what I thought.

It's OK .......... I stand down.
Life is good.

Last edited by Bear3412; 01-17-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #26
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Am I the only one stunned by this thread?
Book cat 11, stay cat T.
Not even mentioning the obvious lifeboat/safety issues.
It's only a few more bucks after the first two for any cabin, including suites.
I get it with families, stay where you want, within a cat or two, but, 6 or 7 cat upgrade?

It's OK .......... I stand down.
Life is good though.

I would've had more of an issue, but the OP didn't talk about the whole family using the concierge lounge (go to the concierge reception, try to check in all together at concierge, etc) when the whole family didn't pay for it. If 6 people used the lounge (etc) while only 2 paid for it, I would take umbrage with that. But as far as I could tell, they were only talking about sleeping in a different location.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #27
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would've had more of an issue, but the OP didn't talk about the whole family using the concierge lounge (go to the concierge reception, try to check in all together at concierge, etc) when the whole family didn't pay for it. If 6 people used the lounge (etc) while only 2 paid for it, I would take umbrage with that. But as far as I could tell, they were only talking about sleeping in a different location.
Yes, that is what I was thinking. Once we got on the boat (if only 2 paid for the concierge room) I would switch my son and my wife so she and I could use the amenities... Since I did pay for two people, I don't think it matters which two, so long as it is the same two the entire trip.

I had no intention of gaming the system to get us all the concierge perks without paying for them. My primary question though was could we all sleep in the room.

Of course, as I stated a few posts back, if we brought the Nanny, it would be different. I would put everyone but one child in the concierge room... say put the 4 year old in the other room. At that point, I would expect that they would let it slide since it is just a child who would barely utylize any of of the concierge perks.

Honestly, I was just really hoping to get us all in a nicer room.... though i am leaning far more to getting two family veranda rooms and just save the extra money.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
Yes, that is what I was thinking..... .
Don't be defensive - please !
You explained your questions / intentions / wishes well in great English, better than I could have mine.
I appreciate and envy those posts.
I only wish I reciprocated and considered such approved tactics prior to my booking.

It's all good.

Last edited by Bear3412; 01-17-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #29
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank goodness for that.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #30
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Don't be defensive - please !
You explained your intentions / wishes well in great English, better than I could have mine.
I appreciate and envy those posts.
I only wish I reciprocated and considered such approved tactics prior to my booking.

It's all good.
Thanks.

What I love about forums is it is a great change to get a lot if info from many people quickly. I appreciate all the help I have gotten here about this, and many other things in the past.

The downside of forums, is sometimes it is hard to read the intent of someone else, which could make it difficult to understand other.

In this case, I just wanted to verify what my intentions were as no one who has, or will in the future read this and get the wrong idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: