Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
sgc1107
sgc1107

Help booking dummy date??

How far out can you book a dummy date?

If I book a dummy date onboard will I still get 10% off, 10% down, and $200 OBC (7night)?

Is it worth booking a dummy date onboard if I may not cruise till 2016? I know they only release about a year in advance do I'd have to move the date several times!

Just wondering if its worth the "perks" of OBB for a dummy date? I've booked onboard before but never a dummy date so I don't know how this really works.

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Yes, it's worth it. Just like any other online booking. You don't have to tell them it's a dummy date. We call them dummy dates here because we know it's a cruise we have no intention of sailing.

Just pick any cheap 3 nt cruise. Once more dates get released you can move it again. The deposit is 50% of what it would be on land bookings but still it's a % of the total. That's why I look for cheap price and not necessarily the latest date.

You just have to pay attention to the final payment due date. If it passes and you forget to move your res to a later date, you lose your res & deposit.

It's always nice to keep a dummy date or 2 in your back pocket.
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Jblever
Earning My Ears

Dummy Dates

So how many times will Disney let you change a reservation?
Jblever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblever View Post
So how many times will Disney let you change a reservation?
As often as you like! No fees though I have heard Costco charges a fee so if one uses Costco for a TA for the credits/perks, I would book direct with DCL or find a TA that doesn't charge fees. Mine doesn't.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2
Yes, it's worth it. Just like any other online booking. You don't have to tell them it's a dummy date. We call them dummy dates here because we know it's a cruise we have no intention of sailing.

Just pick any cheap 3 nt cruise. Once more dates get released you can move it again. The deposit is 50% of what it would be on land bookings but still it's a % of the total. That's why I look for cheap price and not necessarily the latest date.

You just have to pay attention to the final payment due date. If it passes and you forget to move your res to a later date, you lose your res & deposit.

It's always nice to keep a dummy date or 2 in your back pocket.
So even if I know I want to do a 7 night book a random (cheap price) 3 night? Confused a bit? When dates are released will that mean I can change it to a 7 night and the discounts (10% off, 10% down, and OBC) will be adjusted? And I can make small payment over time even if I move the date correct? Also is there a limit on how many times I can change the date?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2

As often as you like! No fees though I have heard Costco charges a fee so if one uses Costco for a TA for the credits/perks, I would book direct with DCL or find a TA that doesn't charge fees. Mine doesn't.
Lol I guess you were answering this question while I was typing mine :-) do you know if DU is one that charges fees for moved dates? Or will it be best to not list s TA then when date is decided transfer it to them?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
Lol I guess you were answering this question while I was typing mine :-) do you know if DU is one that charges fees for moved dates? Or will it be best to not list s TA then when date is decided transfer it to them?
I've never used DU but I hear good things and never heard anyone mention change fees. If you don't name a TA while onboard, it's considered a transfer. That means DCL gives the TA a lower comission which ultimately means a lower OBC for that res. With my TA the OBC is around 1/2 of what it would be if I name her while onboard.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So even if I know I want to do a 7 night book a random (cheap price) 3 night? Confused a bit? When dates are released will that mean I can change it to a 7 night and the discounts (10% off, 10% down, and OBC) will be adjusted? And I can make small payment over time even if I move the date correct? Also is there a limit on how many times I can change the date?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

The OBC will be whatever the then-current OBC offer for a 7-nt cruise and other OBB perks as well. Currently that's $200 but of course that could change.
Just because you book originally as a 3nt, doesn't mean you're locked into a $100 OBC.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
sgc1107
sgc1107

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
You're welcome!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

We were very up front with the CM when we booked our dummy cruise. They don't care. They just want you to book something, anything. We were on a 4-night at the time. We booked a 5-night in 2012 and ended up switching to a 7-night in 2013. I had them transfer the reservation to my TA at Small World Vacations too. No problems. When I got home I emailed her to confirm she got the information and when I was ready to switch my cruise dates I emailed her (right before the final payment was due for the dummy date) and she switched it. We leave March 30th on the Fantasy.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS
We were very up front with the CM when we booked our dummy cruise. They don't care. They just want you to book something, anything. We were on a 4-night at the time. We booked a 5-night in 2012 and ended up switching to a 7-night in 2013. I had them transfer the reservation to my TA at Small World Vacations too. No problems. When I got home I emailed her to confirm she got the information and when I was ready to switch my cruise dates I emailed her (right before the final payment was due for the dummy date) and she switched it. We leave March 30th on the Fantasy.
This. On our MR last spring we requested a 3-night in Dec 2013 on the drop-off card. We got back a confirmation, assigned to our TA, and our original card tucked in the envelope with "dummy date" written on it. LOL.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
DisneyMom2008
Mouseketeer

DU does not charge to move dates. I have moved once and will move again later this year.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
sgc1107
sgc1107

Thanks everyone!! Think I may book two!! Will I still her the perks on both?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: