Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
sgc1107
sgc1107
 
sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 619

Help booking dummy date??

How far out can you book a dummy date?

If I book a dummy date onboard will I still get 10% off, 10% down, and $200 OBC (7night)?

Is it worth booking a dummy date onboard if I may not cruise till 2016? I know they only release about a year in advance do I'd have to move the date several times!

Just wondering if its worth the "perks" of OBB for a dummy date? I've booked onboard before but never a dummy date so I don't know how this really works.
__________________




sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Yes, it's worth it. Just like any other online booking. You don't have to tell them it's a dummy date. We call them dummy dates here because we know it's a cruise we have no intention of sailing.

Just pick any cheap 3 nt cruise. Once more dates get released you can move it again. The deposit is 50% of what it would be on land bookings but still it's a % of the total. That's why I look for cheap price and not necessarily the latest date.

You just have to pay attention to the final payment due date. If it passes and you forget to move your res to a later date, you lose your res & deposit.

It's always nice to keep a dummy date or 2 in your back pocket.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Jblever
Earning My Ears
 
Jblever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 18

Dummy Dates

So how many times will Disney let you change a reservation?
Jblever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblever View Post
So how many times will Disney let you change a reservation?
As often as you like! No fees though I have heard Costco charges a fee so if one uses Costco for a TA for the credits/perks, I would book direct with DCL or find a TA that doesn't charge fees. Mine doesn't.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
sgc1107
sgc1107
 
sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2
Yes, it's worth it. Just like any other online booking. You don't have to tell them it's a dummy date. We call them dummy dates here because we know it's a cruise we have no intention of sailing.

Just pick any cheap 3 nt cruise. Once more dates get released you can move it again. The deposit is 50% of what it would be on land bookings but still it's a % of the total. That's why I look for cheap price and not necessarily the latest date.

You just have to pay attention to the final payment due date. If it passes and you forget to move your res to a later date, you lose your res & deposit.

It's always nice to keep a dummy date or 2 in your back pocket.
So even if I know I want to do a 7 night book a random (cheap price) 3 night? Confused a bit? When dates are released will that mean I can change it to a 7 night and the discounts (10% off, 10% down, and OBC) will be adjusted? And I can make small payment over time even if I move the date correct? Also is there a limit on how many times I can change the date?

Sorry for all the questions :-)
__________________




sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
sgc1107
sgc1107
 
sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2

As often as you like! No fees though I have heard Costco charges a fee so if one uses Costco for a TA for the credits/perks, I would book direct with DCL or find a TA that doesn't charge fees. Mine doesn't.
Lol I guess you were answering this question while I was typing mine :-) do you know if DU is one that charges fees for moved dates? Or will it be best to not list s TA then when date is decided transfer it to them?
__________________




sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
Lol I guess you were answering this question while I was typing mine :-) do you know if DU is one that charges fees for moved dates? Or will it be best to not list s TA then when date is decided transfer it to them?
I've never used DU but I hear good things and never heard anyone mention change fees. If you don't name a TA while onboard, it's considered a transfer. That means DCL gives the TA a lower comission which ultimately means a lower OBC for that res. With my TA the OBC is around 1/2 of what it would be if I name her while onboard.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
So even if I know I want to do a 7 night book a random (cheap price) 3 night? Confused a bit? When dates are released will that mean I can change it to a 7 night and the discounts (10% off, 10% down, and OBC) will be adjusted? And I can make small payment over time even if I move the date correct? Also is there a limit on how many times I can change the date?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

The OBC will be whatever the then-current OBC offer for a 7-nt cruise and other OBB perks as well. Currently that's $200 but of course that could change.
Just because you book originally as a 3nt, doesn't mean you're locked into a $100 OBC.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
sgc1107
sgc1107
 
sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 619

Thanks for your help!
__________________




sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
Thanks for your help!
You're welcome!
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk
 
DLBDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NC
Posts: 5,185

We were very up front with the CM when we booked our dummy cruise. They don't care. They just want you to book something, anything. We were on a 4-night at the time. We booked a 5-night in 2012 and ended up switching to a 7-night in 2013. I had them transfer the reservation to my TA at Small World Vacations too. No problems. When I got home I emailed her to confirm she got the information and when I was ready to switch my cruise dates I emailed her (right before the final payment was due for the dummy date) and she switched it. We leave March 30th on the Fantasy.
__________________
March/April 2014 Contemporary (4627 10th Floor MK View)
March/April 2013 Disney Fantasy
(9674)
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS
We were very up front with the CM when we booked our dummy cruise. They don't care. They just want you to book something, anything. We were on a 4-night at the time. We booked a 5-night in 2012 and ended up switching to a 7-night in 2013. I had them transfer the reservation to my TA at Small World Vacations too. No problems. When I got home I emailed her to confirm she got the information and when I was ready to switch my cruise dates I emailed her (right before the final payment was due for the dummy date) and she switched it. We leave March 30th on the Fantasy.
This. On our MR last spring we requested a 3-night in Dec 2013 on the drop-off card. We got back a confirmation, assigned to our TA, and our original card tucked in the envelope with "dummy date" written on it. LOL.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
DisneyMom2008
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyMom2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Romeoville,IL
Posts: 232

DU does not charge to move dates. I have moved once and will move again later this year.
__________________
DisneyMom2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
sgc1107
sgc1107
 
sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 619

Thanks everyone!! Think I may book two!! Will I still her the perks on both?
__________________




sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.