Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
kanakoswoman
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16

Question Disney Cruise or Disney Resort

hi all, Planning a trip (my birthday gift) with the family (2 adults and 2 kids ( 5 & 7) and trying to decide if the cruise is the way go, or a resort at Disney???? e

They have been on a cruise to Alaska when they were much younger and they have been to Disney for their Aunt's 60th Birthday when they were younger too. But it looks like it's gonna cost about the same money either way you look at it.

Animal Kingdom looks great for them, but the cruise seems like a lot of fun too.

What do you guys suggest? This will probably be the last Disney trip, since my hubby really isn't a Disney fan or a cruise fan either. But, since it's what I asked for my birthday gift - he can't complain about it.

thanks
__________________

Margaret

www.kanakosfamily.blogspot.com
kanakoswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

I would go for the cruise, no question. But I am also a Disneyland AP who cannot stand heat or long lines, so WDW sounds like torture to me. I will have to go eventually, because my husband wants to go and my kids will want to one day, too, but we're not going until we afford to tack on a cruise afterwards so I can recover.

If it's YOUR birthday, do the cruise so you can relax and be on vacation, too.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran
 
lovetotraveltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,007

I too would choose the cruise. Both are great! But, the cruise will feel more like a vacation for you. Your kids will have an awesome time and get a lot of Disney and you'll feel pampered and have an opportunity for some adult moments!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
havaneselover
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,452

Although I love both, I say DCL for the following reasons.

1) Fewer lines

2) Even in the cheapest room, you are pampered the entire time

3) No concern about what to eat when or the cost

4) It is possible for parents to have some grown up time. This is possible at WDW too, but not as easily and at an extra cost

In all, I just feel like I get a better chance to reconnect with my kids on DCL because I'm relaxed. At WDW I feel like I spend a lot of time trying to placate exhausted children which isn't my idea of a dream vacation.
__________________
Me DD 11 DS 9
havaneselover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....
 
MichiganDVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit-ish
Posts: 1,087

Did you also post this question in the regular WDW area of Dis? I have a feeling you'll get a few more "pro-WDW" posts there than in the DCL forum.

To answer that, we probably need a bit more information. For example, if this trip is in late September, I would totally say WDW (shorter lines, a little cooler) than DCL (Hurricane season). If the trip is over Christmas, I would totally say DCL (no hurricanes, prob goes to warm weather) rather than WDW (crowded!, possibly too cold).

All things considered, I have been to WDW probably 25 times in my 35 years and been on zero Disney Cruises. (However, 5 cruises lifetime). I am going on first DCL trip in 75 days and am very excited. But I'm also going to WDW in 35 days.

My go-to advice remains the same: Stay at Beach Club/Yacht club if you can. The pool cannot be beat for kids that age, you are walking distance to TWO parks, and that whole Boardwalk-area probably offers more for a DH that "isn't a Disney fan."

Your kids are almost at that age where they are "too cool" for WDW. Its important to indoctrinate them early, so they have those memories of WDW from when they were young and they'll continue to love it for a lifetime.

As for going on a cruise instead, it would probably be wonderful. So would a cruise on one of those floating cities that Royal Caribbean is putting out! I cannot imagine that DCL is so far and away more magical than RCL. But I CAN say that WDW is unlike any other vacation destination in the United States...and can be awesome if planned well....
__________________





1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,438

I have to agree that you will get more pro DCL opinions here as this is the DCL board and more pro WDW opinions on the WDW board.

I have always loved WDW and went every chance I could...unitil I tried DCL. I still love WDW but love DCL with a passion. I can get my Disney "fix" in an elegant yet casual style and have all my food taken care of, not think of scrambling to make my nightly dinner reservations, seeing all the characters, visting different ports, meeting people from all over, etc.

I love cruising but really love DCL cruising. there is something for everyone.

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
havaneselover
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
Did you also post this question in the regular WDW area of Dis? I have a feeling you'll get a few more "pro-WDW" posts there than in the DCL forum.

To answer that, we probably need a bit more information. For example, if this trip is in late September, I would totally say WDW (shorter lines, a little cooler) than DCL (Hurricane season). If the trip is over Christmas, I would totally say DCL (no hurricanes, prob goes to warm weather) rather than WDW (crowded!, possibly too cold).

All things considered, I have been to WDW probably 25 times in my 35 years and been on zero Disney Cruises. (However, 5 cruises lifetime). I am going on first DCL trip in 75 days and am very excited. But I'm also going to WDW in 35 days.

My go-to advice remains the same: Stay at Beach Club/Yacht club if you can. The pool cannot be beat for kids that age, you are walking distance to TWO parks, and that whole Boardwalk-area probably offers more for a DH that "isn't a Disney fan."

Your kids are almost at that age where they are "too cool" for WDW. Its important to indoctrinate them early, so they have those memories of WDW from when they were young and they'll continue to love it for a lifetime.

As for going on a cruise instead, it would probably be wonderful. So would a cruise on one of those floating cities that Royal Caribbean is putting out! I cannot imagine that DCL is so far and away more magical than RCL. But I CAN say that WDW is unlike any other vacation destination in the United States...and can be awesome if planned well....
People on this board are likely to be more pro DCL, but I would imagine the majority have done both WDW and DCL so they can compare. I would think that a lot of the people on the WDW forum haven't done DCL.

I agree about the Beach Club / Yacht club if it is a warm time of year. Cannot beat that plus the walkability to HS and Epcot is awesome.

I honestly hope 5 and 7 year olds aren't almost at an age where they are too cool for WDW : o
__________________
Me DD 11 DS 9
havaneselover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,036

A lot of decision depends on your personality. Some people are go-go-go and do WDW commando-style, trying to do everything. DH and I are more laid-back, so a relaxing cruise is more our style. Of course some people go-go-go on a cruise too.

With a Disney cruise you get the magic of the mouse but it's not as crowded. And it's not a thrill ride, unless you get into choppy seas.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran
 
kdeans1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I would go for the cruise, no question. But I am also a Disneyland AP who cannot stand heat or long lines, so WDW sounds like torture to me. I will have to go eventually, because my husband wants to go and my kids will want to one day, too, but we're not going until we afford to tack on a cruise afterwards so I can recover.

If it's YOUR birthday, do the cruise so you can relax and be on vacation, too.
I'm in the same thought. Before I moved to WA I lived within 10 minutes of Disneyland (okay maybe 30 minutes with traffic). I would go to DCL when I would lesson plan. But now living farther from DCL and Disney in general, if I'm going on vacation I'd like to not be stressed. Crowds, lines, running around all make me stressed.

What's great about the cruises is you can leave the rest of the world behind. You're far from internet and unless something really bad happens you don't have to call anyone. And DCL has the best of both worlds: Disney but I can read fiction, lounge on a chair facing the ocean, and oh yeah Disney!
__________________
kdeans1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
algae
Mouseketeer
 
algae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanakoswoman View Post
What do you guys suggest? This will probably be the last Disney trip, since my hubby really isn't a Disney fan or a cruise fan either. But, since it's what I asked for my birthday gift - he can't complain about it.
Since it's your gift, go ahead and be a bit selfish, ignore the others and pick what you'd prefer.

If you really want to worry about the other travellers, I'd lean slightly towards the cruise side. It's not a total 24-hour a day immersion into all things Disney and it can be much more enjoyable for non-Disney fans. Most lines are shorter on the ships--none are hour-long waits, but the AquaDuck and dinner lines can come close. All-in-all, the cruise can be a much more relaxing and fun vacation.

If things work out well, the cruise can warm DH up for a trip to WDW in the future
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
rance
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 554

I've done both and in our opinion the cruise did not have the same "magic" as going to DW.

It was great but other then seeing Disney characters didn't feel any different then any other cruise, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Either will be great.
rance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part
 
PrincessTrisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scarborough ON
Posts: 3,735

WDW.

As an adult, I love cruising and the parks now seem so busy and hectic and take so much planning.

However, with a 5 and a 7 year old - I would have to go with the parks - they are a great age (old enough to do almost everything, young enough to continue to see the magic in their eyes).
PrincessTrisha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
jrp115
Earning My Ears
 
jrp115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 29

Cruise hands down both kids agree.....
jrp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
canadiancruisers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 112

My family (my husband and I, our two kids 7 and 4 and my mom 60) just completed our second cruise. We have been to DL a number of times (as recent as June for the opening of Cars land) and WDW twice (before the cruises). Both times everyone in our party confirmed that the cruise is by FAR better. My kids both said that they'd pick the Disney Cruise over any other holiday hands down. There's a magic to a disney cruise with a feeling that it is constantly magical from morning through to night (including sleeping in the "magically" created bunk and bed each night) that hasn't been recreated on any holiday we've been on.
canadiancruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
JnDRader
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Outside Atlanta
Posts: 360

I've only done one cruise but I'd vote cruise in a heart beat. We did the parks often when the kids were young and while they enjoyed it, and we did too, the cruise is so much more relaxing while still being fun. Do the parks in 3 or 4 years when they're better able to handle the delays and long hours.
__________________


JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.