Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

What time does DCL Transpo Open at MCO?

Can anyone please answer this question....and if you are there when they first open, what boarding # you received? Thanks!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Weedy
DIS Veteran

They no longer give boarding #'s at the airport. You will need to pick a PAT (Port Arrival Time) on the Disney web site when your booking window opens.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Can anyone please answer this question....and if you are there when they first open, what boarding # you received? Thanks!
I think it opens at 8:30 (but it could be as early at 8:15).

There is no longer checkin for the cruise at MCO. Your PAT (whatever it was you selected) is tied to your actual boarding number. With DCL transfers you will enter the terminal when you arrive there. But you boarding number will be the same if you checkin earlier than your PAT or at your selected PAT.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

I think the first bus heads out around 9:30 maybe.

I want to say they "open" at 8 or 8:30.

I am sure someone who has cruised recently will have exact times for you though.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

There is no longer checkin for the cruise at MCO. Your PAT (whatever it was you selected) is tied to your actual boarding number. With DCL transfers you will enter the terminal when you arrive there. But you boarding number will be the same if you checkin earlier than your PAT or at your selected PAT.

Well, crude!! So I guess it no longer makes a difference if you take the bus from the airport than a Disney resort? Let me get this straight.....if I arrive at the port earlier than my PAT, I won't be able to board before that time? I know when we cruised with the Dream a few years ago, we had a late PAT, but arrived at the port when they opened (courtsey of our in-laws) and got a low boarding #...are you no longer allowed to do this?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Well, crude!! So I guess it no longer makes a difference if you take the bus from the airport than a Disney resort? Let me get this straight.....if I arrive at the port earlier than my PAT, I won't be able to board before that time? I know when we cruised with the Dream a few years ago, we had a late PAT, but arrived at the port when they opened (courtsey of our in-laws) and got a low boarding #...are you no longer allowed to do this?
If you arrive at the port earlier than your PAT on DCL transfers, you will be allowed to enter the terminal and checkin anyway. However, your boarding number will be the same number, regardless of when you check in, as it's tied to your PAT.

Now, once the actual boarding begins (usually around 11:45) the terminal starts to empty out some. Once the number being announced for boarding catches up with the number being issued at checkin (generally in the 12:30-12:45 time frame) Open boarding is announced. Anyone holding any boarding number may board at this time. So, if your PAT gave you boarding number 21(because you selected a 1:30-2:00 PAT, say) and Open Boarding is announced shortly after number 13 was announced, you will be getting on "early".

If you are Conceirge, you may enter the terminal at any time and board anytime after the boarding process has started (sounds like that's what you had with your in-laws).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Welcome center officially opens at 8:30, but in reality opens about 8:15 (assuming staff is all present and ready).

You will only check in for the bus at the welcome center (boo hiss....I know). Because you are arriving on a DCL bus, you will be admitted to the terminal as soon as your bus arrives and will get in line to check in. First bus departure is 9:30, each following bus when full or 30 minutes later, whichever comes first. So second bus could be as late as 10 or as early as 9:35.

Check in at terminal, get boarding number based on PAT. However, boarding goes really quickly once it starts. It is very likely that you won't have to wait as long as you might think.

Example--Magic....boarding card number 8 was boarding 18 minutes after family of the day. Not long at all to wait!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys! This might be a deciding factor whether to go the Hyatt route vs the WDW route. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bus' don't usually pick up t the resorts until around 11:00-1:00 right? If it's open boarding when we get there, I guess it'd be no biggie, we don't plan on trying to make any special reservations....just wanted to make it early for a good lunch and a short rest before the launch party!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

This is an email I received in response to picking a PAT if getting the shuttle from MCO:

In reviewing our reservation system, I see you have purchased Disney
Cruise Line Ground Transportation. In this instance, you are not
required to enter a 'Port Arrival Time' since you will be taking the
motor coach transportation from the airport.

If the system still requires that you enter a time, pick the earliest
one that is offered.

The Port Arrival Time is designed to alleviate congestion and allows for
an optimum embarkation experience for all Guests. Please be aware, it is
not the time you will embark the ship. It is only the time to arrive at
the cruise terminal. Embarkation still begins approximately 1:00pm.
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Last week, they did not open until 9:00 AM. Bus arrived at about 9:25 loaded up and left about 9:35 arrived at the Port around 10:15 which was very early, we were able to enter the building, but they were not prepared for a bus that early and check-in took quite some time as there were only about two stations open. They started boarding the ship at 11:15 which was also very early. We had boarding group 8 and were still onboard by 11:40.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDave View Post
This is an email I received in response to picking a PAT if getting the shuttle from MCO:

In reviewing our reservation system, I see you have purchased Disney
Cruise Line Ground Transportation. In this instance, you are not
required to enter a 'Port Arrival Time' since you will be taking the
motor coach transportation from the airport.

If the system still requires that you enter a time, pick the earliest
one that is offered.

The Port Arrival Time is designed to alleviate congestion and allows for
an optimum embarkation experience for all Guests. Please be aware, it is
not the time you will embark the ship. It is only the time to arrive at
the cruise terminal. Embarkation still begins approximately 1:00pm.
This is one of the standard e-mails they send. I have not seen embarkation begin after 12 for over 10 years and 20+ DCL cruises. In reality, embarkation begins when they are ready, which is typically 11:45, but I've personally seen as early as 11:30 and others have reported even earlier.

And yes, you have to select an arrival time to complete on line registration (love the way they say "IF") unless you are platinum or concierge.

As usual, this is another example of the smoke screen that DCL puts out. At the risk of being overly cynical, if you want to know how DCL SAYS things are, listen to their pre-recorded messages, read their e-mails and press releases, etc. If you want to know how things really work, read the DIS where people share their actual experiences.

If one works for DCL, they quote the party line whether they know or believe it to be accurate or not.

Last edited by kcashner; 01-18-2013 at 08:33 AM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
This is one of the standard e-mails they send. I have not seen embarkation begin after 12 for over 10 years and 20+ DCL cruises. In reality, embarkation begins when they are ready, which is typically 11:45, but I've personally seen as early as 11:30 and others have reported even earlier.

And yes, you have to select an arrival time to complete on line registration (love the way they say "IF") unless you are platinum or concierge.

As usual, this is another example of the smoke screen that DCL puts out. At the risk of being overly cynical, if you want to know how DCL SAYS things are, listen to their pre-recorded messages, read their e-mails and press releases, etc. If you want to know how things really work, read the DIS where people share their actual experiences.

If one works for DCL, they quote the party line whether they know or believe it to be accurate or not.
Love the DIS, that's why I always come here for the real-life answers!! Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: