Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #271
s232271
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2val View Post
We used BOI Dec 1 and yes it is hard to find if you have never used them . There is no sign anywhere that I could see. When I booked online i printed out the confirmation and it had directions on it how to find them. We followed them exactly-- without them I never would have believed that what looked like an abandoned building was a parking garage. That being said we were happy with service and would use them again.
is it right on the corner across from the terminals?
we are using them in March. thanks!
s232271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #272
bwallace
Keeps Pulling Me In

Quote:
Originally Posted by s232271 View Post
is it right on the corner across from the terminals?
we are using them in March. thanks!
yes. it is an unmarked pink warehouse. the entrance is just a few feet from the corner. Across the street from the terminals and across from the building that has the elevated walkway.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #273
BearChick
Earning My Ears

I'm 21 pages late to this party, but I lived in Galveston from 2006-2010 and owned a few stores downtown and on the beach. So, if you have any questions about Galveston, I'd be happy to answer what I can. We are cruising in Feb and this will be our first trip back to the Island since we moved--we are looking forward to seeing some friends and eating at some places we miss dearly!

If you've got any questions, like I said, I'm happy to answer what I can.
BearChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #274
BearChick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Emmy View Post
Ok, I'll admit I didn't read this whole thread! Can anyone give a recommendation of a good restaurant in Galveston for the night before our cruise? We enjoy fine dining, but will have our DD4 with us (she's usually well behaved, but she IS 4)! We will be driving in, so any where in town is fine! Thanks!
Your best option is going to Casey's on Seawall. Casey's is owned by the Gaido family, who (obviously) owns Gaido's next door--a 100-year legend on Galveston Island. Casey's is more casual dining (if you like fine dining, definitely just suck it up and go to Gaido's. Order the Shrimp Pegues and some shrimp bisque and thank me later!) with a more family-friendly atmosphere and burgers and such for the kids, but they still have the same quality of Gulf-fresh seafood (not always the same dishes) served at the flagship restaurant next door. The chains like Landry's, etc. use frozen seafood from all over the place. Gaido's gets theirs fresh daily, straight from the Gulf.

I lived in Galveston for 5 years and have made literally THOUSANDS of restaurant recommendations to tourists on the Island and I've never gone wrong sending someone to Casey's or Gaido's.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #275
BearChick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Hello! I was hoping someone familiar with the TX area could help us out. We have never been to TX so we are really unsure about what to do. We are flying into IAH the night before our cruise (actually 12am on the day of our cruise! ). I have that night booked at the springhill suites as they have a free shuttle from the airport and a room that sleeps 6. After that is where the confusion comes in. I don't know if we should just do the Disney transfers to the port or hire a town car. There is no real affordable option for a party of 6. A rental car (minivan) is over 600 for the week and a one way rental seems impossible. Furthermore, I don't know what to do for the day we get off the ship. We do not fly out until 3 pm the next day. I called Disney and they can put us in two rooms at the hotel Galvez but they can't "guarantee connecting rooms" They can only request it. I have read mixed reviews about this hotel on travelocity and I am worried it isn't really kid friendly. Also, we won't have a car so can we walk anywhere? Is there enough for 4 kids to do in that area? Or should I take a town car back to Houston for the day? I saw there is an Embassy suites in Downtown Houston. Is that a nice area? All 6 of us will fit into one room there and I saw that there is a children's museum and zoo. Of course, this requires a third town car to take us back to the airport the following day. I am so confused and starting to regret picking Galveston as our first port to cruise from just because the transfers/ where to stay before and after seem so hard. Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thank you!
I wouldn't say the Galvez is "kid-friendly." Meaning that it doesn't cater to kids...by the same token, I would never say it's kid un-friendly. It's a beautiful historic hotel (built after the great hurricane of 1900.) If you won't have a car, the Galvez is in a great location for you. You can walk to the beach, walk to the Pleasure Pier (a new amusement-style park built out over the water--they demolished the Flagship Hotel after Hurricane Ike and built this in its place), and there are restaurants you can walk to. I think you'd be fine there.

Downtown Houston and the Zoo and the Children's Museum are nowhere near each other, really. The zoo and the museums are, but I wouldn't say Downtown is convenient to them. The Medical Center is more convenient to them.

I think you will like Galveston. Rent a rickshaw or some bikes from one of the shops on Seawall--the kids will like that--and you can get just about anywhere along the beach. If you want to take a cab over to the Strand (where the cruise terminal is) there are other restaurants there, plus some shopping and things like the Great Storm Theatre (tells the story of the 1900 hurricane) and some ghost tour thing that recently opened at 23rd and Harborside.

You can also take a cab to Moody Gardens and visit the Rainforest Pyramid, IMAX, and aquarium for less than cab fare between Downtown Houston and the zoo or museums there.

Give Galveston a try. She might surprise you.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #276
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearChick

Your best option is going to Casey's on Seawall. Casey's is owned by the Gaido family, who (obviously) owns Gaido's next door--a 100-year legend on Galveston Island. Casey's is more casual dining (if you like fine dining, definitely just suck it up and go to Gaido's. Order the Shrimp Pegues and some shrimp bisque and thank me later!) with a more family-friendly atmosphere and burgers and such for the kids, but they still have the same quality of Gulf-fresh seafood (not always the same dishes) served at the flagship restaurant next door. The chains like Landry's, etc. use frozen seafood from all over the place. Gaido's gets theirs fresh daily, straight from the Gulf.

I lived in Galveston for 5 years and have made literally THOUSANDS of restaurant recommendations to tourists on the Island and I've never gone wrong sending someone to Casey's or Gaido's.
What about a good Mexican restaurant?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #277
Snow white 5
Earning My Ears

We are traveling into IAH as well the night before our cruise, I was thinking of taking Disney transfer down to the cruise but we will stay another night after the cruise and I am not sure what to do. Do you all have any suggestions our flight is at 1:15pm the following day. We will be five of us I hate to get a rental for a week just to park it. Is there something fun we could do? I was thinking just going back to a hotel and swim. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Snow white 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #278
BearChick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewilmingtonwalls View Post
What about a good Mexican restaurant?
The Original on 14th and Market or Rivera's Mex-Sal on Broadway (doesn't look like much, but is really good)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #279
pluto1974
Earning My Ears

information on this thread is awesome.

Has anyone used Z limosine for transfers? They just quoted me $30/person + tip for a one way trip from my hotel near IAH airport to the cruise terminal. that's pretty much the same price as the Disney ground transfer. Advantage is that I don't have to go back to IAH to catch the ground transfer or wait for the disney coach to leave. But the cheap price has gotten me second guessing if this is legit or not.
pluto1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #280
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearChick

The Original on 14th and Market or Rivera's Mex-Sal on Broadway (doesn't look like much, but is really good)
Thanks!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #281
BearChick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewilmingtonwalls View Post
Thanks!!!
Sure! The Original is more TexMex, Rivera's is more "authentic" and also features Salvadoran dishes. Pick whichever best suits your palate. We ate at Rivera's almost weekly for years.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #282
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Galveston Parking

Is BOI walking distance to ship? Also, BearChick where would you park for DCL?
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #283
suziesas
Earning My Ears

We are staying at harbor house the night before our cruise. What is a good restaurant within walking distance with a three year old?
suziesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #284
bwallace
Keeps Pulling Me In

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotraveltx View Post
Is BOI walking distance to ship?
their website has a shot that shows you how close it is. it is directly across from terminal 1.

Terminal 2 is only 100-200 yard to the left of terminal 1.

having used them in December , I would definitely use them again.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #285
dpequignot
Earning My Ears

I'm going to ck w Z limo also tomorrow since we are flying in night before and staying close to IAH for March 1 cruise but not sure i want the hassle of ground transfers
dpequignot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: