Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

new blog: Guest Assistance Cards Vs. FastPass+

http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/01/...-battle-begin/

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I saw it. I really wish people (in this case disunplugged, not you) wouldn't bring up topics when nothings actually been published about how the subject at hand is going to work. They're stirring up controversy just for the sake of doing it. The whole discussion is going to become one huge bash against those of use who need GACs rather than any kind of real discussion on the changes to come or even how they really work today.

There is potential for some great things to happen for GACs using FP+ and there's potential for things to get really frustrating. I'm very anxious to see how it goes.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Piper
DIS Veteran

I have been using a GAC for many years and an ECV for the last 10. I have NEVER gone to the front of ANY line with the GAC. (even though I have several stamps.) I am not sure you have your facts straight!! Also, you cannot tell by looking at me that I have problems (Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Neurofibromatosis, type I, degenerative disc disease diabetes, high blood pressure, previous stroke and unfortunately a few others.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In an ideal world, any headaches could be avoided by having an extermely consistent policy and making sure every CM followed it to the letter.

Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. Conditions on the ground can vary drastically. Sometimes it's more expeditious to load PWD faster. Sometimes there isn't enough space for a separate waiting area for people who need it. And the elephant in to room is, Disney is too cheap to pay for the level of training that would make following a policy consistent, and too cheap to pay to have enough managerial backup for frontline CM's.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

It's articles like this that make it hard on those of us who truly need the GAC.

Thinking about it more and more, I would ask that the article be pulled down or at bare minimum reworded to not make people think that the GACs provide faster access, they don't and those of us that need them know that.

Yes, some attractions provide faster access, but many do not.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

With multiple diabilities including hearing loss it would not be possible to use FP+. Unfortunately WDW doesn't have the schedule for the interpreters up until the week before your trip so you have no way to schedule rides and mesh them with the interpreter schedule. GAC is the only way I can do both rides and shows with interpreters without doing them on separate days.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Maybe I'm looking to deep into this article, but when I read it all I took from it was anyone can get a GAC because GS will not question or deny you and that GACs are instant fast-passes. I know from personal experience that this is not the truth. I could be wrong, but I think an article like this is only going to encourage more abuse by people who think they are getting FOL and will also fan the flames of the people who already give GAC and EVC users dirty looks. I could be totally wrong, but that's just my 2 cents.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
With multiple diabilities including hearing loss it would not be possible to use FP+. Unfortunately WDW doesn't have the schedule for the interpreters up until the week before your trip so you have no way to schedule rides and mesh them with the interpreter schedule. GAC is the only way I can do both rides and shows with interpreters without doing them on separate days.
I know this is slightly off topic, but is WDW not like DL that will provide interpreters on any day with at least 2 weeks notice?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
Maybe I'm looking to deep into this article, but when I read it all I took from it was anyone can get a GAC because GS will not question or deny you and that GACs are instant fast-passes. I know from personal experience that this is not the truth. I could be wrong, but I think an article like this is only going to encourage more abuse by people who think they are getting FOL and will also fan the flames of the people who already give GAC and EVC users dirty looks. I could be totally wrong, but that's just my 2 cents.
No, I think you are completely right, which is exactly why I would like to see it modified or taken down.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Agreed. This article is definitely written in a way that's telling people "hey there's this big loophole ( for lack of a better term). Come exploit it because everyone else does!!"
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Emagine
DVC Member

Location: DVC Mom smoothered in the Homeschool Room teaching 2 Autistically Wonderful Boys

I admit that thread not only confused me but made my head hurt...and or spin!

I am not really a fan of the FP return for a GAC. Maybe for some cases certain people may agree or accept. I will not speak for a disability I am uneducated about.

I have 2 boys. Youngest with Aspergers, the other is Autistic but more severe with other issues. We just recieved his Service Dog and he will be going with us in March for the first time. To walk up to a ride that they will actually do and be told to come back hours later will for sure ensure a meltdown. We learned with Splash Mountain the hard way when it broke down.

It is hard to predict how we will be one hour, 2, 5 hours later. Good, great, headed to the room after a bad meltdown. I would rather wait and use the GAC like we have then to walk up to a ride only to tell the boys we can not wait in line for it like we have for 10 years and we have to come back later.

Color me nervous with this one.
Emagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emagine View Post
I admit that thread not only confused me but made my head hurt...and or spin!

I am not really a fan of the FP return for a GAC. Maybe for some cases certain people may agree or accept. I will not speak for a disability I am uneducated about.

I have 2 boys. Youngest with Aspergers, the other is Autistic but more severe with other issues. We just recieved his Service Dog and he will be going with us in March for the first time. To walk up to a ride that they will actually do and be told to come back hours later will for sure ensure a meltdown. We learned with Splash Mountain the hard way when it broke down.

It is hard to predict how we will be one hour, 2, 5 hours later. Good, great, headed to the room after a bad meltdown. I would rather wait and use the GAC like we have then to walk up to a ride only to tell the boys we can not wait in line for it like we have for 10 years and we have to come back later.

Color me nervous with this one.
Well...it's all speculation, not even necessarily based on any solid rumor. And the original Blog is clearly incorrect in much of what is stated.

Emagine: while I don't know how you have experienced GAC but receiving a handwritten FP has definitely been a possibility over the years, albeit not one that we've encountered frequently. Usually it's because there was a large back-up of people waiting for the accessible cars and we would have ended up in line behind that. A GAC is not intended to shorten lines, whether entering through the FP queue or other alternate entrance. Many seem to be of the impression that a GAC definitely shortens wait time, and while I'll agree that has happened sometimes, we definitely have experienced the opposite as well with longer waits. So dependent on what your GAC indicates, needing to return at a later time may be your best option unless you wish to wait in the standby, which is sometimes shorter but not always acceptable depending on needs.

But I refuse to get riled up about rumor over mere speculation that is all based off a poorly written and inaccurate blog post. Is there a problem, most likely yes; is it as rampant as some believe, I don't think so; will WDW (or DLR) make changes at some point - again, likely yes as they see fit and obviously they have not felt it was necessary yet.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I know this is slightly off topic, but is WDW not like DL that will provide interpreters on any day with at least 2 weeks notice?
WDW has a schedule of days when interpreters are at a park and what shows they will be interpreting. You can ask for a change if you absolutely cannot follow that schedule but since I go so often (4 to 6 times a year) I am reluctant to ask that be changed to suit my time frame. I do ask for interpreters for dinner shows, tours and special events as needed.

I believe that DL is going to this now as well as they have a set schedule that I saw on FB.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
mistysue
DIS Veteran

If you are getting upset by the article you may need to try to step back from the subject a bit. I know that can be hard when it directly effects you, but it's just somebody saying that we factually know there is a problem with GAC abuse. Everybody knows that it happens so there is no need to be in denial. Because there is a problem, we should expect that Disney is going to try to make a solution. They are not saying every person abuses it.

I don't really get the opposition to giving a return time pass. As keeps being said in defense of the GAC, it is not meant to be a fastpass, it is meant to accommodate needs if you can't do the regular line for some reason. So if the regular line has a 15 minute wait and you are going to be mad if you can't load the ride for 15 minutes, maybe you need to rethink how you are using the thing. There are thousands of people in the park that day wishing they had their 15 minutes of line time to grab a drink, check out a shop or take a potty break. It is meant to assure that every guest has equal ability to ride, see shows and enjoy your day, not a pass to gain some super ability to skip 2 hour lines as much as desired. Obviously loading issues affect it's fastpass-like qualities, which I believe is the ONLY reason anybody with a GAC may be entering through the fastpass lane. I think that is an unintended bonus for disabilities that effect a person's ability to be in the standby line but not their ability to get on the ride. I don't think people want to be locked in a private room until their turn, so is there any actual fair answer? One that is fair to EVERY guest?

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I thank God every time we go that we do not need a GAC. However, our very close friends do need one for their ds that struggles daily with autism. My son & he are close friends: I *know* they wouldn't be able to visit WDW without the GAC accomadations. I do not know how they are accomadated & it is not my business to know. I know how quickly his disease makes circumstances change & a hand written return in 2 hours would NOT work. He needs a more concrete response than that, not that he can't wait, but he needs to "see" that he is waiting for, say, space mountain, not we can come back later. I don't think there is a whole lot of "time" understanding. I really hope this doesn't change so much that it becomes useless. It makes WDW available to so many people. I thought the article was crass in making it sound like FOL access & here is a primer in exploiting this angle. I would like to think people aren't abusing the system, but I'm sure some do. I just don't know why we have to post an infomercial on "here's how to do it." I read all the comments & was incredulous that the author would not alter or take down his article. I really found it in poor taste. I hope FP+ won't leave people out, but from what I've read I don't like what the plans seem to be. JMO
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: