Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
GOOFYsince71
I know there is no glass slipper in the world that will fit my foot

HELP! allergic to 75% of ingredients!!

I am familiar with the "Black Book" of ingredients at MOST restaurants,and after visiting WDW many times, know to contact WDW allergists....BUT...is there ANYWHERE that I can view the Black Books of Ingredients online BEFORE I get to WDW so I don't spend half my time reading instead of resting and vacationing???...The whole reason to go is to GET AWAY from it all!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

No, I'm sorry there isn't
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
720L
DIS Veteran

I've talked to someone at WDW dining by email before that sent me ingredients to the breading on the chicken strips, the ingredients to the Mickey ice cream bars, etc.. I'm sorry I can't remember the email address though! What I do know is I would still want to read the ingredients AT the restaurant, because things can change.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)(AOA: October 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

To avoid the black book of ingredients, we only do table service meals. The chefs come out which means they have to worry about what is safe and we aren't stuck reading ingredient labels. In between the table service meals, we supplement with snacks that we know are safe.

I have Celiac Disease, my mom has Celiac and a soy allergy, and my brother has a peanut allergy. I spend most of the year reading ingredient labels and I don't want to spend my vacation reading ingredient labels and worrying about what is "safe or not."
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Try checking out http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/ and http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/ I know that the GF/DF blog had the contact info the past. However, as much as I hate to say it, you should still be checking the ingredients each and every time. Disney frequently changes suppliers, so a meal/restaurant that may have been fine a week ago, may now contain your allergens. Once at CBR, the chef had to bring out the package for my DM as the food item wasn't in their black book yet it was so new.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

You should ask on the disABILITIES board. They will have lots of helpful info. We have some eating restrictions, and if you contact Special Diets they can send you a list of all of the allergy-friendly foods at various snack and QS locations around WDW. Email them and request they email you the "Food Allergy/Dietary Reference Sheet." My list is from Jan 2011, so it is out of date now. If you also need gluten-free food, you can ask for the "No Gluten Added Products" List. They don't list all ingredients, just common allergens each item is free of, but it's a start. I know it's nice to be able to plan where you'll be eating rather than running around reading the books everywhere! You will have no probs at TS, of course, because the chef will cook to your specifications. Def. go ask on the disABILITIES board. You'll get a lot of help over there.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
GOOFYsince71

Smile Thank You

I'd like to thank you all...
My allergy, unfortunately is to Coconut/Palm oil...
With the Food industry cutting back $ everywhere they can,
they use it as a substitute for butter,it is MUCH cheaper.
It is knowingly in EVERY bagged candy, cookie, snack cake,
and all creamers, most gravies, and even Disney Hot Chocolate.
Their Creamer Pump at all resorts has Palm and coconut oil in it!
Most bakeries use butter still, but the majority use vegetable oil in some form (which has palm) I can't even have Cool Whip or Ice Cream anymore..!!!(only some vanilla is safe!)
I guess it is a Mandatory DIET that I never would have chosen!! It has taken a lot of getting use to....But I'm almost there. I just am surprised EVERY day,,like MOST of you have said.....that I have to check the ingredients all the time because they change!...If it didn't affect my breathing and respiratory system, I would take a few chances.. but it is too risky!...I am going to buy stock in Benadryl before this vacation! Thanks for all your kind replies!
OH!! did I mention NO movie theatre popcorn!! Coconut oil~~....I have to wear NOSE plugs so I don't get tempted by the great smell~
GOOFYsince71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Contact the Special Diets department to get a list of the allergy products. You can then look through the lists to see which have coconut and plam vs which don't.

I just took a quick look at Enjoy Life cookies (the current allergy cookie option at WDW) and they don't look like they have them. I don't remember for sure but I think the popcorn might have coconut oil; I know it's dairy free but I can't remember off hand what it uses for the oil but for some reason I'm thinking coconut. I didn't check the regular ice cream but the Rice Dream (it's a vegan ice cream) doesn't look like it uses coconut or palm. Take some time to go through the products. You might find that you actually have some options.

At table service restaurants, chefs will make sure that your meal is free of your allergens. It's very easy at TS restaurants.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
720L
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOFYsince71 View Post
I'd like to thank you all...
My allergy, unfortunately is to Coconut/Palm oil...
With the Food industry cutting back $ everywhere they can,
they use it as a substitute for butter,it is MUCH cheaper.
It is knowingly in EVERY bagged candy, cookie, snack cake,
and all creamers, most gravies, and even Disney Hot Chocolate.
Their Creamer Pump at all resorts has Palm and coconut oil in it!
Most bakeries use butter still, but the majority use vegetable oil in some form (which has palm) I can't even have Cool Whip or Ice Cream anymore..!!!(only some vanilla is safe!)
I guess it is a Mandatory DIET that I never would have chosen!! It has taken a lot of getting use to....But I'm almost there. I just am surprised EVERY day,,like MOST of you have said.....that I have to check the ingredients all the time because they change!...If it didn't affect my breathing and respiratory system, I would take a few chances.. but it is too risky!...I am going to buy stock in Benadryl before this vacation! Thanks for all your kind replies!
OH!! did I mention NO movie theatre popcorn!! Coconut oil~~....I have to wear NOSE plugs so I don't get tempted by the great smell~
Coconut oil is my nemesis! My DD is allergic to coconut oil/tree nuts (not palm oil--are they related? maybe I should check into that) and you are right it is in EVERYTHING. She hates that she can't have the hot chocolate & popcorn at Disney. (She really can't have hot chocolate anywhere except McDonalds). Is it new that Cool Whip has coconut oil?? I don't remember it being a problem before but during the holidays I read the package and noticed it. The movie theater popcorn is a huge disappointment for her. I really really wish Disney would change their popcorn. It's such a nice snack in the parks. At least the soft serve ice cream is ok for her. Other than the items I mentioned, she doesn't have a problem eating at Disney. We only eat CS and I can't really think of anything she can't have that isn't obvious. Good luck.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)(AOA: October 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
GOOFYsince71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720L View Post
Coconut oil is my nemesis! My DD is allergic to coconut oil/tree nuts (not palm oil--are they related? maybe I should check into that) and you are right it is in EVERYTHING. She hates that she can't have the hot chocolate & popcorn at Disney. (She really can't have hot chocolate anywhere except McDonalds). Is it new that Cool Whip has coconut oil?? I don't remember it being a problem before but during the holidays I read the package and noticed it. The movie theater popcorn is a huge disappointment for her. I really really wish Disney would change their popcorn. It's such a nice snack in the parks. At least the soft serve ice cream is ok for her. Other than the items I mentioned, she doesn't have a problem eating at Disney. We only eat CS and I can't really think of anything she can't have that isn't obvious. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your good wishes,,and good luck to you also...Cool Whip,and all frozen whipped toppings, even generic have Palm oil...and Yes , they are related...so be careful,,When researching Palm and coconut,,there are about 20 or more names for them (due to people who boycott Palm) so be very careful Have a great week...Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: